• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Acetone will increase gas mileage?!?!?

Re: Acetone will increase MPG?!?!

Here is the math from 3-05
-- 1 quart of acetone: $6.81 - it was a *lot* more expensive than the last time I remembered having to do this.

- 1 quart = 32 fl. oz. At 4oz./tank, that's eight applications at about 85c each.

- 1 20-gallon tank of gas costs $48.20 at today's rate of $2.41/gallon for 87-octane.

- 85c represents 1.8% of the cost of the tank of gas.

- With an assumed minimum MPG improvement of 15% per the original link, This translates out to a 3-gallon-per-tank gross savings, or $7.23 per tank.

- $7.23 less the 85c acetone cost gives a net savings per tank of $6.38, or 2.65 gallons (roughly an eightfold return on the investment).

So it's possible that this may translate out to a somewhat noticeable gain based on the 15% minimum improvement figure. Mind you, I'm not exactly holding my breath on it being the be-all, end-all miracle cure..................
but IT DOES WORK!!

Wow, I think I may be the only ho-ha out there that actually read this entire post. All you nay sayers ought to do the same before being so negative. It took me THREE different evenings (ya I am slow). I was a "to good to be true" guy till I read it all, no for my own testing.

I am going to get some. I am also going to try it on the wifes van WITHOUT letting her know. The van has a mileage console computer.

Now, all of you that saved all this money on gas, go get some more gas and go WHEEL all of it!

Jason

Red97XJ said:
Wow, I think I may be the only ho-ha out there that actually read this entire post. All you nay sayers ought to do the same before being so negative. It took me THREE different evenings (ya I am slow). I was a "to good to be true" guy till I read it all, no for my own testing.

I am going to get some. I am also going to try it on the wifes van WITHOUT letting her know. The van has a mileage console computer.

Now, all of you that saved all this money on gas, go get some more gas and go WHEEL all of it!

Jason

Thinking of doing the same to my parents Cherokee which I fitted a trip computer to years ago. They being retired have such a routine that the mileage has not changed much in years. So now is a good time too as petrol just hit $3.70 USD a gallon here this week!!

I realize this thread has been going around for awhile, but I have decided to post my results here anyway.

I just filled the tank to c.10 gallons last night, and added 2 fl. oz. of acetone. I don't think I gained any peak HP, but my partial-throttle (especially cruising speed range) response has increased considerably. I believe I am getting c. 2-3MPG better - possibly more - but will hold off speculating until this tank is done. It seems almost effortless to cruise at 45MPH, and is difficult to keep her under 40 when in 4th gear. I haven't had an opportunity to judge the highway (>65MPH sustained) performance yet.

I am making a conscious effort to maintain my regular driving habits, so that my results are not synthetic.

krakhedd said:
I realize this thread has been going around for awhile, but I have decided to post my results here anyway.

I just filled the tank to c.10 gallons last night, and added 2 fl. oz. of acetone. I don't think I gained any peak HP, but my partial-throttle (especially cruising speed range) response has increased considerably. I believe I am getting c. 2-3MPG better - possibly more - but will hold off speculating until this tank is done. It seems almost effortless to cruise at 45MPH, and is difficult to keep her under 40 when in 4th gear. I haven't had an opportunity to judge the highway (>65MPH sustained) performance yet.

I am making a conscious effort to maintain my regular driving habits, so that my results are not synthetic.

Short term it is hard to judge, I did the test in my 89 2.5 mj and a 4.0 95 xj...... both for several months, I did not tell Ali I ahd put it in her xj and made sure I was aroundt o fill it for her....in her log she averaged about 2.3 to 3 mpg better. I in the 2.5 did only ab0ut 2 mpg increase but it did help

Acetone Updates

How has the acetone expierement gone? Last week I decided to buy some acetone at walgreens, about $1.50 or so for the bottle... I put 3 ounces in a half of a tank and right away noticed an increase in my take off and the gas was a bit jumpy, so I knew it was cleaing some of the gunk out, which is always good... Also, my idle has been smoothed out... My friend with a saturn SL2 also did this and noticed the same results. Tuesday, I filled my tank, and added 6.5 ounces of acetone and so far have only used 12.5 gallons with 250.4 miles on this tank... before i was getting about 15 mpg now i am getting about 19-20. also, i am driving more cautiously, keeping it below 2000 rpm when i can, however, i am not driving like a complete grandma, with my new duel flow exhaust, it's hard to resist! I believe the acetone works... Also, my friend with the SL2 is getting about 24-25 mpg as apposed to his 20-21 mpg he used to get. Please don't post your opinons on this acetone subject, just results and findings...

