• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie - Lockright Debate.......Which One?

boomhauer said:
I've had both in a d30.

Aussie is a bigger unit and made some real terrible noise when turning left. Was great off-road and Torq-Masters customer service is phenominal.

I now run a Lock Right which fits into the 4.56 carrier alot easier than the larger bodied Aussie did. I get just the ratcheting action now with the odd locker bang. Great off-road and no info on customer service.

I really wish the Aussie had worked out for me but didn't. There was NOTHING wrong with the locker, just one of those anomalies that occurs with Jeeps.

Next will be selectable.

HTH. -B

I know some carriers need to be ground down a little for it to fit properly. I have also read on some D30s the drivers side axle shaft needs to be ground down a little too. This would explain the turning left issue.

I have not ran into either on any D30s, but did on a D44 rear once. However in that case you couldn't even install it in the carrier without some grinding.

jeepnuts311 said:
personally, i liked my lockright's "manners" better than that of my detroit

Well yes, Detroits are a different story, especially the older ones!

Last edited:
UNCC- I would not pay anyone either,and it is going in my front dana 30 axle,I will learn to drive with one in the rear 44 when it is ready to go in. I have been in the auto repair for 20 years now and have Master ASE cert status,150 GM certs and now almost all of the Hyundai certs,I am a gluton of my own punishment on the install.Kinda cool that some of the Aussie people out there are posting what they have experienced,some with issues too...interesting.

interesting debade, I was convinced that detroits (full) are smoother than an aussie. Are they truly so bad on the street? I was thinking on puuting it in my 8.8 ....

not trying to hijack this thread

XJMarty said:
interesting debade, I was convinced that detroits (full) are smoother than an aussie. Are they truly so bad on the street? I was thinking on puuting it in my 8.8 ....

The new ones are supposed to be smoother, but I don't have any first hand experiance with them.

However, A full carrier replacment is an excellent choice for an 8.8. In this axle, the stock carrier is a big weak link anyway.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
I know some carriers need to be ground down a little for it to fit properly. I have also read on some D30s the drivers side axle shaft needs to be ground down a little too. This would explain the turning left issue.

Great info, first i've heard of this fix. Do you know how much the axle/etc. needs to be shaved, or any place you can point me too? Thx. -B

The grinding of the carrier is actually in the install instructions for the Aussie.

As far as the axle shave, I have never done it. I have only heard rumor of this, and it is mentioned in this thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=918000. I wouldn't think much would need to be shaved. However shaving the heat treated shaft will be a bit of a PITA.

Of course before shaving anything, I'd suggest making sure the steering stops are adjusted properly. You don't want them to exceed the operating specs of the U-joint or you risk breakage anyway....ask me how I know...

OK I'm sold on the Aussie after I read that post on pirate 4x4 thanks for providing the link!!!!!!!!! Plus it's too late ,ordered it last night!! Direct from Aussie........=offroadlockers.com.What sold me was the fact that I was checking out the dates that people have posted,and the fact that He did work on first design from "LA lockers" funny the pattent was sold a few times............................:rolleyes: or at least thats what it seems like.Probably a bump with heads on changing it and how much it would cost I bet,so the original designer went off on his own.Thats just my guess though.........:gag:

XJMarty said:

i have had my full case detroit for about a year, so its pretty new. (dana 44) my installer told me that the ones for dana 35s are terrible

the detroit stays locked more than the lockright, it doesnt rachet as easily, so its not "harsh" but not as smooth

-Tim

I have had some issues with the Aussie in my D-30. It is extremly noisy on the street. I've been through it several times and it and the diff is put together right.

The issue I have is the "clunk,clunk,clunk" that I get on slight turns. on sharp turns it clicks as it should.

Part of the problem for me maybe that I'm running 30" tires, 4.11 gears, don't know just a hunch.

Everything in my axle is new from the shafts to the ring and pinion. I ran the set-up trouble free for a year before adding only the locker so I feel its the locker itself.

Off-road the locker performs as it should.

Good Thread. I ran a Lockright in a rear D44 with 36 inch tires for 5 years before it failed. The Cross Pin finally broke, and when it did, it destroyed the R & P. I replaced it with a Detroit.

I too am in the lock right / Aussie debate. I just saw a guy here yesterday that swears by his lock right in the front D30. Says it has no bad manners on road... and all the stuff that was making me lean toward an Aussie.

Now that I hear there are issues with fitment / grinding / etc. I may have just decided to go with a lockright.

Harvo said:
Good Thread. I ran a Lockright in a rear D44 with 36 inch tires for 5 years before it failed. The Cross Pin finally broke.............
Curious..........Was it a stock Dana crosspin or Powertrax Zytanium?

Last edited:
Well I went with the aussie and it does the "clunk,clunk,click,click" thing.No big deal just noise,its supposed to do that,it has quiet down some bit.I havent had a chance to really wheel it here at UNF in NC cause I just finished my Kevlar clutch install today and need it to break in before I get to use it.I did how ever try to see what the aussie does ,before I pulled my jeep in the shop I nudged up against a tree and put er in 4 lo,grabbed my hand throttle,feet on clutch and brake ,and gave er a go at it.Well it rode up the tree for about 2 ft!!! Yup Aussie is werkin!!!!!!!:eyes: oh yeah I did NOT have to grind anything,and the measurements in the install manual are right in the middle of both specs.

Last edited:
Just installed my aussie today and didn't have to grinda a thing. install was easy. I do get the clunk clunk clunk but thats no problem for me. i took it to the cabin after we finished up and I am very impressed with the performance of it.

I have an Aussie in the front and I have one for my Dana 44 sitting on the bench. After two years on a rear minispool, daily driving for the last 12 months has driven me to dump the minispool since its eating tires far faster than I an stand. Aussie install on the D30 was dead simple and it has performed flawlessly. Only issue, and this goes for any autolocker in the front, is that on patchy ice under braking it can kick in and make the front end wash out. Thats not an Aussie problem, its a front autolocker problem.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Aussie locker.

John

Aussie front, lockright rear...

like em both.

got 4 new springs for my aussie after I lost one, just paid for shipping...

Broken 4 front shafts, ausie is still fine.

never broken a rear shaft, but the lockright hasnt given me any issues...

just pick one... if you dont like it, sell it for $20 less than you paid for it...

its not like in a sport where $300 tires, $250 driveshafts, $400 axle shafts, and $200 u-joints are considered 'wear items' the $200 price of a locker seems rediculus...

Back