• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Build

I am going to start gathering parts to do the SYE, does the front drive shaft need to be another NP 231or does it just need to be automatic?

I am going to start gathering parts to do the SYE, does the front drive shaft need to be another NP 231 or does it just need to be automatic?

Factory rear axle? I had to get a shaft from a ZJ with my 8.8. Otherwise yes a stock XJ shaft should be golden.

Yea stock rear for now. I have an 8.8 I acquired from a buddy but that'll be something down the road. Local junk yard said they have one for $50, haven't found any others to compare prices.

I got my driveshaft from ebay for $35. I've been looking for another one recently to use as a spare and everythings ive seen is $50-60 or even more.

take a second to book mark this...

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J321-CV.PDF

it is a spicer PDF of various double cardan drive shafts... what joints the used, extended and collapsed lengths, and what year/make/model/engine/trans/Tcase to find them in. having a hack and tap SYE, an odd trans (manual), and doing axle swaps, it has been invaluable for finding a JY shaft that will work for my application. when you find something with the length youd like, you can then go to car-parts.com to do a quick look for any in your area.

SYE is being ordered as we speak, going to pick up the front DS from the local yard for now. I want to get this thing out and about a few times to get some seat time before WF, I don't think I want to push it with just a t-case drop.

Better late then never. This is my 99 with molding off, rust and you can see the mismatch color from the PO body work/paint is hard to match.

Nice, that does look good. I'll take a stab at it when I have a lazy day with nothing else to do. SYE finally ordered today, got a nice :NAXJA: discount from IRO.

Well.. still no recovery points or SYE installed but I got tired of sitting around so the XJ took its maiden voyage today for some light trails at Redbird. Figured I would just do some easy stuff and feel it out especially going out solo, didn't want to push it.

Went through the 3-4 "Easy" trails they have then took on 2-3 of the "More Difficult" trails. It was a little slick in some places but overall did pretty well. The only real issue I had was getting hard into it going up a long, slick hill... got to the top and my CEL came on and the temp gauge shot up to 250-260. Popped the hood and let it idle for a few minutes and it came back down to normal temps.. Not sure what exactly caused that, I may have to look into a manual fan switch or something. Another thing that gave me some issue was my washer fluid motor apparently took a dump on me which is very unfortunate to find out in the middle of a muddy ass trail. Not sure if this is a common thing or what.

Only took one pic half way through on a bathroom break.

Update.

Finally doing the SYE install this Saturday. I also found a Reese hitch at a junkyard for $50 we're throwing on.

Logans Metal winch bumper is on order as well as IRO premium rock sliders. Any opinions on what do next that won't hurt the wallet? Thought about ordering their HD tie rod as well, maybe a front dif cover.

There is a thread in the tech section about the IRO tie rod being too short. Might want to look into that if you're thinking about getting one.

Hmm... definitely something to look into, thanks for the heads up.

Update.

Finally doing the SYE install this Saturday. I also found a Reese hitch at a junkyard for $50 we're throwing on.

Logans Metal winch bumper is on order as well as IRO premium rock sliders. Any opinions on what do next that won't hurt the wallet? Thought about ordering their HD tie rod as well, maybe a front dif cover.

Make sure you got nut strips to go with the hitch, otherwise it will have nothing to secure to.

Got under it again this morning to address some new noises and noticed its been rubbing, anything I can do to avoid this?

Didn't even know that was something I could do haha... hey, still learning!

On another note.. FINALLY got the SYE done last Sunday, went pretty smooth for not having all the right tools. After we got it back together I noticed some front end noise, so this morning we jacked it up and sure enough, upper ball joint and u-joint on the passenger side had some play so they got replaced. Then on to the initial plan for today, finally got the rear hitch on (without using nutstrips) so the rear recovery point is taken care of for now. In the midst of all that I got busy with the cutting wheel on the rusted out lower rear quarters..

Passenger side before:

Driver side after:

And one more pic... this is how she looked when I came outside this morning..

Its a Reese hitch?

Logans Metal front winch bumper arrived today, it'll get painted tomorrow then installed Friday night.

They are talking about the insert, not the hitch itself.

Back