• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C... who needs it, right?!

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I hate these threads that ask someone to make a decision for ya, but I just need a few opinions...
I'm thinking about taking my A/C out...
-So, I have a good spot for my tranny cooler w/o totally blocking off the radiator
-because I don't run it unless I really have to
-I want on board air
-A cage is going to block off some of my vents anyway

Now, I'm just wondering if anybody has removed their perfectly good A/C and regretted it?
Thanks,
Billy

I would never get rid of my AC.
You know you can have AC and onboard air, right? And how is a cage going to block off vents?

Jes

ChuckD said:
One comment, you live in CA! I know you live up north and may get those delta winds, but I know if you lived down here in Fresno, the last thing you would want to do is ditch the AC.

I'd keep it in. The vent windows help a lot at speed, but Sac gets pretty hot in the summer, heck it's in the low 80's now in March. The a/c is close to a grand or less to install. I had have had 3 wranglers and always wanted a/c, but then again I could take the top and doors out to get some air. I'm always warm anyways, but Sac does get very hot in the summer. You could always convert your a/c compressor to fill tires for not that much. I think you will regret getting rid of the a/c, your gf will let you know about it. :D

no way would I ditch the AC. One of the concession of taking shiat for driving a grocery getter is rolling up the windows and turning the AC on whilst our shortwheel base brethern are choking on dust. Get a turbo city air intake and move the battery to the drivers side and fab a bracket for a york from a donor Volvo 242DL.

SeanP

Hey - if you pull the compressor and it's a Sanden SD505 in workin' order, can I come up and get it? I need a new compressor for my 88... The one in my 87 is shot, and my wife told me she'd shoot me with my own gun if I, er, "borrowed" hers...

Besides, I got the 88 is Sac'to anyhow, so going up there for a cheap comp makes sense, right? It will be less than buying one new...

5-90

I only use Air when I'm in my car and dressed up. I never have used it in my Jeep.

Les

lbexj said:
I only use Air when I'm in my car and dressed up. I never have used it in my Jeep.

Les
I hate to quibble, but you use the a/c everytime you turn the defroster on. You may not notice it, but the a/c comes on automatically to dehumidify the air blown onto your windshield. Vehicles without a/c blow warm moist air on the windshield, vehicles with a/c dehumidify the air and blow warm dry air on the windshield.

The only reason I bring this up is that this is another reason for keeping the a/c, especially for anyone who lives in a relatively humid climate. I notice that the dewpoint today for Sacramento is 53 degrees - which means that when it cools off tonight it will be very humid (especially if it drops to or below 53 degrees).

I live in the Mojave Desert and it gets up to 115 degrees on the hot days and I run no A/C and Don't miss it... I take my doors off on the trails so I can't use it and the farthest I drive is too work and that is only 10 miles so the A/C would barely start to work. I am going to try and convert it to a compressor... but be a man, and kick the A/C to the curb!

Shannon

Don't know what you do for a living but if it involves wearing anything other than jeans and t shirts I'd keep it. Nothing like going into a customers site looking like a slob with sweat pouring off you when it's a 100F out. Believe it or not but running the A/C with the windows rolled up will keep your gas milage the same as the winter time, roll those windows down for 60mph airconditioning and your gas mileage will suffer due to wind. Found that out the first summer I owned my 98 over a two week period, 180mi round trip daily commute from Pa to NJ and back. I measured a solid 3mpg drop which confused me, I figured my milage would go up, it didn't... Keep it....

red87cherokee said:
I hate to quibble, but you use the a/c everytime you turn the defroster on. You may not notice it, but the a/c comes on automatically to dehumidify the air blown onto your windshield. Vehicles without a/c blow warm moist air on the windshield, vehicles with a/c dehumidify the air and blow warm dry air on the windshield.

The only reason I bring this up is that this is another reason for keeping the a/c, especially for anyone who lives in a relatively humid climate. I notice that the dewpoint today for Sacramento is 53 degrees - which means that when it cools off tonight it will be very humid (especially if it drops to or below 53 degrees).

Humm ... that is old tech ... thanks anyway ... but my air conditioner does not work in the Jeep :looser: ... so I guess that means I do not use it even with the defroster. In addition, I hate that aspect of the air conditioner in the car. It actually causes fogging because of the temperature difference between the outside air temp and temp of the defroster. I have to turn the temperature up to stop it from doing that.

I do not have air conditioning in the house either. I believe people are much healthier if they let their bodies acclimate to temperature extremes ... winter or summer. Just my opinion ...

Les

red87cherokee said:

The clutch on my comp is ceased so I don't think it comes on when I have my defroster on.

You may be a redneck if..................
:D
lbexj said:
I do not have air conditioning in the house either. I believe people are much healthier if they let their bodies acclimate to temperature extremes ... winter or summer. Just my opinion ...

Les

I had an XJ without AC, now I have an MJ without AC. I don't mind at all, and I live in NorCal also. Just take the doors off and you get so much wind it's fine. sure it's not super comfy, but i just really don't care. I did bolt up a Sanden compressor though for OBA and I love it.

I am thinking about installing a mister system for the trail :yelclap: there is a guy on PBB that has one in his Toyota and it's pretty cool (haha, pun) and easy.

Some-beitch ... didn't realize I'd get a ration over not having air in the house.
I guess I am a red neck ...

Actually, I have a very wide comfort range. I'm not very patient with people who whine cause they are cold and wish for summer, then whine all summer cause they are hot.

Yeah Rev ... believe it or not, I live in that trailer I had at Attica :looney:

Les

Back