• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone heard of Rocky Road Outfitters?

their website is good for a laugh.

seems like they talk down every other suspension manufacturer saying their products are a waste of money and do nothing.

"longarms are dangerous if you drive on the street" for example

Because aftermarket suspension is based less on research and design and more on Voodoo Magic. duh

Thanks guys.. Just got done reading what everyone had to say and, Wow! I may try to find the same bargain somewhere else. Any ideas? I'm lookin for a 4 - 4.5" Kit.

I tell ya 5/8's of my XJ is Rustysoffroad and I have had alot of luck w/ them and their customer service. Everything I have had has been great except their adjustable trac bar, which after 2yrs. started eating bushings. After so long i didn't ask them to replace, but i got one of their nonadjustable trac bars for a 6.5 lift and no problems since.:cool:

I bought my BB through Rocky Road. I ordered the "deluxe" 1.5". It was a 1.5" shackle, spacer, and BPEs. When I got it, the shackles and spacers installed fine. The shackles are pretty beefy. Heavy metal, good welds, nice gusset in between the two "forks". The BPEs wouldn't fit right. We couldn't get them installed. I called and asked them about it, the response was, they work, they're universal, quit being stupid. Their response prompted me to decide to just send them back. They were very generous by offering to let me pay the shipping and a 15% restocking fee before they would refund the $20 price difference. Needless to say I kept them, he had mistakenly sent me an extra set of spacers for the front, so I figure I came out ahead:D. Fast forward 4 yrs. I bught a lift from DPG. It was his DPG/RE hybrid. Spoke to Dirk on the phone for a while, good guy to deal with. I also ordered the RE Hack and Tap and a CV driveshaft as well. We installed the lift, keeping the shackles and one set of spacers installed. I had a broken shock bolt, so after a bit, I found the old BPEs, and we welded one in place, and my brother in law found that the other one bolted right in. Why didn't they fit before? No idea.

Cliff notes:
Rocky Road products are decent, service sucks, ideology is weird. DPG is cool all around. Buy from DPG not Rocky Road.

I've had their rock sliders for about 7 years now and they've held up great. They take a beating and do their job. Just a little sanding and touchup paint to get rid of the rock rash and they're good to go. It did take a while to get but it's a good product.

I bought BPEs from them...they fit in the rear ok, but in the front I had to chop quite a bit off, and eventually, because the holes didn't line up with the bolt holes on the axle, they broke off and I had a nice shock to replace about a week after I realized they broke.

Shipping took two weeks for a one week shipment...I won't order from them again. I now buy from FullsizeXJ and Grimus.

~Scott

Dont buy any lift from them for Godsakes i bough one in Oct 08 and still didnt have the springs yet in December. And yes some of there guys have horrible attitudes not all of them. If you buy make sure all of your parts are in stock. I ended up getting my springs from 4 wheel hardware I got them the next week. Just be careful not to get ripped off. there prices dont always match

just because i have a few minutes to kill:

While longer control arms can help with the castor alignment setting, they do nothing to help with the ride quality and tracking of the Jeep.

If safety isn't much of an issue, if highway control and stability are not important, then the long-arm kits may be for you. While they do look impressive parked on a flex ramp or posing in a magazine ad, these kits do not allow your suspension to cycle up and down in the manner in which it was designed. So they can ride a bit spooky at highway speeds.

Almost as bad as poor quality springs nowadays are some of the "long arm" kits. Most of these kits do not allow your front axle to cycle up and down in the manner it was designed, which is why they ride so spooky at highway speeds. Long arm kits are fine for vehicles trailered to the trails. If you want to keep your vehicle and passenger's safe though, stay away from this latest fad as the rotating castor on these systems makes for screwy handling and you will curse the day you wasted money on it. If all you want is to build a trailer queen though... by all means, a long-arm kit may be for you.

No hocus pocus parts that are unnecessary (such as control arms)

Jeep engineered the Cherokee to be lifted.

We tried all the big 'name' shocks, Edelbrocks, Bilsteins, ProComp, Skyjacker, etc. All the same, all too stiff for the Jeep.

Control arms serve the purpose of helping to achieve proper alignment specifications and axle position when a Jeep is lifted. Not really mandatory until you get over 6" of lift

One thing you will NOT find at the Rocky Road manufacturing facility... long arm kits. We've been saying it for years, long arms kits make for great 'trailer-queens', but not for Jeeps driven at highway speeds. They cause your Jeep to turn like a skateboard which is not only spooky and unsettling, but also potentially dangerous. Even tech editors at the popular Jeep magazines have stated the same in head-to-head control-arm comparisons over the years.

If all it took for more suspension flex with no trade-off to safety and stability was longer arms, Jeep engineers would have done this from the factory. Jeep doesn't want millions of lawsuits from dead or maimed Jeepers though and engineered the best, safest system possible. Our control arms kits take their proven design and enhance it so you can feel 100% safe and comfortable in a well handling Jeep... whether its crawling thru huge rocks, blasting thru mud, bouncing up an off-camber hill, or driving on the road to get to work or vacation.

Some shops will sell anything to make a buck, but we at Rocky Road feel your life is worth more than 1-2" of additional suspension flex...
Avoid the long-arm kits.

and thats just the suspension section

Yeah, because everyone knows that there has never been a factory offered long arm suspension on a vehicle...

Oh wait...

Ford F-series and Bronco from the 1970s-80s
Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80, UZJ105, etc...
Mercedes-Benz Gaelendewagen
Land Rover Discovery, Series III/D90, Range Rover
Plus others...

Yeah, all those trucks are squirrelly at speed and ride like sh!t.

:rolleyes:

I bought BPEs from them...they fit in the rear ok, but in the front I had to chop quite a bit off, and eventually, because the holes didn't line up with the bolt holes on the axle, they broke off and I had a nice shock to replace about a week after I realized they broke.

Shipping took two weeks for a one week shipment...I won't order from them again. I now buy from FullsizeXJ and Grimus.

~Scott
Maybe that was the issue. We tried installing the front ones 4 yrs ago, no dice. We were prepared to drill them out, do whatever it took, but there was no way to get the holes to line up. Which sucked, because we had just cut the bar pin out of the shock and had to make a last minute dash to the store to pick up a Metro shock so we could steal the bar pin so I could make the drive back home with all four shocks.

RRO has had dubious customer service ever since Glen started the company back in the 1990s.

If they have good prices on something they are reselling and you don't mind waiting then go for it.

I personally wouldn't roll the dice on anything they make in house. There are SOOO many options for vendors when building a Jeep why take the chance?

You know, I think I may have had the only good experince of anyone with them on here. Year ago i ordered a safari snorkel through them and the customer rep on the phone informed me they did not carry them in stock and it would take 3 weeks to get it. Then he noted that I lived in the same general area as ARB's ( the distributor) west coast hub and that he could write me a P.O and I could pick it up inperson saving me shipping. I was really very happy with this arrangment. Was this just a lucky fluke???

RRO has had dubious customer service ever since Glen started the company back in the 1990s.

If they have good prices on something they are reselling and you don't mind waiting then go for it.

I personally wouldn't roll the dice on anything they make in house. There are SOOO many options for vendors when building a Jeep why take the chance?
I talked to them a few times over e-mail while deployed and he seemed like a nice guy (back when I was looking at stuff for my Tracker) so when I got the XJ, that's why I ordered from them. I had a problem with the order and suddenly he wasn't so nice.

I got my tow hooks from Rusty and when I didn't receive the hooks (brackets without hooks) I called and he was very friendly and apologetic. He had them expressed to me and I got them within 3 days.

Back