• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody hacked up an overheard console?

Andy:

I haven't been out to Hershey in a couple of months (damned gas prices running from $2.999 to $3.199 around here, and my XJ gets 16-20 mpg!). Mom lives in Annville, home to Lebanon Valley College and Ft. Indiantown Gap. Annville is about 10 miles east of Hershey.

I'm at my "weekday" home in northern Bucks County, about 5 miles south of Quakertown.

How about them Phillies?? National League East champions! The Flyers are "back with a vengeance", the Sixers SUCK and the Eagles are back to .500, but McNabb is nearing the end of his career.

I kept my Novice callsign because I like the phonetics: "Kissing All 3 Pretty Young Ladies". Yours may be similar - "Kissing Girls, 4 Pretty Looking Hotties"... ;-)

Bill

ChuckstrPT said:
Hey Bill,
Ya know, I don't know the answer to that...and you are likely to get a good answer on these forums! In the two years since that post....I've never moved the antenna! And now I've got a V8000 sitting on the top of my dash, as well as CB mounted in the overhead, with a matching "no ground plane" antenna onthe other side of the hatch. The set up has worked well so far, and I've never checked the SWR...oops.
Andy, KG4PLH

ps. how are things in Hershey! Haven't been there in a while....I'm actually from Philly.....and I like Chocolate!

OldsVistaCruiser said:
Andy:

I'm at my "weekday" home in northern Bucks County, about 5 miles south of Quakertown.

Bill
Small world...I grew up in Southampton, Bucks Co.

and back to the SWR, I'm thinking that it depends on the LENGTH of your antenna and coax, not the HEIGHT. But I've been wrong before......:wave:

ps. your mileage is GOOD...I haven't seen 20mpg since I started lifting/tiring...I'm doing good to get 15, and most of my driving is interstate to work.

Andy:

(Note to our moderators - I don't know how to take this part of the thread private!)

I lived in Warminster for 18 years - I moved up here in October 2006.

Did you know a guy named Arnold ("Art") Smith, KA3NTZ? He lived right off of Davisville Rd. on the Southampton side. He's now a SK (for non-hams, SK=silent key=dead). A friend of mine, Randy (N3KKU), rented a room from Art for a long time.

Bill

ChuckstrPT said:
Small world...I grew up in Southampton, Bucks Co.

and back to the SWR, I'm thinking that it depends on the LENGTH of your antenna and coax, not the HEIGHT. But I've been wrong before......:wave:

ps. your mileage is GOOD...I haven't seen 20mpg since I started lifting/tiring...I'm doing good to get 15, and most of my driving is interstate to work.

OldsVistaCruiser said:
Andy:

(Note to our moderators - I don't know how to take this part of the thread private!)

Bill
PM sent.......:wave:

neat! I might have to put a CB up there when I get a chance, haven't really considered what to buy yet. I've got my FT-2800M mounted in the dash where the stock radio normally goes, as mine was broken... in fact I gutted it, dremeled out most of the internal mounting tabs, and bolted my radio into it as a bracket. Works great. I'll have to take some pictures sometime...

I don't know if an FT-8800 will fit as well as an FT-2800, but if it's a similar size it should fit rather nicely. I had about 1/8" to spare vertically and approximately 1/2" to 3/4" to spare horizontally, which is going to contain a two-input stereo mixer and a line input jack for an ipod/equivalent "when I get around to it".

Ken, W1KAS

neat! I might have to put a CB up there when I get a chance, haven't really considered what to buy yet. I've got my FT-2800M mounted in the dash where the stock radio normally goes, as mine was broken... in fact I gutted it, dremeled out most of the internal mounting tabs, and bolted my radio into it as a bracket. Works great. I'll have to take some pictures sometime...

I don't know if an FT-8800 will fit as well as an FT-2800, but if it's a similar size it should fit rather nicely. I had about 1/8" to spare vertically and approximately 1/2" to 3/4" to spare horizontally, which is going to contain a two-input stereo mixer and a line input jack for an ipod/equivalent "when I get around to it".

Ken, W1KAS

misc05115.jpg

I mounted mine facing the opposite way as the pic earlier in this post...thinking pointing the speaker backwards would help with sound...but it does make it hard to reach/see the display. Luckily, once on the trail, I don't change the channel. The plan was to mount an IC-208 on the surface behind it...but ran out of money. Wound up putting a V8000 dead center, on top of the dash....less than ideal...too visible, but easily reached and heard well. Ran all the cables up in the headliner, power forward to the passenger side kick panel fuse, Coax back to the hatch to this...
CBmount002.jpg

Had the 2 meter on the driver side, "no ground plane" CB on the passenger side. Worked well...didn't get destroyed on the trail.:cheers:

Back