• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4th Annual NWC NoobFest

This tread just seamed to die out a few times and I forgot all about it. Damn it! Noob fest has always been a great time. Maybe I'll see ya all next year.

Ok so is anyone going up Friday night? Cause I want to camp Friday night. I have to be home Saturday night. So.......

Depending on the time we got up there we might be able to grab a spot in Browns Camp. Its the only way you can have a fire right now. It has to be in an approved pit.

reverse your thinking, and you got it Kenny. fires are allowed anywhere in the forest below a "yellow" fire danger.

you should be good anywhere ya decide to camp

Bronze.
Im not sure that right, I got popped for having a fire when I was camping at "Can Opener". What the ranger told me was you can only have a fire in a "fire approved pit" He said it was because a fire not in a fire pit can make the ground hot, catch the root of a tree on fire. Fire spreads up the root and starts the tree on fire. He told me this and that if he helped me put out my camp fire he would give me a $150 ticket. But he never said anything about the color code of fire danger. This was in July 2 summers ago.

STATE OF OREGON
DEPARTMENT OF FORESTRY
DECLARATION OF FIRE SEASON
Effective 01:00 a.m., PDT, July 3, 2013
By virtue of the authority vested in me by ORS 477.505, I have determined conditions of
fire hazard exist in the following subject area and declare Fire Season to be in effect:
All lands protected by the Northwest Forest Protection District
Fire Season shall remain in effect until terminated by an additional declaration of the
State Forester that conditions of fire hazard no longer exist.
Maps of the subject area may be viewed at the State Forester's Office, in Salem,
Oregon, and at principal offices of the Forest Protection District.
Paul Bell, Deputy State Forester
Oregon Department of Forestry
July 2, 2013

odffpl_zpsd0d34fe2.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Levels
I. Closed Season
Fire season requirements are in effect. In addition to other fire prevention measures, a Fire Watch is required at this and all higher levels unless otherwise waived.

II. Partial Hootowl
The following may operate only between the hours of 8 P.M. and 1 P.M.
power saws except at loading sites;
cable yarding;
blasting;
welding or cutting of metal.

III. Partial Shutdown
The following are prohibited except as indicated:
cable yarding - except that gravity operated logging systems employing non-motorized carriages may operate between 8 P.M. and 1 P.M. when all blocks and moving lines are suspended 10 feet above the ground except the line between the carriage and the chokers.
power saws - except power saws may be used at loading sites and on tractor/skidder operations between the hours of 8 P.M. and 1 P.M.

In addition, the following are permitted to operate between the hours of 8 P.M. and 1 P.M.:
tractor/skidder, feller-buncher, forwarder, or shovel logging operations where tractors, skidders or other equipment with a blade capable of constructing fireline are immediately available to quickly reach and effectively attack a fire start;
mechanized loading or hauling of any product or material;
blasting;
welding or cutting of metal;
any other spark emitting operation not specifically mentioned.

IV. General Shutdown
All operations are prohibited.

I would say it is best to air on the side of caution and use an "approved" fire pit.

better safe than sorry!

I sent an e-mail to Randy Peterson, he's a OHV coordinator in TSF

The Question,

Can you tell me the rule for having a camp fire in TSF. As there are several 4x4 events coming up I would like to know, so I can share them with NAXJA NWC and others. I was told at one point that camp fires can only be in “Approved Camp Fire Pits”. Then im told that then can be anywhere you want to camp, that didn’t seem right. So I will ask you.
Thank you very much,
Kenny

The Answer,

Hi, Kenny,
Timely question. Through Thursday this week campfires are allowed at developed campground and at all dispersed camping sites across the forest. Starting Friday, we will be going into what is called Regulated Use Fire Season. Once we are in Regulated Use Fire Season campfires are only allowed at developed campgrounds (Browns Camp, Jordan Creek, Gales Creek, Jones Creek, and Diamond Mill) and at designated dispersed sites where we have installed metal firepits in fire safe locations. All of our designated dispersed sites are located on the Tillamook District (area west of Lees Camp store).
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Randy

Your Welcome Bronze, last this we as a group or any other group is a fire to wreck our weekend. Or a ticket for having a fire just in some spot your camped in. Its all good.

I'm out.
Something came up.
I may try and meet you guys up there that afternoon.
But I wont be able to be there in the morning.
Sorry guys. I hope things end up working out, and I get to see you up there.
If anyone is able, post up or send me the trail route info, And I'll try to catch up with you.

Back