• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C... who needs it, right?!

lbexj said:
:looser:

I do not have air conditioning in the house either. I believe people are much healthier if they let their bodies acclimate to temperature extremes ... winter or summer. Just my opinion ...

Les

my grandad wouldn't have a/c in the house either... he was cheap cheap cheap!!!

so do you have a heater in your house?

the bottom line is if we never had a/c we would probably never miss it.

Like Shannon, I live in the Mojave Desert. My XJ came from New Jersey and the guy who was building it up didn't need the A/C and was in the process of converting it to on-board air. This is my 3rd XJ and the only one without A/C. I am on the hunt for the missing parts.

Just never buy a car with AC and you'll be fine all the vehicals I have owned never had working AC so I'll never notice the difference! Ignorance is bliss

red87Cherokee said:
So . . . I guess you never use it, because you don't have it. Huh?

Hey ... Peace Bro! ... Sorry about my smarta$$ reply. Yeah, I have air in the XJ but it quit working. I just did not fix it. It's real low on my priority list.

xjhm said:
my grandad wouldn't have a/c in the house either... he was cheap cheap cheap!!!

so do you have a heater in your house?

Sure do ... I installed a wood furnace in my garage which heats the house as well as the garage. It has a thermostat that controls a draft blower which maintains a constant temperature in the house. It incorporates a plenum (sp) which feed air duct to each room with a central cold air return. Works very well. I also have a nice, dry, heated garage which to work on my vehicles. Electric heat is the primary heating system, but it's too expensive to use and not as comfortable. Black Locust is my fuel of choice that I cut from the family woodlot.

My father grew up during the depression and was very conservative. He knew how to live well on less. I'm a lot like him. I suspect your Grandad is from the same generation.

Les

Jeepfreak ... and everyone else.

Sorry about the off topic ... my Bad!

Les

I plan on scrapping the a/c compressor/system altogether(in the trail rig) when I get around to it. I want to relocate the alt. in it's place so mud won't be a factor in killinganother alt. On my DD though, GA summers are wack. can be a comfy 80 something one day, then over 100 the next, plus the humidity makes it worse. I think it's more on location. I have an uncle in Indiana, and some family friends in Wisconsin. Summers there are awsome!

Frankly, I get so hot it makes me throw up and get pounding headaches with no A/C. It basically saves my life on a 90+ degree day. I don't even live anywhere that's humid. Sitting in a puddle of butt crack sweat just doesn't appeal to me. I will NEVER OWN a vehicle without A/C again. If the A/C goes, the vehicle goes with it. When I had an S-10 pickup with no A/C, I kept a spray bottle of water inside to constantly spray on my face and arms to keep cool. That got old REAL fast!

Jared:patriot:

i tore out my perfectly good AC system and did OBA. it gets hot here in VA, so im not going to say im glad i dont have ac, but i never did use it. i have not noticed any adverse affects (defrost, etc..) to not having the ac system in working order. im also carpetless, and id say i would rather have carpet and no ac than ac and no carpet. the bare metal floor makes the cabin hotter than hatties.

Hunter

Billy are you nuts!?! Today is the first day of spring and it has already been 90 degrees all week!!! It's been the hottest March in HISTORY here. But hey, It'ld give you an excuse to put one of these in your rig!

is.php

Sorry Okie, couldn't resist. Thats WACK! ;)

basalt51 said:
Billy are you nuts!?! Today is the first day of spring and it has already been 90 degrees all week!!! It's been the hottest March in HISTORY here. But hey, It'ld give you an excuse to put one of these in your rig!

is.php

Sorry Okie, couldn't resist. Thats WACK! ;)
HEY!!!!!! It keeps the kids cool and quiet.:)
If I aim the middle vent at it, the A/C gets spread around the back seat area.

I've got something you can wack pal.:D

MojaveDXJ said:
Like Shannon, I live in the Mojave Desert. My XJ came from New Jersey and the guy who was building it up didn't need the A/C and was in the process of converting it to on-board air. This is my 3rd XJ and the only one without A/C. I am on the hunt for the missing parts.
Do you have the idle pulley where the A/C goes? If so I just tore out my A/C and am looking for that Pulley.

So, with all the removed aircon systems out there, I don't suppose there wouldn't be one or two compressors that anyone would be willing to part with for a considerably less exhorbitant sum that going to the parts house? I need at least one, and I don't have a lot to spend doing it... Local to SF Bay Area preferred - that way, I can drive out and get the thing instead of shipping it, and it will give me a good excuse to get out a little more often...

5-90

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
i tore out my perfectly good AC system and did OBA. it gets hot here in VA, so im not going to say im glad i dont have ac, but i never did use it. i have not noticed any adverse affects (defrost, etc..) to not having the ac system in working order. im also carpetless, and id say i would rather have carpet and no ac than ac and no carpet. the bare metal floor makes the cabin hotter than hatties.

Hunter

Herculine the interior now that the carpet is out. It is black, but will keep the nice level down a bit but also is a good upgrade for a trail jeep or one that you want to have little maintenance with. I just hose mine out and have left out the drain plugs.

Got my OBA installed today:

Chased down a couple leaks then went at it with the die-grinder boring a hole in the inner fender to mount the switch.

I noticed the air coming out of the pump is HOT enough to destroy the little piece of airline I had (tying the fitting to the filter) I used $.39/foot Lowe's 3/8" airline, I have some other hose (better quality I hope) and I'll swap it out after dinner or another day.

The 10 gallon tank still needs anchored down before I hit any trails.

Estimate I have approx $120 into the project.

Grrrrr.

I replaced the afflicted hose with a piece cut from a brand new 50' hose. It lasted about the same period...maybe 10 minutes and it blew out as well... (at least it lasted long enough to get the switch hole wallowed out :) )

Will search out some REALLY heavy duty hose this week.

Back