• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Acetone will increase gas mileage?!?!?

I posted somewhere in here.......

Acetone doesn't work as well as everyone says. Granted, my mileage (working on 10MPG this tank - no lies, no miscalculations) is shitty at best, but I still put some acetone into my tanks. It does seem to allow me to hit 14-15 MPG when used in small amounts, somewhere between 1 and 3 fl oz/10 gal, but too much more and it starts to nosedive. It certainly helps with partial throttle response, as well.

This being said, I think my motor runs EXTREMELY rich, thus the bad mileage, so breaking the surface tension of the gasoline down would, logically, have a more profound impact/benefit for me.

I do have a 1-gallon jug in my back seat, and a 2 fl oz measuring cup in my armrest. I put acetone in any time I am not in a rush to get going.

well, i finally tested the "Acetone myth" i have heard on 3 web sites,
i tried it in three vehicles:
1. 72 Toyota Celica with a heavily modded 1.8/2L hybrid with dual sidedraft webbers-made no difference.
2. 98 XJ, with 62mm TB and K&N-noticed a littlebit of throttle differnce, thats about it, im running 3.55s with 31s and AW4
3. My 2k Silverado 4.8, really noticed difference in milage, and throttle response, i can get about 50k's more out of a tank, in the city i can do 800km and on highway about a 1000+ depending on luck of wind:p As soon as i poured the acetone into the tank, it made difference, noticeable! The only difference is that, my oxygen sensor light comes up. It says "oxygen sensor heater failed"... once i clear it, and run "clean" gas... it goes away.

Did my own testing with adding acetone to my 98 XJ 4.0L for almost 1 month....

Added 2 oz of Acetone to 10 gallons of gasoline. Gas mileage changes were minimal... (+ 1 MPG).
Increased the amount of Acetone added up to 3oz per 10 gallons; which showed NO noticable increase in MPG.
The ONLY noticable difference was when I went in for a SMOG test and the emissions were VERY low.... due to running Acetone for one tank full prior...

Did this same test on a '00 Ford Ranger 4.0L and came up with the same results...
Very little difference (+ 1 MPG) in gas mileage....

Charles

Hey old_man...hehe so funny when you get to say that and not be offensive cuz it's the name. But I was wondering what that "BG44K" stuff is? Who makes it or what does the BG stand for and where might I find some at? Hell at around $20 bones depending on how much you need to use it, sounds like it will pay for itself shortly. Thanks. Oh and the guys on this stream about the raceboat fuel...if ya could pinch or pitch haha me a few gallons of some cam2, would be much appreciated...haha:confused1

well i figured it would be a good time to resurrect this from the dead and get some updates.

i've been wanting to try this, but have been a little nervous about the side effect to any components in particular the rubber O-rings. i've been talking with one of my neighbors about this quite a bit, and he seems to be with the "it's impossible and will damage your fuel system" crowd.

i was wondering if any of you guys that have been running this for extended periods (6months or longer) have noticed any problems that maybe have been caused by adding the acetone???

over a year, no damage, it idles better and mileage is slightly better, nothing miraculous, 5-10%, which is nothing to sneeze at...

as far as damage, sure if you poured a quart into one tank, sure... 1 teaspoon premixed give or take (ymmv), no way...

Re: Acetone will increase MPG?!?!

old_man said:
The rates we used were 1 oz of Toluene and 1 oz of Acetone per 10 gallons. We just premixed it and used a clear squeeze bottle that was not going to melt from the acetone. We also used Stoddard Solvent, which helped keep the volitility of the mix in the bottle down just a touch as well.

