• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ DD & Weekend Warrior

You wouldn't be talking about me would ya? :p if you wanna use it go for it man. Being in this internship has me strapped for cash. Plus if I get some pictures of your setup I could make one or something similar myself ;)

He might actually be talking about me lol I bought the track bar but have been trying to get the rest to get the frame stiffener that goes with it. Sorry man!!! I've been trying to get the cash but rent and all that has to come first.

Re: 99 XJ DD & Weekend Warrior

John maybe if we get together sometime or even emailing with pics we could design something and I could fab something and try it out? I'm not that knowledgable about that area though so I'd need help and insight on designing it

hmm, I have most of the stuff needed (I think) but YOU have plasma yes?
I wonder what it would take to get you to load it and some scrap up. and head my way? I got a shop full of stuff to play with, josh may even want in on this party!

ehh? EHHH?

Bronze.

I wonder what it would take to get you to load it and some scrap up. and head my way? I got a shop full of stuff to play with, josh may even want in on this party!

ehh? EHHH?

Bronze.

Welllllll my plasma is wired for 220v with the nema L6-30 turn lock style plug I believe. Do you have that style plugin in your shop?

daqy9u3u.jpg

He might actually be talking about me lol I bought the track bar but have been trying to get the rest to get the frame stiffener that goes with it. Sorry man!!! I've been trying to get the cash but rent and all that has to come first.
*DING*DING*DING*DING.... We have a winner!!!
Yea, just givin' you a hard time Larry....

ehh? EHHH?

Bronze.
I may be in on something like this....
Sounds like it could be both fun AND productive....

You need me to grab a chunk of plate and bring the welder over? And also tou still have the wheel spacers laying around?

You need me to grab a chunk of plate and bring the welder over? And also tou still have the wheel spacers laying around?

Dude that would be awesome!
I know the extra welder AND the expertise would be really helpful and appreciated.
I have (the other) Brandon trying to source me some 3/16" plate before Friday, so unless you have some stuff you want to get rid of, I'd say leave the metal behind. Up to you. There may be some people that will find a use for it, I dunno.... Generous offer none-the-less.
There's an "official-build-party-thread" started for this coming friday.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1103542

There is just a small list of things I'm going to try and get done. (in order of importance)
-New control arm mounts welded on. (necessity)
-Try to get started (at least) on a winch bumper.
-Track down exhaust leak (time permitting)
-RMS (time permitting)

So here's my "TO-DO" list to get the Jeep ready for the Rubicon.....
  • Winch Bumper
  • RMS
  • Rebuild Flex Joint on LCA's
  • Weld on new LCA Mounts
  • Track down and repair exhaust leak
  • New upper & lower radiator hoses
  • Rock Lights
  • Serp belt
  • Tranny Flush

....damn thats a mountain of a list.... I really shouldn't have procrastinated this long on doing some of this stuff earlier.
2 weeks till departure..... wish me luck.

IF (and this is a big, HUGE IF) I can get this whole list done by the departure date, I will be driving down.
As much as I wanted to tow it, it's just not in the cards.
If not, then I'm still going, but it will be as a passenger. :(

Winch Bumper - Aug_2013

So in getting things ready for my trip to the Rubicon, a winch bumper was high on the list. Not having the best of Fab Skills, nor a welder with gas or the patience to cut everything with a jig saw..... I enlisted the help of those who were at Bmikes build party last week. Big thanks to Brandon, who has done most of the cutting and welding on this. Adam (specfab) lent a huge help as well, and shared a TON of knowledge with the group. I can not thank either of them enough for the help they've provided in this project.
Here's how it started:
A large piece of 3/16" steel, and a plate of 1/4" (not shown)....
The bracket concept was created crudely using the typical CAD (cardboard aided design) method, taking advantage of as many bolt hole locations as possible:

What was left of the stock bumper was removed, and installation and the rest of the design process began.

The plan was/is to keep the winch pulled back as far as possible, without clocking it, and putting it inside of the core support. As much as I have talked about doing this in the past, I decided that for now at least, I'm going a more traditional route, but keeping with a slimline, higher approach angle design, all while not sacrificing strength. This of course means there was going to be some modifications made to the header panel and grill.
I'm using 1/4" for the winch plate itself. it was cut to size, and mocked into position.

Adam set to work, expertly welding the winch plate to the brackets.
First one side:

Then the other.

As you can tell from the pics, it was night (and late) by the time this phase of things finished up. Brandon's place was straightened up, and we called it a night. Sunday rolled around and Brandon graciously offered to help out with bumper some more. At this point all that it was, was a piece of 1/4" welded to two runners of 3/16"....not good enough for recovery.
The winch was mocked into position a couple more times, to gauge how the layout of the front piece was going to be.

This pic is a tad dark, but you get the idea of how tucked back the winch sits.

The face was drawn out on some of the remaining 3/16"

It was then cut out, again using Brandon's plasma cutter.

After some time with the grinder and flap wheel, it's edges were cleaned up and Brandon got to work burning it in.

By the end of the night we had gotten it all welded together, except the sides, and the lower support, that should happen later today (monday) or tomorrow. We did add some internal gussets for strength. And for now, thats how it sits.

The lower support will add torsional resistance to the winch plate, tying it in to the core support, and finish the main part of it, making it ready for recovery if needed. After that, all that would be left is the cosmetic side of things, adding some sides to it, to wrap it around to the front corners of the fenders.
More pics will follow after installation and that phase of the fab work is done.

Winch Bumper Aug_2013

Last night didnt get a whole lot done, a local grass fire screwed traffic all to hell, and it took me almost three hours to get home.
By the time I got over to Brandon's he had already gotten some work done.
He must have spent a good amount of time grinding, as the bumper's edges were all ground smooth and rounded.
I HAD planned on doing all the grindign myself, but he stepped up and stepped in, and really went above and beyond, (thanks again bro!)
It looked pretty good too! (sorry cell phone pics dont do it any justice)

We decided to add some clevis mounts to it as well. 1.5 x .75 bar stock.
In this pic you can see em after they were burned in, and as the bumper was mocked into position for the fitting of the core support plate.

The core support plate is a piece of 3/16" x 3 x 3 angle stock.
It is/will be welded all the way around, and share mounting points with the two back holes of the winch on the plate,
as well as several mounting points on the core support.
It will also get cut down a little on the bottom corners to more closely match the bottom edge contours of the core support.

The purpose of this is to reduce torsional force applied to the winch plate during heavy pulls by strengthening the back end of it,
and anchoring it to the core support, which in turn gains rigidity and strength from the plate itself.
This will prevent/reduce the winch wanting to rotate out of the winch plate, or the winch plate and winch wanting to rotate out of the brackets during a heavy pull.
Finishing touches, more grinding, and of course some primer and paint will all happen tonight, and this will be ready for recovery.
A brush guard and side protection will come after I get back from the Rubicon.

Winch Bumper - Aug_2013

Got back over to Brandon's last night, and discovered he once again went well out of his way to help me out, and had done some more work on the bumper.... welding on the lower core support brace, and trimming it down to match the contours. He had also drilled the holes to tie it in thru the winch mount and the core support.

At this point is was ready for paint, so I got right to work.
I sanded down a couple rough spots, and wiped the whole thing down with the same wax/grease/oil remover I had used on the bars for my steering.
Then brought it out of the garage, and started laying down the self etching primer.
After the Primer had set, I started in with the spray-on bed liner, the same stuff I used on my fenders after I trimmed those.
It laid down pretty good, but by the time I got done it was dark, so my results are going to have to wait to be judged until daylight.
For now, here's a couple preliminary pics:

Back