• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone in SD able to help change a head gasket?

Old post I know, but did you ever get you rig back together? My buddy just fried his 98's head gasket and we're thinking about changing out the gasket ourselves. Anyone know of a good machine shop in the Whittier La Mirada area. I've also heard it's not always a good idea to do a valve job on high mileage engines.

Oh heck yeah we got his rig back together. Last i heard everything was going running great. I'm sure Dustin will chime in for any more details. If you don't have a repair manual, i suggest you get one.

Well over a week later and his rig hasn't blown any white smoke since that first day. Also I don't see any water in the oil or oil in the coolant. Maybe since it was really hot some trans fluid blew out of the dip stick or the radiator cap blew a little steam...

ok this might be a stupid question but what is the difference between having a valve job done and lapping the valves?

ok this might be a stupid question but what is the difference between having a valve job done and lapping the valves?

Lapping the valves only involves honing the valve seats using an abrasive compound to restore the sealing surface. A valve job involves machining new valve surfaces into the head as well as replacing bad parts.

Back