• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Build

Better?

Bumper is painted and drying.. install Friday night!

Well we got the bumper on today, drilled a hole and mounted the flag.. picked up a couple other small things. I think I'm as ready as I'm going to get for Winterfest 2015. I was hoping to make a run to Attica to pick up my sliders from IRO but they aren't getting there early enough.

Anyway, here are a few more pics. Bumper and flag mounted.. relocated the sway bar disconnect brackets to the bumper mount, and had the blown out muffler and rear exhaust section replaced.

Wow your paint is so much better than mine! Mines also a Gunmetal Pearl and i was gonna finish up my bumper today but ran out of time to paint, and paint, then broke steering box bolt so that got delayed. But i love your build so far

Thanks man, it helps when one of your best friends run a paint and body shop haha. Its just gloss black for now, I might spray a flat clear over it or just leave it I'm not sure yet.

Haha yeah it stuck out a little further than I had imagined but I think it is partly due to not having a winch on it yet, makes it look a little worse than it is. It's mounted correctly so nothing is wrong on my end lol

Jeep survived Winterfest pretty much without any issues, had to stop and zip tie up my e-brake cable in the quarry and my starter was giving me fits so I just left it running all day lol..

Anyways, I picked up the IRO sliders and was finally able to get them on yesterday, these things are solid and HEAVY.

Mock up and measuring to drill..

Passenger side done

Drivers side

Represent..

And a full shot.

The next thing I'll do is pick up a winch then I'm done for a while. I might do a couple cheaper things... HD tie rod, diff cover, etc. just to keep the ball rolling but my next major project will be my 8.8 rear end and 4.56's I think. Thats something I can work on and get ready over the spring and hopefully drop it in some time this summer.

Jeep is still rocking. I've been out a couple times since Winterfest and haven't had any major issues. This weekend was fun, wish it would have lasted a little longer. I picked up a set of stiffeners off Hobag and a front skid plate off K5Matt.. to which he informed me I actually have the 8.25 rear end and not a D35 like I thought.

So now.. do I go ahead with the plan of throwing the 8.8 together and doing the swap or selling it and putting the money into the 8.25 I already have??

Forgot to mention, I already have the 8.8 that I paid nothing for. It has disc brakes and limited slip.

3.73's I believe, they're useless lol.. 4.56's are going in regardless of which rear end I keep. Leaning more towards the 8.8 since I already have it... the brakes would be a nice upgrade, and being LSD it can be made into a budget locker pretty inexpensive.

Actually for my 31s it would be pretty good. Still would need to regear the front though :( but let me know if you need to unload it. I need to paint my bumper to be as pretty as yours lol

Bought a cheap eraser wheel off eBay and finally removed the crap left from the side moldings, also buzzed off all the stock grey/white decals and replaced them with black ones.. things you do when you're bored I guess.

I guess I'll start ordering parts and get the ball rolling on the 8.8 rear, also need to figure out some sort of budget locker combo. After seeing some guys go through stuff they shouldn't be able to I really need to get those done.

Change of plans.. sold the 8.8 back to my buddy I got it off of, sticking with the 8.25. Ordered front and rear Aussie lockers last night. Going to try to get them in and get the stiffeners and skid plate on before a July 18th Badlands trip.

Negative. One wheel peel!

Lockers showed up today.. weather permitting I'm gonna get started tomorrow after work!

Good luck. I've been thinking of lockers for a while but considering I only have 3 wheeling trips so far with this and it's still technically my DD it isn't practical especially in the snow. I might try to get a Volvo LSD for the front and a 8.25 rear LSD. Any reason for going with Aussie vs spartan?

Back