• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ass-Hat police officers

bluebullet6

NAXJA Forum User
So my buddy and I were wheeling this last Saturday in the Farmington Flats area in Utah. We were spotting for one another on a few hill climbs and some off camber spots. We were both in and out of our vehicles off and on, both of us had sway bars disconnected and PSI set at around 15. We were both in our jeeps driving to the next set of obstacles (at about 3mph on a single lane dirt road that can only be accessed by 4x4's) when up pulls two Davis County deputies in a Polaris Ranger 6x6 off road vehicle. They turn their lights on and pull us both off the trail and then ask us why we're driving without seatbelts... Oh I dont know officers, maybe because we're not anywhere near paved roads, or maybe because we're traveling at 3mph in the mud, or maybe because after about 300 yards on a dirt road with a seat belt the seat belt becomes so cinched and tight I just might have suffocated (none of which I said). They then gave us both a ticket for not wearing seatbelts. We went in to fight the ticket where the judge reduced the fine from 45 to 15$, but still, what a load of horse crap. Why does "the man" have to be such an ass face?

If the road had a designation associated with it, i.e. a county road number or whatever, you were wrong. Maybe they were a little overzealous, but in the end a violation is a violation. At least it only cost you $15.

Maybe, the seat belt law intention was to reduce injuries in collisions, unfortunately the letter of the law and the intent of the law are open to interpretation and while a case could be made for the ticket under the letter of the law the cops were a bit on the stupid side to do it, wanted to show they did something during their 'off road patrol' and further up the line justify the cost of that polaris 'Look, we wrote 400 seat belt tickets'. Had one trooper around here that used to look for simpson harness type 5 point, he'd pull them over and write them a ticket for not wearing the stock seat belt... go figure...

How about a police officer giving someone a warning ticket because he had an "air freshener" hanging from his rear view mirror (obstructing forward vision)?

bluebullet6 said:
So my buddy and I were wheeling this last Saturday in the Farmington Flats area in Utah. We were spotting for one another on a few hill climbs and some off camber spots. We were both in and out of our vehicles off and on, both of us had sway bars disconnected and PSI set at around 15. We were both in our jeeps driving to the next set of obstacles (at about 3mph on a single lane dirt road that can only be accessed by 4x4's) when up pulls two Davis County deputies in a Polaris Ranger 6x6 off road vehicle. They turn their lights on and pull us both off the trail and then ask us why we're driving without seatbelts... Oh I dont know officers, maybe because we're not anywhere near paved roads, or maybe because we're traveling at 3mph in the mud, or maybe because after about 300 yards on a dirt road with a seat belt the seat belt becomes so cinched and tight I just might have suffocated (none of which I said). They then gave us both a ticket for not wearing seatbelts. We went in to fight the ticket where the judge reduced the fine from 45 to 15$, but still, what a load of horse crap. Why does "the man" have to be such an ass face?
Are you serious? Wheeling without a seatbelt is as stupid as it gets. The cops were right. Take this as a lesson and wear it from now on. What if you had rolled? Your interior would be playing ping pong with you.

Starscream918 said:
Are you serious? Wheeling without a seatbelt is as stupid as it gets. The cops were right. Take this as a lesson and wear it from now on. What if you had rolled? Your interior would be playing ping pong with you.

I agree. Doesn't matter if it's flat ground, you should wear them. it takes all but what 10 seconds to click together :rolleyes: Ticket wise maybe a warning would have been good, but then again each situation is different :cool:

ROb $.02

1zwdk05.jpg

:)

FELIX said:
it takes all but what 10 seconds to click together :rolleyes:

That long, huh? J/K :kissyou:

I rolled my XJ three weeks ago. Thank goodness, I did have my seatbelt on. And I was going about 2 mph. As a result, I suffered no injuries, although the Jeep was totalled.

so dmillion/wallysheata, we're the ass-hats then? I'm not sure i see where you're coming from. As I said, we didnt say anything to the police officers, but I guess we're ass-hats because we had just jumped back in our jeeps after surveying the last hill climbed and had driven maybe 50 yards when the cops rounded the corner. Kinda like a police officer nailing you after backing out of your stall in a parking lot... a warning would certainly suffice and the infraction is anything but malicious or intentional. I might add that their polaris ranger didn't even have safety belts, and they weren't wearing helmets. hmm. guess its because they weren't "most wheelers" and in the know with regards to their own safety.

