• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone else with PWR STR leak

JVRacer04

NAXJA Forum User
got a 89 with a crazy power steering leak

it leaks from the lid, power steering pump is brand spankin new
lid will get saturated in a few minutes of driving .. my old pump did this too

it didnt do this right after i replaced the pump... took a few weeks for the cap to become saturated

tried to seal the threads on the cap with teflon tape... somehow made the leak a lil worse?

i guess ill go buy a new lid even tho nothing sees wrong with mine

iono... just very damn weird, has anyone else had this problem with their 87-90?

I fill mine to the add line when it´s cold (or a little above) and leave some room for expansion when it gets hot.
The only issue I´ve had with mine were the lines rubbing on the top of the steering box on two different XJ´s a 87 and an 88. They both almost rubbed through in the same spot. I bent the hard lines a little (for clearance) and put a split piece of heater hose over the lines as protection.
My steering pump resivoir often has a lite coat of oil on top, but not enough to worry about, I always figured it vented a bit and the oil mist settled on the top of the resivoir. I wash it off occasionally.

Back