• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Humboldt-Cherokee Blog.

Nope, still bad.

I lowed the pinion a bit yesterday.

So the angle is great, and theres no slop in the driveline.

Got the injectors today. They look great. The packaging is really impressive. I love the green. haha.
2b298ffa.jpg

And check out the nozzle- 4 hole
9c8faa50.jpg

I also bought a new set of spark plugs, Champion 7034. They have double platinum gap surfaces, it works better for the 2001 non distributor system.

I'll install them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just finished them.

I also reset the ecu. So far, it idles better, but time will tell as far as mpg.

No joke, I feel pretty dumb right now.

I've been fighting that driveline vibe for ever...

Pulled the front shaft today..... Its smooth as stock. HAHA

And it's not that I havent though about this. I drove it in front wheel drive (no rear shaft) and there wasn't any vibes. There fore, I figured the rear was the problem, but in this case I guess not.I think this is because the front driveshaft was under load, thus not pulsating like it does while spinning statically.

Looks like the front ds yoke at the transfer case is binding, so Im going to rebuild it, and get it balanced at the shop near me.

Im pretty freaking happy, cause I was about to shell out 500 bucks on a new aa sye and a TW shaft. I'll just run this till it breaks.

The freeway mileage sucks. I can't get over 16 right now.

With the lift and bigger tires, that's about as good as it gets unless you drive 55 mph. The higher the speed, the more wind resistance, the crappier the mileage.

Our rigs are similiar except for the fact that mine's a 5 speed vs your auto, and a year or two older. I get about 15 - 16 mpg around town all day long. Maybe 18 on the highway at lower speeds around 55 - 60 mph if I'm in no big hurry, or weather is real sucky.

Funny, traveling south from Eureka to the Bay area I get about 15 - 16 mpg. Coming back I get about 18 mpg. Probably because heading north is mostly downhill......hmmm. Ever notice that the Eel River runs from South to North?

Ivan

So yesterday, in the quest for the best mileage I can get in a lifted xj, I replaced both upstream oxygen sensors. I filled up for the first time last tuesday, and I got about 120 miles to half a tank, with 65% city driving. Not so good.

It was a little bit of a PITA, but not as bad as I expected. I had to scrape off all the mud on my headers, but after that with the proper wrench, they came right out. I have the 2 upstream sensors, 2 precats and 2 downstream sensors. (2001)

Old and new.
66f693f8.jpg

d6b37ef6.jpg

I went up to the snow!
Cell towers.
b2914fc6.jpg

c31f627b.jpg

1275fd91.jpg

I also made a couple full throttle runs in deep snow, my tires are god awful in deep snow.

Thanks Dave.

Its off of hwy 299. You take a right onto Titlow hill rd, and it winds up into the snow!

I was less than impressed with the A/t's in the snow.

Help me make a decision.

Keep the moabs, and go to a 255/85/r16 Maxxis Bighorn

Or go to a smaller rim and run some 33x10.50r15 KM2's.

if you need a better tire than a BFG AT in the snow.. you dont have many options. although options include tires with cool names like hakkapeliitta and blizzak.

if you need a better tire than a BFG AT in the snow.. you dont have many options. although options include tires with cool names like hakkapeliitta and blizzak.

Your answer is targeted at shallow semi-plowed snow and ice... I believe he is looking at an off road deep snow option that is more self cleaning. The tires you recommend would clog in a heartbeat, their only advantage is siping, which is helpful for ON-ROAD ice and rain. Also, since he also runs rocks these tires would be pretty much useless to him.

Back