Re: Acetone Updates

I know I'm breaking youre rule about opinions, but its not a scientific "finding" if you added acetone but also conscientiously adjusted your driving style and tried to keep the rpms down. The acetone may work but you also influenced the result by driving differently.

I wish someone would do the test where the drivers don't know about the added acetone, like somewhere that does deliveries AND the same drivers have the same vehicles everyday.

I tried a couple of times on my 99. No difference on city or highway driving. It seems to work for some, but not all.

well i don't know guys, gas will keep going up, and in 20 years, taking your jeeps out will be like drving your dirtbikes around on the weekends, it will be a luxury, and very expensive... my father just came back from europe, and gas is 6 dollars and mroe a gallon there....

www.myspace.com/nogaswednesday

Red97XJ said:

I just read all of this at once.

So in the end it doesn't corrode Metal or the rest of the fuel system but does this still work for the users that first saw mileage gains all these months later?

Has anyone ever heard of putting mothballs in your gas tank? The reason I ask a guy I work with says his brother does this with his ford f250, and he swears he gets better mileage. He says its the same as Shells V power gas.

I just read this whole post start to finish. It is quite possible I missed a sentence or two and my results may differ from others as to what I may or may not have actually read and comprehended.

I read posts that were extremely pro and posts that were extremely con. One thing I noticed was that some of the posts I read that came off as maybe a little extreme "pro acetone" appeared to may have come from excited early field testing results and/or folks that pretty much felt they were being called liars by posting their remarkable claims. (taking con posts much more personal than they really were intended) I am in the pro camp, hoping this has some merit. For one reason because my father is on a fixed income with no insurance and lives on $500 a month which barely (most times not, they go with out) pays for their meds for a month. He has a 92 chev heavy half 4x4 with a 4.3 and a 700r4 that don't hit overdrive half the time. One stinkin dollar over acetone cost a tank savings would help anytime, period. But even as hopeful as I am, I DID see several posts that if I had what they were working with I am sure I could crunch some numbers better and the results not look quite as impressive. Just saying I think I could tighten up some of the control studies for my own testing and the results not be as dramatic.

But, some of the con acetone posts for the most part came off as bullheaded, the world is flat and you ain't gonna tell me no different, close minded individuals. At least came off as "their ain't no mf gonna tell me that this simple common household, older than sin product is some new found super cure-all with zero side effects till I see it with my own eyes. Then I still may not believe it." Which I am not saying that is all a bad thing. I am sure it stems from years of sweat and blood and from a buttload of common sense. But I ask those this, was there ever a time in your life that you would have been the first on your block to try this with just as high of hopes as some here in this thread? Cut them a little slack if it is something you have never personally tried. I mean if there is misinformation or potential risks for anything dangerous, speak way up loud and strong. But just don't blow off everything you hear just because you haven't heard of it by now.

Every hobby/passion/short lived infatuation that I have ever had any feelings for I have read everything I could on the net, mostly on forums.(Uh, last 7 years or so anyway) I still have faith in the common man for the most part and give their opinions much more weight than any company that is trying to sell me something. That doesn't mean if Joe blow tells me to put a cup of sand in my oil pan because it polishes the internals that I am going to rush out get some sand.

I plan on trying this. I want this to work. Who doesn't? But my thought is if nothing else, this sounds like a darn good injector/engine cleaner on the cheap.

Proofreading this post I really don't have a clue why I typed so much or have such strong feelings on this issue as I do. Hope everyone knows these are only my opinions after reading straight through one time. I am 100% sure I can read it again and I have read some posts incorrectly.

Another thing I want to say is that too much of about anything can be a bad thing. I see everyone seems to stick to the 2-3 oz per 10 gallon thing. But I haven't really seen anyone cut that down to .5-1 oz per 10 and get some results to throw in the mix. Some of you that were open minded but didn't see the results might try it one last time with much less. That large amount that seems to do great in big air breathing pigs may be waaaaay more than these little tight tolerance engines want or need.

I know this is an old post, but I tried it and gained 3-3.2 mpg regularly. (3 tanks). Running 19 mpg on the highway when you're used to running 16 is amazing.

Look for an article in Popular Mechanics in the upcoming month.

Back