• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie - Lockright Debate.......Which One?

Um...........Yeah this is what I was expecting when I posted this thread......UNCC I absolutely agree with you on support USA made stuff--well whats left anyways!!!!!! I am actually recieving a ZOOM test clutch from them for my XJ which includes a Cryogenic proccessed flywheel and clutch pressure plate with a kevlar disc......which is made right here in The good ole USA,actually right down the hi way a bit from me.Again yes support USA.........:wantyou: Plus I do like the fact of replacement parts,warranty,etc.......... Let this thread proceed-time will let the XJ gods steer me straight--"bump" free!!!!!!!!!:roll:

Have a Lock Right in my 27 sp 8.25. Installed the locker in about an hour with a buddy. Couldn't get the aussie obviously, but I love the lock right. First test I did with it was leave about a nice cloud of smoke and 25 ft of two black lines of rubber on my street. Works flawless off road.

uncc civilengineer said:
2. Limited Warranty, meaning if it's not a manufacturer's defect.. your SOL. SO, can you get replacement parts?

I don't know about parts, I will try to find out though. (unless aussielocker chimes in)

uncc civilengineer said:
3. Been around for what 3.5 years... they'll come

Well, I'm sure someone has had problems, I just haven't seen any first hand. I wheel with quite a few that run these (including myself). I have also installed 5 and they never had any issues. However everything breaks if abused.

uncc civilengineer said:
4. What broke on the Lock Right?

The lock right had broken sheer pins. They actually damaged the alignment holes when they went.

uncc civilengineer said:
5. smoother when ratcheting... I'd say buy a No-Slip or selectable locker if smoothness when rounding turns is that big of a deal..

Can you get a no-slip for $250 shipped? Plus this is Lock Right vs Aussie, not Richmond vs Aussie. I was simply listing the benifits.

I understand, Im not saying Aussie is junk or anything along those lines (again I have one if a front 44 sitting in my garage)... Im just saying that you cant compare (broken wise) something thats only been out for a very few years to something that's been out for 15 or so.

Of course everyone's saying I've never seen a broken Aussie because honestly what's the Lock Right to Aussie ratio?... I thought I saw some broken on Pirate but may be wrong. So, after Aussie has been around for 15 years and still no broken peices then it's just plain amazing.

Also, most broken Lock Rights seem to be install errors? Like I said earlier there's buggies around here running then behind large V8's not breaking anything? maybe once broke a shear pin... I'd say Lock Right is pretty tried and true.

Finally nothing's perfect otherwise there would only be 1. And my comment about smooth ratcheting I was just stating that if you want it to drive like a car... then buy a car...

Last edited:
I've got a Lock-Right in my D35 and plan on locking the front pretty soon, personally I don't care that my rear end clicks when I back out of spaces at parking lots or turn slowly, its kind of fun looking at the expressions on peoples' faces.
But for the front I'm going to go with which ever has the better price, warranty, service, shipping etc..
They are both priced about the same, so which ever is a couple $$$ less I'm going to go with.

I've got an Aussie in the front of my TJ and I love it. I'm pretty sure that 90% of the people on Jeepforum.com who run an auto locker up front run an Aussie locker and I haven't heard of one breaking in the last couple years I've been hanging out there.

As far as availability you could try www.northridge4x4.com. Dave's a good guy and well respected on the JF forums.

uncc civilengineer said:
I understand, Im not saying Aussie is junk or anything along those lines (again I have one if a front 44 sitting in my garage)... Im just saying that you cant compare (broken wise) something thats only been out for a very few years to something that's been out for 15 or so.

Of course everyone's saying I've never seen a broken Aussie because honestly what's the Lock Right to Aussie ratio?... I thought I saw some broken on Pirate but may be wrong. So, after Aussie has been around for 15 years and still no broken peices then it's just plain amazing.

Also, most broken Lock Rights seem to be install errors? Like I said earlier there's buggies around here running then behind large V8's not breaking anything? maybe once broke a shear pin... I'd say Lock Right is pretty tried and true.

Finally nothing's perfect otherwise there would only be 1. And my comment about smooth ratcheting I was just stating that if you want it to drive like a car... then buy a car...

I'm not saying the Lock Right is junk either, and yes in general there are more lock rights to Aussies. I think our local club has more Aussies than lock rights now though, and we have over 30 Jeeps in our club (of course they aren't all locked).

One of my Friends with a YJ wants to change his Lock Right for an Aussie because the Aussie is more predictable on the road. His Lock Right jerks him all over when he shifts. He drove a Jeep with a rear Aussie, and the difference was big enough for him to want to change.

Yes the Lock Right has been around longer, but I would say Torque Masters has the experience to make a great product.

Torqmasters website said:
Torq-Masters Technology, Inc. was founded by Bill and Cathie Cole. Bill is a former off-road racer, a vehicle sponsor, winner of the UFWDA 1st Presidential Award, and an off road enthusiast. He also was one of the founders of Vehicular Technology Inc. (manufacturer of the Lock Right * locker), and has an extensive background in international technology management.

We have a very experienced group of advisors and engineers who direct new product development.Included are individuals who have multiple patents in locker and differential technology. Our advisory group has over 50 years of direct locker experience that translates into more innovative products, high quality and a commitment to supporting our customers.

We are not some multi-million dollar conglomerate where lockers are not even worthy of a mention in the annual report. We are a small business and look forward to serving you, our customers and fellow off road enthusiasts.

* Lock Right is a trademark of Richmond Gear

The Lock Right that had broken had been fine for a couple years, and was installed properly. It wasn't on my Jeep, so I don't know the exact cause. I just know it happened somewhere at URE, and I doubt he was being easy on it. I do know the locker broke before a stock D30 shaft/U-joint did though. I have broken 2 shafts in mine and the Aussie is just fine.

