• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie Locker - Street manors on snow and ice

I can totally attest for the braking. If your rear brakes aren't dead nuts on the ass end will lock. Here in snowy Minnesota I've had my rearend go bang and lock up under extreme slick conditons. Glad to hear I'm not the only one this has happened to....

Ahh yeah I figured the detroit unlocked as well. Does it unlock better or something? no click? smoother? What is the benefit, really?

My aussies come with an 'unlimited tire size warranty', and that's quite the statement when it comes to a 'cheap' locker.

I don't have experience with the dual lockers in the snow yet, I just had the rear last year. I agree with the slowdown/speed up statement 100% - the locked axle drives straight much better, you can be doing 80mph on the highway and hit a patch of snow with one tire and you don't even notice it because the traction on the other tire keeps the 'snowed in' tire from spinning up. Going around corners is a little sketchy because as you said, it wont unlock unless there is sufficient traction on both tires... but it's manageable.

As for braking, when you step on the brakes the locked rear end is more likely to lock up because if ONE side locks, the other locks too and you have effectively no lateral traction on your rear end.. fishtail city.

I can totally attest for the braking. If your rear brakes aren't dead nuts on the ass end will lock. Here in snowy Minnesota I've had my rearend go bang and lock up under extreme slick conditons. Glad to hear I'm not the only one this has happened to....

I got to find out what it's like to have dual lockers in the snow under hard braking..sweet zombie jesus it sounds like your truck is exploding.. but it's fine!

FYI, dual lockers in the snow ROCKS. super stable on the road, changing lanes across deeper snow etc etc..

I have a lockright in the rear of my xj and I love it. I think it is more controllable then the open diff. I know it will swing out and when it does I am ready for it. Open diffs were just guessing for me when driving in the snow. Will I spin out here? If it does can I correct it with the gas pedal? Will I get traction on both rear tires? Or get stuck spinning one?

Hey plus with 3.55s 33s and the locker when it rains I can get the back to slide out nicely and impress all my rich buddies that have bmw traction control. Ha ha my tires hate me

Good info on braking with an Auto locking rear. My last Jeep had ARB's and my current XJ has a Aussie in the D44. Yestarday I was driving to the gas station and hit the brakes pretty hard on gravel, well it made a pretty loud sound, both wheels locked, and I fishtailed all around. I figured it was a quirk of an Auto locker but wanted to be sure. Later I hit them pretty hard on asphalt and they locked both again and fishtailed. Pretty scary the first time or two but can be gotten used to. As for snow driving, I have driven in the snow with a front lockright and it was great. The locker really helps you plow through the snow

In short, you will learn to drive better because the locker will act up if you do not.

Locking both ends gets you though snow OK, but sucks on ice because the front will understeer when power is applied. Torque steer affect is doubled because there are now two lockers unlocking and locking between shifts.

I just learned to deal with torque steer :gee:
I have a lockright no-slip in the back and I've never had any problems with it in bad conditions, granted it hasn't snowed in Atlanta in years... In the rain it does fine though (Not like we've had alot of that either...)
I also agree with slcpunk74, it's very predictable when the back end does decide to get loose.

I live in Flagstaff, AZ. In case none of you have seen, we've recieved about 4 feet of snow in the last two weeks. I've lived here for 22 yaers, so plenty of experience driving in the snow. In my opinion, I like how lockers work in the snow and ice. Far more than any LSD or open diff I've had before.

My XJ has a detroit in the 8.25 and still open in the d30 until next week when I get my aussie put in. I love lockers. Sure it can get a little squirly, but just wait until there are no cars around and then get crazy.

Ok, I have a question... My front axle is non-disconnect. It used to have full time 4WD but the transfer case was swap out years ago. So an Auto locker is a bad idea right? hehe

Ok, I have a question... My front axle is non-disconnect. It used to have full time 4WD but the transfer case was swap out years ago. So an Auto locker is a bad idea right? hehe

You'll be fine with a front locker.

I installed my TruTrac locker in the rear (D44, 4:56). I too was worried what it would be like when Ice Season hit. I'm happy to report they work GREAT with no unusual behavior. In fact, I'd say it makes it a lot more stable on ice, but that's with an open front end.

only thing i did when i lived in ice area was to go studded tires front and rear...period--with lockers..........front and rear and did i mention-DON'T DRIVE STUPID?

Anybody with a no-slip or aussie for that matter notice when it's extremely cold out that the locker is a bit sluggish to react? I'm assuming it's 85-140 I'm running in -20* weather but on two different occasions now I've caught it just right at a slight turn maybe 50 yards from my driveway and the inside wheel will spin like crazy on the snow. After about a mile or two of driving it's back to normal. Anybody else get this?

Last edited:
lockers only unlock when there is traction.. in the snow they will stay as locked as a spool....unless you mean it's UNLOCKED.

aussies and lockrites both stay locked unless forced to momentarily unlock. If your's is unlocked then there's a different issue.

Yeah, I guess "spins like crazy" needs to be better qualified. Spins like crazy faster than the outside tire--i.e. unlocked as per Kinslayer's point?

Lack of ground forces from lack of tire traction will equal a "no unlocking" condition, forcing the inside tire, which would ordinarily move slower in a tractive situation, to rotate at the outside tire speed, since in a turn the vehicle weight, and thus available grip given equal tire conditions, will move to the outside. This being so, the tires move at the most tractive tire's speed, which is the faster moving outside tire. It's just like when you hit the gas in a turn and you squeal the inside tire (with an auto locker), but with less traction it happens much more quietly and with much less throttle.

--wp11

With thicker gear oil in extreme conditions may warrant this to happen from what I've been told by powertrax. It never has an issue unless it's below zero out. And it's only for about a mile or two. Per the manual "very high viscosity lubricants or very cold lubricants can cause sluggish engagement and disengagement. When lubricant is cold we recommend that you drive the vehicle slowly for a few miles to warm the oil, especially before subjecting it to difficult offroad maneuvers." was told that basically everything is running through goo and the springs have a hard time forcing the driver to the coupler under light loads.

That sounds pretty reasonable. I hadn't noticed that behavior with my Aussie, but then again, I'm running lower viscosity gear oil than you and usually drive pretty mildly on the road with it.

--wp11

Back