• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Acetone will increase gas mileage?!?!?

Re: Acetone will increase MPG?!?!

BTT- how's everyone else's stuff coming?

My junk shoul dbe back to testing Tuesday-ish. I'm working days next week, and my shocks are SUPPOSED to be here Monday-- which means I'll get 'em about 1800. Everything else is done or going to be done by then, so if the lenghts are close enough to drive around on, I'll be able to start driving my Jeep Tuesday.

of course-- it'll be about 4" taller than it used to be, but :shrug: I'll just do a "Reverse test" to sort things out.

I just started this test in my 2.5 TB injected, with 4 speed. My average driving is always half highway half intown I but in a little over 3 oz's in a 16 gallon tank

First impressions is the idle has gone down about 200 rpm and is noticably smoother idle.

Average mpg has been in the 26 to 27 mpg

we will see

So far i haven't noticed a difference. 4.5" with 32x11.50's sure not gonna help much. But so far a little over 200 miles, 17 gallon fill up @ 12.85 mpg. Is that about right, or do i have some other mechanical issues i need to look at?????

Acetone has been around as long as gasoline. If this is such a miracle cure, I find myself wondering why no one ever thought of it 40 years ago.

Just got done running a good tank through...Acording to the trip computer on my ZJ....This last tank I got 17.5 mpg. This is combined city and freeway driving.

Usually I get around 14.5 to 15.1 running the same way.

yuppiexj said:
93 tank (k2500 suburban)
8oz in a 42 gallon tank

485.6 miles on 36.348 gallons yields 13.36 mpg.
Previous high was 12.6 ~ 6% improvement.

Increase is probably more since we have have started using the A/C now.
none of the previous tanks had any A/C miles.
That wouldn't make sence....You usualy LOSE MPG when you run the AC. Not gain it.

dmillion said:
Acetone has been around as long as gasoline. If this is such a miracle cure, I find myself wondering why no one ever thought of it 40 years ago.
duh! There was no Internet 40 years ago :bawl:

There is some sort of interaction with the Internet that causes a bonding of positively charged protein particles to the carbon atoms in the gasoline when exposed to acetone. This allows the energy to release over a controlled micro-period in the combustion chamber, similar to a gel-cap. :lecture:

I'll bet all the experimenters on this thread have access to the Internet(and a properly calibrated butt dyno)!

coincidence or scientific marvel of the new age: you decide...

DrMoab said:
That wouldn't make sence....You usualy LOSE MPG when you run the AC. Not gain it.
what he's saying is that the mileage probably inproved more than is shown in his results because now he is using the AC. he took two steps forward (acetone) and one step back (AC).

Well, I just finished my testing over several tanks of gas. I made every effort to keep the driving exactly the same over the tanks. In fact, I logged the type of miles I was driving and where and when amd took my other car when it did not fit the pattern. I drove 3/5 highway and 2/5 city. I took the exact same route at the same time for the city driving. While not at the same time, the highway driving was over the same route. At any rate, I averaged 21.3 mpg. The improvement is not statistically signifiant. Furthermore, I can not discount that the very minor improvement was due to a change to summer gas over the period.
I did not notice nay improvement in idel or pick-up. However, I am leary of these claims as they are very subjective. Granted, my approach is not paradigm of empirical purity.
I wonder about one variable. Namely, injectors. I run the new Ford 19lb. injectors which have a better spray pattern. Are those that are seeing big improvemnts running older injectors? I do not know. I am going to keep testing. I have to do some extensive driving to the east coast from here in Oklahoma. I will see if there is a difference in driving highway miles exclusively.

I'm still getting between 2.3 and 4.1 better MPG in 3 different cars they than not using the Acetone. I started this thread so I say invest the 5.00 for a qt. of Acetone. It works for 99% of the people using it, If you are in the 1% that is does not work your out 5.00, no big deal............... unless you are on welfare
biggrin.gif

Well i am a bit late here expecially to read all 20 pages of this thread....but does the acetone actually help your mileage ? Is it like dumping a bottle of fuel injector clnr ?

On my cherokee how much would i add ?

pete

I normally get 300 miles all highway on a topped off tank, cruise control set at 70mph. After putting 4oz of acetone in there I got about 336 miles all highway, at the same speed. So I think it did something.

More recently, I am at 278 miles city and got about 2 lines to go til my fuel light comes on, and normally it comes on at about 250. So yea, i'm gonna keep dumpin the stuff in there.

BSD said:
I wonder about one variable. Namely, injectors.

I'm betting that the people who see an improvement had dirty injectors to begin with. The acetone cleans them and makes the Jeep run better as a result of that.

BrettM said:
DrMoab said:
what he's saying is that the mileage probably inproved more than is shown in his results because now he is using the AC. he took two steps forward (acetone) and one step back (AC).

Brett is exactly right. Acetone mileage with is higher than straight fuel w/o acetone was...waiting for another 100 miles or so until the next refill to post updated numbers.

Hey YuppieXJ - while you are waiting for those improvements - can you post a reply to my PM's about the parts you owe me? Thanks!

Update on full tank with 1oz/10gallons, yielded 304 miles from a normal
figure of 260, or an increase of about 3.5mpg. It should be better but on this tank I spent about 20 miles on some mild trail driving and lots of stop n go country sightseeing. Return on $.26 worth of acectone was about $4.50 in gasoline. Next experiment is with 2oz/10gal concentration. I think there is a definite benefit both in mpg and performance.

dmillion said:

DUH :exclamati Maybe because OIL COMPANIES + GOVERNMENT = $$$$$$$

The money isn't in the cure, it's in the treatment.

N8 DAWG said:
DUH :exclamati Maybe because OIL COMPANIES + GOVERNMENT = $$$$$$$

DUH! Is it the government or the oil companies that are preventing you from trying this today? What? Neither! Oh, well, then neither prevented people from trying it 80 years ago, did they?

Sheesh! What a maroon! (to quote Bugs Bunny)

The more I read about this the more I am convinced that the improvements people are seeing come from one of three things:
1) dirty injectors being cleaned by the acetone
2) miscalculations of gas mileage
3) wishful thinking

dmillion said:
DUH! Is it the government or the oil companies that are preventing you from trying this today? What? Neither! Oh, well, then neither prevented people from trying it 80 years ago, did they?

Sheesh! What a maroon! (to quote Bugs Bunny)

The more I read about this the more I am convinced that the improvements people are seeing come from one of three things:
1) dirty injectors being cleaned by the acetone
2) miscalculations of gas mileage
3) wishful thinking

1) a big possibility that it could just be clean injectors. I think a couple of guys stopped using acetone and saw there mileage go back up which would probably rule out the injector theory.
2) We've seen a couple of instances where mileage wasn't calculated quite right
3) Behavior modification in driving is a big possibility.

Personally, acetone hasn't helped my mileage a bit in my 00 XJ. I did the 2 oz per 10 gal thing and didn't see any significant improvement. I even noticed a rough idle that comes and goes and seems to get better when I stop using it.

Back