• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alexia's 1997 Comanche - 4.7L Stroker

gallery_1_12_1226306.jpg

gallery_1_12_995765.jpg

gallery_1_12_941506.jpg

gallery_1_12_731778.jpg

O-Gauge Steamer here on NAXJA let everyone know that Sprintex is wholesaling the remaining prototype XJ kits. I ordered one and it is on the way. This means I can install a professional setup and keep air conditioning.

Safelite came to install a new windshield today. I ended going with the rubber trim due to the condition of the chrome trim.

gallery_1_12_182184.jpg

gallery_1_12_2167.jpg

I gotta say I am loving this build.... Lots of patience and detail but who doesn't love a Comanche that you could start the odometer at zero...

I gotta say I am loving this build.... Lots of patience and detail but who doesn't love a Comanche that you could start the odometer at zero...

Lots of aggravating attention to detail. I spent six hours solely preparing the tail gate with it being the best of the two I have. Painted with cheap house paint, dents filled with wood filler, and paint that just was not there. There are still a few spots on it where I gave up and went to paint.

This is the last of the paint. I can put all the tools away and forget about it! This paint coverage is better than factory with 100% color everywhere an owner would normally look. Instead of primer still visible in some spots like around the fuel filler door.

gallery_1_12_152173.jpg

gallery_1_12_84592.jpg

gallery_1_12_189127.jpg

gallery_1_12_109217.jpg

gallery_1_12_1467.jpg

Lets ignore the blob of filler under the second E. After spending six hours of this tail gate, with it being the best of two, it was time to just paint it.
gallery_1_12_169262.jpg

Thanks! :D

So last week when I was putting the bed on the hoist hook failed. It fell fairly gracefully and I had to climb out over the truck's frame rails.
gallery_1_12_21861.jpg

Minimal damage
gallery_1_12_112742.jpg

The metal is stretched so getting it flat without removing it is difficult.
gallery_1_12_52410.jpg

This is going to be covered in Line-X eventually so I did a minimal respray on it.
gallery_1_12_96223.jpg

Since I was painting I needed to correct the left front fender and the right cowl corner. Some touch ups went wrong during the initial painting and needed to be resprayed to get the correct level of gloss.
gallery_1_12_184598.jpg

gallery_1_12_121537.jpg

Nice even shine!
gallery_1_12_46299.jpg

Goodies! Sprintex XJ Supercharger kit, Kelley Works cables, AEM F/IC, and a head unit that works.
gallery_1_12_119534.jpg

Nice!

Yay! Finally. So what is to become of the M90 you got from Stump?

Yay! Finally. So what is to become of the M90 you got from Stump?

Sitting in my office on a table. Part of my problem with using that was I could find factory manifolds from a Thunderbird to modify. I did design some with CAD that could be used, but I found that cost to get them made would be not entirely worth while.

Last edited:

Know anyone with a CNC mill? :D

This is what my "TO DO" list looks like right now. This is what I have written done, but is certainly not a complete list.
  • Install rest of exhaust(3")
  • Weld up rear bumper
  • Missing Transfer Case Nut 3/8"
  • Paint oil pan scratches.
  • 1,000 mile rear differential oil change(Uh, 1,800 miles I mean.)
  • Seam Sealer by VIN tag in engine bay
  • Drain and refill transfer case - Rattling on coasting - Break down current case and swap output shaft to newer case.
  • Finish installing Novak shifter
  • Rebuild front drive shaft
  • Differential Breathers
  • Horns
  • Rotate Fuel Pump Assembly
  • Grind Rear Flare Retainer Studs Off
  • Flares
  • Refresh Tail Lights
  • Install New Battery Wiring
  • Headliner
  • Cover Rear Backer Board
  • Test Install Burgundy Interior for dual tone look
  • Recover Seats
  • AC Charge
  • Parking Brake Adjustment

Hella Vision Plus H4 ECE conversion housings, Centric Premium Rotors, Centric Posi-Quiet Pads, and WJ Front Lower Control Arms
gallery_1_12_247544.jpg

This looks familiar. The axle is off to the side and back from finally being regeared to 4.56 along with new hubs installed.
gallery_1_12_231045.jpg

RE9905 braces for the RE9900 drop brackets. The manual specifies they do not work on the Comanche, but the general frame area is the same. Looks like an extra hole needs to be drilled for the forward crossmember bolt and possibly some of the lower control arm mount extra bracing trimmed.
gallery_1_12_402132.jpg

Rear view mirror with auto-dimming, compass, map lights, and temperature.
gallery_1_12_216586.jpg

Sound Deadener! I put this on the ceiling, INSIDE the B pillars, inside the doors, and along the back wall. Made a huge difference in overall rumble.
gallery_1_12_153027.jpg

Replacement weatherstripping for the A pillars. Not quite factory style, but they would work well.
gallery_1_12_313156.jpg

Alex, this truck is looking awesome. You have done some excellent things to it! The only thing that bums me out about this awesome build, and your fantastic work is that you will have a $20k-$30k truck that is simply too nice to take Offroad. You'll have to build an ugly one to wheel, too ;)

Alex, this truck is looking awesome. You have done some excellent things to it! The only thing that bums me out about this awesome build, and your fantastic work is that you will have a $20k-$30k truck that is simply too nice to take Offroad. You'll have to build an ugly one to wheel, too ;)

$18,942.98 as of the last purchase. If I were being paid for the labor at $40 an hour it would be around $26,262.98.

I have the Wrangler for going off road and driving to work.

Replacement weatherstripping for the A pillars. Not quite factory style, but they would work well.
gallery_1_12_313156.jpg

Where did you get this? I am in need of something for my MJ and this looks close…

Back