I don't screw with it any more. The cleaning effect is the biggest gas mileage gain of the bunch. I just run a can of BG44K every 10k miles. It keeps injectors working great. Don't bother with the STP crap or most of the others. MTBE is the oxygenating crap they add to the fuels now days. It is what leaves the varnish buildup in injectors and the intake manifold. STP is mostly MTBE, the theory being that if you add enough it will desolve the layers already there. Like that really works:laugh3: BG44K is the closest thing to a miracle in the bottle that I have ever seen. I did a bore scope analysis on my old motor, then ran a can of BG44K and all the carbon on top of the piston and the buildup on the back of the exhaust valves was gone. Fuel injector efficiency is probably one of the biggest factors in gas mileage drop off. They get a coat of the varnish inside and the injectors just don't spray a fine mist like they are supposed to. While the orifices in the injectors can be eroded over time, virtually every problem is due to clogging, which the BG44K will get rid of.

BG44k runs about $18 a can. Not cheap, but well worth it.
Were can you find BG44K??

NAPA around here carries it.

casm said:
OK, tell ya what... I have to go to Home Despot this afternoon anyway, so I'll volunteer to be the guinea pig on this one and blow $3 on a gallon of 100% Acetone. Would 2oz. be a reasonable amount to add to a 20-gallon tank?

2000 Limited, AW4, 4WD, red, blown speaker, etc. etc. etc.
I dought that you can buy acetone for 3.00 a gal.? I use it,primarily for cleaning my Injectors,but it helps every thing else as well. I use 4ozs of acetone to a fill-up{20g} about every third tank. compare this to using say LUCAS Injector cleaner for 9-$10.00 a bottle,you do the math!!!! It works!

papacan said:
I dought that you can buy acetone for 3.00 a gal.? I use it,primarily for cleaning my Injectors,but it helps every thing else as well. I use 4ozs of acetone to a fill-up{20g} about every third tank.

You may want to check the age of posts before replying; I originally wrote that close to two years ago. And yes, at the time my local Home Depot had gallon cans of no-brand acetone for something like $3.27 apiece.

compare this to using say LUCAS Injector cleaner for 9-$10.00 a bottle,you do the math!!!! It works!

You are aware that there is an entire 24-page thread beyond the one post from 2005 that you replied to, yes?

old_man said:
Having spent some time in the commercial fuel additives business, maybe I can shed some light on this. The only difference between regular and premium fuels are the additives. They come out of the same spigot at the refinery. Octane is not a measure of the amount of energy in the fuel, but a measure of knock resistance. Surprisingly enough one of the ways octane is measured is actually running it in a reference engine under precise loads.

Having said all of that, there are two main additives that are used, acetone and toluene. Other items like stoddard solvent are also used. Stoddard solvent is mainly used as a fuel system cleaner, but the acetone and toluene also play a part in the process, but are mainly used to reduce the knock potential of the fuel. I used to run an ounce of each per each 10 gallons of fuel. Yes it helped the fuel mileage, but mainly from the perspective of keeping things clean.

what about using denatured alcohol to help pass smog?

crunked said:
hey casm, your last post on progress was over a year ago...i think...so many p a g e s...., you still doing this?

On and off, but mainly just to clean out the fuel system a little. I was seeing an improvement in mileage while stock, but now that I'm on 31" tyres with 3.55 gearing there's not a lot that'll help that :)

I did fuel tests and found no difference at all. This was on a trip where we are talking 800 kms a day in very flat open country with few towns at all. Each time I used the acetone the conditions were better regarding wind direction and traffic and it still came out the same as without. I actually expected better had I not run it? I already have clean injectors from using 95 ron fuel at all times so dont get a cleaning benefit from it which is the only thing people with improvements are seeing I think. Mythbusters could not find a improvement either. ;)

I use acetone every now and then and I see improvements. Actually I was getting 9.6 MPG and Now I'm Getting 13.84 MPG. So, For me it's working. I don't use acetone every tank refill. But every now and then.

CToyeIV said:
NEWS FLASH: Pure acetone is sold as nail polish remover

Be careful with that - it's usually not pure acetone. Check the label, but typically it's diluted and contains at least perfumes if not other ingredients.

Having said that, the containers are great for holding a pre-measured amount of the pure stuff.

Back