• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any potential problems with "Zip Tie Shift" Mod?

Ghetto2315

NAXJA Forum User
Just recently I have learned of the "Zip Tie Shift" Mod where you use zip ties on the tranny cable that connects to the throttle, and tightened by pulling out some of the slack in it after it connects to the TB.

Anyways, the free zip tie shift mod definetly works. My shifts are firmer and faster in both my 94 and 00 XJ... but I couldnt help but think of any potential negative side effects that this mod may cause.

I asked Dino Savva over at JU and he stated that although the mod works and provides faster and firmer shifts, it will shorten the life of the tranny so basically to sum it up, its a trade-off between faster shifts and reduced tranny life.

For those who have done the mod, have any thoughts? If what Dino said is true then I'll be taking off my zip ties, but what a shame... I really liked it

Basically just find the tranny cable on your throttle body.. take up the slack, and place zip-ties on the line to keep it stretched out..

why don't you just readjust the kick down cable?
Same thing.
The top of the bracket is a button, push it then pull back on the outer black part of the cable till you get the adjustment you want.

I have had mine pulled all the way out since i got my jeep. It helped the part throttle highrpm shift a ton.
I don't feel that it will kill any tranny life at all, Since it slips less in the shifts. The only draw back to tranny life would be the harsh shifts into overdrive when at part throttle, Or if it got an internal leak due to the added line pressure at all times.

Shift kits have been around for decades. They promote a faster more firm shift. It is generally thought, and marketed by these companies, that a firmer shift reduces the slippage of the clutch packs and actually lengthens the life of the tranny.

old_man said:
Shift kits have been around for decades. They promote a faster more firm shift. It is generally thought, and marketed by these companies, that a firmer shift reduces the slippage of the clutch packs and actually lengthens the life of the tranny.

I wonder why the car manufacturers didn't think of that? I'm sure most of them program slow shifts into the engine computer for a reason and it's not just to sap performance. Of course aftermarket companies won't admit that faster shifts could shorten the life of the tranny. If it's life is only shortened, say, from 150k miles to 100k miles, most people might not care anyway.

We'll i know that alot of manufactures make the tranny shift soft for people who don't like to feel the shift, It makes the whole vehical seem smother, ETC.
I know ford did it that way on their new auto's behind the 6.0PS, A very renouned tranny guy that does all of our trannys says he can eliminate the "Comfort shift" on those perticular trannys and get them to hold a lot more power through the shift.....

Bottom line, the faster shifts are usually only going to be harder on mechanical parts inside the tranny, And should have no adverse effects on the clutch's

Harder shifts won't hurt a thing, unless the shifts get to the point where you're breaking clutch drums or blowing the band strut bosses out the side of the case. And that only happens if you're drag racing, launching off a transbrake with slicks.

A harder shift decreases slippage, which reduces heat and makes the friction materials last longer. OE's spec mushy trannies that eat themselves so Grandma doesn't spill her coffee.

Ghetto2315 said:
... over at JU and he stated ...

That explains a lot. :D

The XJ is the first rig with an auto that didn't get a shift kit first thing. Lowering the amount of slip lowers the heat buildup. Any good auto will die because of the clutches going out or overheating long before anything else. Unless the motor is more than it can reasonably take.

JJacobs said:
OE's spec mushy trannies that eat themselves so Grandma doesn't spill her coffee.

I seriously doubt that especially when many manufacturers are offering 100,000 mile powertrain warranties, and grandma should know better than to drink hot coffee while she's driving.

Dr. Dyno said:
I seriously doubt that especially when many manufacturers are offering 100,000 mile powertrain warranties, and grandma should know better than to drink hot coffee while she's driving.

NVH is a primary concern of manufacturers, and one that sells cars immediately on the test drive. A hard shifting transmission would scare off the customers, so they shift smooth and soft and don't last nearly as long.

The main reason for soft OEM shift is for customer comfort...a secondary reason is so the vehicle will not be as likely to "sidestep" in a turn on low traction surfaces such as ice and snow....that would be a liability lawyer magnet. The manufacturers get a side benefit with soft shift because the shock loads are lower, allowing the use of such things as non-metallic thrust washers in place of torrington bearings. Luckily for us, the AW4 is a very well designed unit.

The benefit (to gearheads like us) of a faster shift is the the quicker application of pressure to the clutch packs...this does in fact reduce the wear of the clutches..But the real evil is the heat produced by the torque converter (assuming there is no maintenance issue or inherent design problems within the tranny). Yes, many trannys are built using the "value engineered" approach which leads to problems. As for the 100k warranty/it must be tuff....it's customers gained vs actual warranty claims. The vast majority of trannys are in fact driven gently, leading to a good chance of it making the entire warranty period. The manufacturers have the right to claim ABUSE to soften the impact of warranty. In the real world on a hard driven vehicle....a trans cooler and regular service will go farther to lenghten life than anything else.

I was just reading the first posts and it occured to me what you were talking about. Anybody that read this take note.. DO NOT ever do this mod to any auto trans. in any vehicle. This is what blows up trannies. I do mean "blowup" as in the tranny will blow all of a sudden and you will be stuck on the side of the road somewhere to only later on replace the whole tranny. If you want to have better shifts use a shift kit. And not any crazy ones either because they can blow trannies too.

John(XJ)Jeep said:
If you want to have better shifts use a shift kit. And not any crazy ones either because they can blow trannies too.

You know of one for the AW4?

Back