• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody hacked up an overheard console?

BSH

NAXJA Forum User
I'm interested in mounting a CB in my overhead console (96 XJ Country). Has anyone sliced up this console for mounting such things there? Any tips, pics? Thanks.

You might think about a piece of flat bar or channel between the sunvisor mounting screws.

Some mount them on the console or just under the dash.

Is this hacked enough? The CB is from Wal Mart. It's the Maxxon unit. It fits right in the garage door opener holder.

is.php

That's exactly what I've been thinking. I'm going to take if off, and see how much room here is. I'd like to mount the CB facing forward, and behind the sunglass space (sun glass door has been broken and removed). And, mount my Dual Bander facing backwards, more towards the front, where the sunglass and garage door opener doors are. I'm thinking of getting a dual bander with removable control panel, and mounting that on the side that faces me. May make it easier to see. I like the idea of having the radios up there, because then I won't have to wire in external speakers. That's been a pain in the past. I think this would be ideal, feed the coax back inside the headliner, and out to the hatch were the antenna's are. My question, is there a source of "clean" power and ground up there?? Or will that create havoc with the electrics of the vehicle?? I'm figuring on facing the Ham radio at me cause I'll be using that one a lot more regularly than the CB, which is primarily only on the trail.

ChuckstrPT said:
That's exactly what I've been thinking. I'm going to take if off, and see how much room here is. I'd like to mount the CB facing forward, and behind the sunglass space (sun glass door has been broken and removed). And, mount my Dual Bander facing backwards, more towards the front, where the sunglass and garage door opener doors are. I'm thinking of getting a dual bander with removable control panel, and mounting that on the side that faces me. May make it easier to see. I like the idea of having the radios up there, because then I won't have to wire in external speakers. That's been a pain in the past. I think this would be ideal, feed the coax back inside the headliner, and out to the hatch were the antenna's are. My question, is there a source of "clean" power and ground up there?? Or will that create havoc with the electrics of the vehicle?? I'm figuring on facing the Ham radio at me cause I'll be using that one a lot more regularly than the CB, which is primarily only on the trail.
There's wiring and ground for the lights. Is it clean? I dunno, but my CB works.

DSCN0749.JPG

get a ZJ overhead console with the CPU, its prett easy to wire in if you already had the CPU, otherwise you just got to get a few sensors. but anyways, this is what my overhead CB install was like :Thumb:

TOm

Hey Terry seeing that you have no headliner, maybe you could answer something. How wide is the sheet metal header at the top of the windshield that runs across the width of the cab?

I'm thinking of mounting my CB up there and want to know how far back I can mount it.

I did exactly what you are talking about. Found the overhead console from an early 90's xj, mine didnt have the wiring harness there for the computer so I scrapped it, used a dremel and the Radio shack basic 40 channel CB fit perfectly! Not only do I have a CB in the overhead but I actually have map lights that work and a place for my sunglasses.
P1010079.jpg

karstic said:
Hey Terry seeing that you have no headliner, maybe you could answer something. How wide is the sheet metal header at the top of the windshield that runs across the width of the cab?

I'm thinking of mounting my CB up there and want to know how far back I can mount it.
It goes across the width of the windshield and is about 8" deep into the cab, but about 1" on the front and back sides are flush to the roof. There is about 5" to 6" of metal that you can screw into.
HTH

ChuckstrPT said:
I'm figuring on facing the Ham radio at me cause I'll be using that one a lot more regularly than the CB, which is primarily only on the trail.

Any pics of where you got the ham at now? How about your antenna and where and how it's mounted. I'll be getting a FT_8800R soon With a larsen 2/70 NMO on top.

Okie Terry said:
It goes across the width of the windshield and is about 8" deep into the cab, but about 1" on the front and back sides are flush to the roof. There is about 5" to 6" of metal that you can screw into.
HTH

Thanks Terry

Are you saying that you can get the trip coputer functions to work if you get the computer and sensors with it? I have never heard of anyone being able to do that. It is easy enough to get the temp and direction to work but not the fuel side of it. Where is the computer that works the fuel trip functions then? As for sensors, there should not be any extra as they only need a input from the injectors, speedo drive and power needed. Thats all mine requires that I have fitted from an aftermarket supplier.