I have read (somewhere) about a broken Aussie, and they covered it under warranty, no questions asked.

Once again, I'm simply listing my opinion of the benefits from what I've seen first hand. Like this guy http://www.pirate4x4.com/productreviews/aussie/

Either one will do the job, and is a good product. I am not trying to argue that (especially with an "engineer"...jk) It's just if I had the choice, I'd go Aussie.

I have a lock-right in the rear and an aussie in the front. The ausie is very new so I haven't beat on it a ton. The Lockright has been in a few years now and it works "ok". I had to run 75/140 synthetic in the rear to make it work like it should on the street. I had a lockright in the rear of my old yota as well, it had at least 70K miles on it when I sold the truck. It worked well other than driving the truck left on one shit and right on the next :).

WOW this IS a delema-which one? Both seem great-I like to investigate as to what to get on mostly everything I put in the heep.This by far has been a tuff thing to conquer.To me,it seems so far it has a 80% Aussie vote and the rest for Lockright.........I can see the breakage ratio to number of either locker out there,just that the Aussie does seem stronger though,I am aware that everything is diff between set ups and what you do with it and how you drive all comes into play.AHH the choice goes on..........Damned if ya do Damned if ya dont..........."man I just KNEW I shoulda got the -other-locker" comes to mind...........:shiver:

Either way you will get basically the same result in the end....TRACTION.

I doubt you'll regret your purchase, whatever you decide. But your 80% may mean something.

Just lock it, wheel it and have fun!:)

My decision of this same issue was made easy for me......by Aussie and the many people who buy them. I made my decision to get the Aussie based on strength/warranty but everyplace I tried to buy one from had them back ordered for three months. This was a little over a year ago. I needed to get my front end lock for an off roading trip and since the Locrite was in stock I got that. Haven't had any problems with it, easy to install, daily drive my vehicle with no issues. If I had to do it again and the Aussie was in stock I would get it, but the locrite is a great alternative if it's out of stock.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
One of my Friends with a YJ wants to change his Lock Right for an Aussie because the Aussie is more predictable on the road. His Lock Right jerks him all over when he shifts. He drove a Jeep with a rear Aussie, and the difference was big enough for him to want to change

regardless of which is made "stronger", both aussies and lockrights do the exact same thing, and work the same way..both will do crazy things when put behind a 5 speed, so will a detroit locker because it is essentially the same thing as well.

dont be fooled into thinking an aussie wont act like a lockright, because it will....even a detroit locker which costs 3 times more will do that...its caused by loading and unloading torque on the locker, which unlocks it and then locks it back up, sometimes causing a jerk, its not as noticeable in an automatic because they shift smoother.

i ran a lockright with 33s for years and it performed flawlessly, could hardly tell it was there, when i took it out and sold it, it was still in perfect condition..now i run a detroit locker in my dana 44 (its a little rougher than the lockright, actually)

-Tim

jeepnuts311 said:
dont be fooled into thinking an aussie wont act like a lockright, because it will....even a detroit locker which costs 3 times more will do that...its caused by loading and unloading torque on the locker, which unlocks it and then locks it back up, sometimes causing a jerk, its not as noticeable in an automatic because they shift smoother.

Yes...to a degree, but both rigs I referred to are 5 speeds. The review I linked to on pirate says the same thing, it's just not directed to a Lock Right in particular. I'm sure anyone that has ran both would say the Aussie is smoother with less jerking. This is simply because it is machined with tighter tolerances, so everything operates a little smoother.

And your definitely right about the auto being less noticeable.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Yes...to a degree, but both rigs I referred to are 5 speeds. The review I linked to on pirate says the same thing, it's just not directed to a Lock Right in particular. I'm sure anyone that has ran both would say the Aussie is smoother with less jerking.

personally, i liked my lockright's "manners" better than that of my detroit...but i honestly cannot vouch for the aussie, since i have not ran one, but i can vouch for my lockright, i bought it new, no box or instructions, a few searches on the forums and google, and my bro and i installed it in about 2 hours.

both the lockright and the aussie should be similar, and are great lockers for the price, i would flip a coin, get either one and wheel the piss out of it.

for on road manners and off road locking, my ARB is my favorite, tho :)...best of both worlds...little pricey, tho

-Tim

Yup I got me a 5 spd.So now I know what to expect,well kinda,when I install it.i do agree install is the key for it to work and last as for tolerences and mesuremnts go.Hell I might go down to 4wheelparts here in NC to see what they carry in stock.They price match ya know.So cost from them will be the lowest.:eeks1:

markaboo929 said:
Yup I got me a 5 spd.So now I know what to expect,well kinda,when I install it.i do agree install is the key for it to work and last as for tolerences and mesuremnts go.Hell I might go down to 4wheelparts here in NC to see what they carry in stock.They price match ya know.So cost from them will be the lowest.:eeks1:

Not really.... when they add taxes, etc. it'll be a little more... I also wouldn't pay them to install it, but that's just me.

As for a locked rear 5spd, from what I've seen it takes some getting used to and driving style changes...

I've had both in a d30.

Aussie is a bigger unit and made some real terrible noise when turning left. Was great off-road and Torq-Masters customer service is phenominal.

I now run a Lock Right which fits into the 4.56 carrier alot easier than the larger bodied Aussie did. I get just the ratcheting action now with the odd locker bang. Great off-road and no info on customer service.

I really wish the Aussie had worked out for me but didn't. There was NOTHING wrong with the locker, just one of those anomalies that occurs with Jeeps.

Next will be selectable.

HTH. -B

Back