bluebullet6 said:
so dmillion/wallysheata, we're the ass-hats then? I'm not sure i see where you're coming from. As I said, we didnt say anything to the police officers, but I guess we're ass-hats because we had just jumped back in our jeeps after surveying the last hill climbed and had driven maybe 50 yards when the cops rounded the corner. Kinda like a police officer nailing you after backing out of your stall in a parking lot... a warning would certainly suffice and the infraction is anything but malicious or intentional. I might add that their polaris ranger didn't even have safety belts, and they weren't wearing helmets. hmm. guess its because they weren't "most wheelers" and in the know with regards to their own safety.
It doesn't matter if you drove 50 yards or 50 miles, you were in the wrong. I never understood why people start to drive THEN put on the seatbelt. I do it before I even turn the ignition. It's not hard. As for the rangers, yeah, that is dumb, but sooner or later they'll get caught, too.

bluebullet6 said:
so dmillion/wallysheata, we're the ass-hats then?
Well, you asked, so I'll spell it out for you. Yes, YOU are the ass-hats!

Why? Because you were in the wrong, but even still you come on here with all this attitude and name-calling about the "ass-hat police officers." If you weren't acting like a cry-baby you would suck it up, admit that you were in the wrong, and accept that they were just doing their job.

I know that's a little harsh, but don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer.

well i think its bs that they did that.
people wonder why i dont like the 'po,
its because they have the supreme power to be assholes,
and take joy in doing it. cops are cops for two reasons.

one: they want to do good for their community

two: they like the power and control.

i have met far more of the latter.

but ive met a few decent ones too. Officer Clagget of the Clackamas county sherrifs, he's a good man.

Yeah, there are some cops who like the power and control. And it would have been real nice of the cops in this case to let the guys off with just a warning. But it doesn't make them "ass-hats" or "ass faces" just because they decided to issue the ticket.

I know that the original poster CLAIMS that he didn't say this or that, but he obviously has a very big chip on his shoulder, and he obviously has a very negative attitude about police officers. My guess is that the attitude came through in answering the cops questions. You don't think cops can pick up on that? My guess is that if he had been nothing but respectful and polite he probably would have gotten off with just a warning. But instead he was sitting there with "ass-hat" going over and over through his head the whole time, and THAT'S the reason he got a ticket.

bluebullet6 said:
1zwn1o9.jpg

I've never claimed to not be in the wrong, sure we didn't have our seatbelts on, but it wasn't something we both thought Hmm, I know, lets stick to the man by endangering ourselves.

Here is the Utah Traffic Law we 'violated'

http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITLE41/htm/41_04225.htm

You'll note that in the first line it says "The operator of a motor vehicle operated on a highway shall: wear a properly adjusted and fastened safety belt"

Merriam Webster defines highway as: a public way; especially : a main direct road.

We were on public land... a single vehicle width trail that only a modified 4x4 could travel safely without suffering damage. This is far from a main direct road. And why the double standard as far as safety is concerned? There is no helmet law in utah, and there were a number of atv's and motorcycles passed on our way up that were carrying passengers and riding without helmets... their plight would be much worse if an accident occured than mine would have been had i rearended my buddy at 3 mph.

Returning to Utah's current seatbelt law, you'll note that drivers ticketed for no seat belts can only be ticketed if they were stopped for another traffic violation or suspicion thereof. When stopped, the officers made it clear that was the only reason they had stopped us, both of us have current registration, mud flaps and such covering the tires etc etc., "For a person 19 years of age or older who violates Subsection (1)(a) or (2), enforcement by a state or local law enforcement officer shall be only as a secondary action when the person has been detained for a suspected violation of Title 41, Motor Vehicles, other than Subsection (1)(a) or (2), or for another offense."

We were basically victims of that nights ticket quota, and it pisses me off. We both drove out of there pissed off as well as those riding with us. If roles had been swapped and I were the policeman, I would have seen that the situation was unique, and these boys probably just forgot their seat belts as they were jumping in and out of their jeeps, or worse still, didn't realize a seat belt law applies in the back country.

All 4x4 safety issues aside (thanks for the brow beating), would anyone guess that a highway click it or ticket campaign would apply to a 4x4 trail 10 miles from the nearest paved road?

As far was what was said to the policemen... we inquired as to why they stopped us, to which they said because we had driven past them without seatbelts, to which we asked if the law applied on a dirt road, and pointed down the trail to where we were just standing outside our jeeps looking down the hill we had just climbed. You bet I have a big chip on my shoulder, and its because we were nothing but pleasant and neighborly to these two officers, and they still came back with little or no sympathy, then had the audacity to say "enjoy the rest of your night". It was as we were driving away that my distaste for these two officers started to brew, I had no problem before as I appreciate knowing when I'm in the wrong, and will do my best to correct my actions and comply with the law.

I've never thought of Utah as being a nanny-state. Guess things have changed out there.......

Back