Are you saying that you can get the trip coputer functions to work if you get the computer and sensors with it? I have never heard of anyone being able to do that. It is easy enough to get the temp and direction to work but not the fuel side of it. Where is the computer that works the fuel trip functions then? As for sensors, there should not be any extra as they only need a input from the injectors, speedo drive and power needed. Thats all mine requires that I have fitted from an aftermarket supplier.

I have done it. take a look here and click on the projects tab.
www.paceenterprises.us

natep1 said:
I have done it. take a look here and click on the projects tab.
www.paceenterprises.us

There is no mention there of the trip computer though? Just what I mentioned above which has been done many times before. Sorry but miss understood when you mentioned computer, I thought you meant a trip computer that tells you your mpg.

Tom,

Thats one sweet setup. I think that is the route Im going to take with my XJ. How much did that cost you?

TXjeep98 said:
Any pics of where you got the ham at now? How about your antenna and where and how it's mounted. I'll be getting a FT_8800R soon With a larsen 2/70 NMO on top.

Sorry for the late reply. I'm using a Kenwood HT in a RAM mount screwed to the center console just to the Right of the Trans shifter. The antenna is mounted with a "clip" style mount on the drivers side edge of the rear hatch. I chose that to be able to adjust the height of my antenna. Right now it's low so I can get in and out of garages, but could be moved up with the twist of a couple hex screws. I thought of an NMO on top, but thought the antenna would have to be so short to allow garage access that I canned it. My mount is a compromise in performance, but the daily convenience over ruled performance!
HTH

Gawd...another thread reminding me that I really need to clean out the garage so I can finish this project...
light_project.gif

The idea is to get the radio out of the dash so it doesn't bake CDs all the time. The console is off, so I guess this would be the perfect time to take some pics and make some measurements...

deathwobblezj said:
DSCN0749.JPG

get a ZJ overhead console with the CPU, its prett easy to wire in if you already had the CPU, otherwise you just got to get a few sensors. but anyways, this is what my overhead CB install was like :Thumb:

TOm
I was gonna post a pic of mine till I saw this.
Identical.
However, you don't have to use a ZJ console. My '99 console is that same exact one.
You just put the CB in place of the garage door opener and sunglass holder.

Wouldn't adjusting your antenna height mess up your SWR (antenna match for non-hams)?

I'm in the process of installing an early-style overhead console in my '92 Laredo, but have run into some wiring problems (see related thread) as far as knowing which wires go where in order to make the compass/thermometer work.

I'm going to be using the compartments on the console since my mom has a garage door opener at her house (where my ham ticket resides) near Hershey, PA.

Hope you got your setup done up right - these guys on this forum are great!

Bill
KA3PYL

ChuckstrPT said:
Sorry for the late reply. I'm using a Kenwood HT in a RAM mount screwed to the center console just to the Right of the Trans shifter. The antenna is mounted with a "clip" style mount on the drivers side edge of the rear hatch. I chose that to be able to adjust the height of my antenna. Right now it's low so I can get in and out of garages, but could be moved up with the twist of a couple hex screws. I thought of an NMO on top, but thought the antenna would have to be so short to allow garage access that I canned it. My mount is a compromise in performance, but the daily convenience over ruled performance!
HTH

OldsVistaCruiser said:
Wouldn't adjusting your antenna height mess up your SWR (antenna match for non-hams)?

I'm in the process of installing an early-style overhead console in my '92 Laredo, but have run into some wiring problems (see related thread) as far as knowing which wires go where in order to make the compass/thermometer work.

I'm going to be using the compartments on the console since my mom has a garage door opener at her house (where my ham ticket resides) near Hershey, PA.

Hope you got your setup done up right - these guys on this forum are great!

Bill
KA3PYL
Hey Bill,
Ya know, I don't know the answer to that...and you are likely to get a good answer on these forums! In the two years since that post....I've never moved the antenna! And now I've got a V8000 sitting on the top of my dash, as well as CB mounted in the overhead, with a matching "no ground plane" antenna onthe other side of the hatch. The set up has worked well so far, and I've never checked the SWR...oops.
Andy, KG4PLH

ps. how are things in Hershey! Haven't been there in a while....I'm actually from Philly.....and I like Chocolate!

Back