• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody swapped a ford 8.8 into an xj?

xj_freak

NAXJA Forum User
here is the thing im swapping a 8.8 into my xj 92 and im just curious if any one has done it also what would be the best gears to run in it it has 33 in tires (i broke my Dana 35 as soon as i put 33s on it that's why im swapping )i was told the 8.8 is supposed to be stronger than a Dana 44 plus its a disk brake too any info would help thanx.............

Yea, it's been done a lot. 4.56 would be the best gears to put in it. Yes, it's stronger than a 44. Have fun installing it under your jeep! :D

ya im about half done i got this thing for free an cut all the mounting hardware of from my Dana 35 to use on the 8.8 it came out of a mustang so i have to set the whole thing up but it ought to be fun

ya its the right width its the exact same axle they run in the explorer as far as the 31 28 spline i dont know all i know is its 273 gears and a posi with disk brakes i havent looked in to it any further i have been just cutting all the bracketry off as far as the with its a little wider than my dana 35 was wich is cool with me

well i need to regear anyway but at least ill have a better axle the kid i got it from said it was the better axle but who knows well see when i break into it

It'll be the 28 spline axle. Only 2005 and up mustangs come with the 31 spline varient. It won't be worth the time and money to swap it.

Wow, 8 hrs and no one has mentioned the word
SEARCH!!!
You guys are getting too nice.

thats not always true cuase this axle is a 31 spline and its out of a 96 mustang with a4.6 litre might it be thats it was a cobra....? any ways i pulled them tonight and looked and counted the teeth..on the axle..

Last edited:
kid4lyf said:
Wow, 8 hrs and no one has mentioned the word
SEARCH!!!
You guys are getting too nice.
i just figured you guys know enough about the xj that someone here might have already done it so i just asked soooo sorry if i cuaght you at a bad time but usually people that actually care about the xj and modification will be willing to help a newbie like me so thanks for the oppinion!!!!!!

xj_freak said:
i just figured you guys know enough about the xj that someone here might have already done it so i just asked soooo sorry if i cuaght you at a bad time but usually people that actually care about the xj and modification will be willing to help a newbie like me so thanks for the oppinion!!!!!!
Yes, it's been done here. It's a very common mod.
There are countless threads about doing it. Hence the recommendation to do a search.
Believe it or not, this comment IS meant to help a noob out. Those of us who have done these mods sometimes get tired of answering the same questions over and over when the info is so easily available if you bother to look yourself.
I'm trying to teach you to fish, so to speak.

ccflexj said:
cobras are independend rear suspension so no luck there

Early Cobra's are not IRS, they are 31 spline mono-beam.

Solid Rear axle.

OEM Ford term for solid axles is mono beam.

Last edited:
Some of the GT's and Cobras had 31 spline shafties. It isn't that uncommon. the benefit of the mustang swap is that the pumpkin is centered so you only have to have one spare shaft.

The downside is, it has weker tubes than the explorer and it's still a c-clip. But I beat the piss out of mine and it has no problems.

TRUSS THIS AXLE!!!!!!!! WELD THE TUBES TO THE CENTER SECTION!!!!!!!! If not, your housing WILL flex and you will be a not so happy camper.

Back