• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:88 on 33" yes or no

Bryan C. said:
Shouldn't you run this past your wife first?

probably BUT.....

XJ_ranger said:
good call -

she aproved 1000 for gears, but wont let you spend 120 on coils?

YOU GUYS ARE SUCH NOOBS!!! :lecture:

She will definly notice if the jeep is sittin higher.. :wave:
She KNOWS the diffrence between a 4.5 lift and a 6" lift

The only time she drives it is on the trail (rarely)
So she wont know that it has diffrent gears duh :laugh3:

the only thing she has to approve is what she can see..

sure I know what you guys are thinking
Man Anthony is lieing to his wife.. :pig:

if it was up to her I be sittin on 31's with a D35
btw if anyone asks I have linclon lockers front and back :laugh3:

Just like the 33" MTRS someone gave me for working on thier Jeep ;)
and the CO2 bottle I won at the auction at the last run

VegasAnthony said:
probably BUT.....

With that logic i fixed this:
Bryan C. said:
Shouldn't you run this past your first wife?

the only problem with that, is that she uses the same logic. No honey dont worry about him, he's gay.

VegasAnthony said:
probably BUT.....

Bryan C. said:
I think the first thing you should do is get your balls back from your wife. Then be a man and make a decision for yourself. :wave:

From the wife thread. Seems like it fits better in this thread for some reason.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=571454#post571454

Marital issues aside, if you're going to 35s then without a doubt 4.88s. If you're sticking with 33s, then you need to consider if its a DD and how fast you like to drive. I think 4.88s and 33s are perfect at 70, but the rest of my jeep doesn't like going that fast :D

And no, I didn't read the whole thread.

basalt51 said:
Marital issues aside, if you're going to 35s then without a doubt 4.88s. If you're sticking with 33s, then you need to consider if its a DD and how fast you like to drive. I think 4.88s and 33s are perfect at 70, but the rest of my jeep doesn't like going that fast :D

And no, I didn't read the whole thread.

Ok, so I run 4.88's with a 5 speed. I think that it is too low for me and how fast I drive. Running around with my engine turning 3000 rpm at freeway speeds is a little too much for my liking. I do plan on running 35's in the near future so I really don't worry about it too much right now. WHen I was running an auto in the same rig/configuration I was happy with the gearing.

So tell me this Anthony. Do you ask for advice on everything you do? You sure seem to have an opinion about what everyone else is doing, but you need input to make your own decisions? Not bashing you, I'm just a little bit confused at this point.

Bryan C. said:
Ok, so I run 4.88's with a 5 speed. I think that it is too low for me and how fast I drive. Running around with my engine turning 3000 rpm at freeway speeds is a little too much for my liking. I do plan on running 35's in the near future so I really don't worry about it too much right now. WHen I was running an auto in the same rig/configuration I was happy with the gearing.

So tell me this Anthony. Do you ask for advice on everything you do? You sure seem to have an opinion about what everyone else is doing, but you need input to make your own decisions? Not bashing you, I'm just a little bit confused at this point.

I should have mentioned I'm running an AT.

Bryan C. said:
Ok, so I run 4.88's with a 5 speed. I think that it is too low for me and how fast I drive. Running around with my engine turning 3000 rpm at freeway speeds is a little too much for my liking.

I'm kinda in the same boat except I'm running 35s with 5.13s. A little too low for freeway driving IMO.
Guess I gotta get some 37s(and stronger axles to go with them). :banghead:

Jes said:
I'm kinda in the same boat except I'm running 35s with 5.13s. A little too low for freeway driving IMO.
Guess I gotta get some 37s(and stronger axles to go with them). :banghead:

you have a stroker too though dont you?

Bryan C. said:
So tell me this Anthony. Do you ask for advice on everything you do? .

After building my first cherokee
and ending up with 7.5" of lift on short arms
35" tires on a 27spline 8.25
buying everthing at way overpriced prices(from the wrong vendors)

Now Ibuilding my 2nd XJ so..

YES I ask about all upgrades cause I dont want to make any more dumbass mistakes and end up with a rig that doesnt work as well as it could..

Bryan C. said:
You sure seem to have an opinion about what everyone else is doing, but you need input to make your own decisions? Not bashing you, I'm just a little bit confused at this point.

And as far as having an opinion on what everyone else is doing .. I only post when I have first hand knowledge about the subject or can help out

examples
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67298
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67022

Im not trying to be an ass..
I just like to have opinions about what I do.

Bryan C. said:
Not bashing you, I'm just a little bit confused at this point.

I beg to differ

Last edited:
i've got 4.56's with a auto and 33's and wish i had went a lot lower ,way lower . i cruz at about 70 to 75 at about 2,600rpms . now i want to go up to 36in tires , i wish they made 5.13's for dana30's .

but i will say off road i can crawl or get some tire speed if need be .

VegasAnthony said:
After building my first cherokee
and ending up with 7.5" of lift on short arms
35" tires on a 27spline 8.25
buying everthing at way overpriced prices(from the wrong vendors)

Now Ibuilding my 2nd XJ so..

YES I ask about all upgrades cause I dont want to make any more dumbass mistakes and end up with a rig that doesnt work as well as it could..
I agree that is a good plan, but hopefully you gained some perspective on building an XJ with your prior rig. There is plenty of knowledge floating around here without having to start even one thread.

Im not trying to be an ass..
I just like to have opinions about what I do.
This forum is about voicing your opinion so you got me there. You have to admit though, you were asking for it when you posted the thread about how your wife won't let you get new coils springs. We've all been there before, I would just prefer you keep your dirty laundry to yourself. Grow some thicker skin if my comments bother you.

My point to all this is to make your rig about what it is that you want, not what everyone else thinks is cool. Just remember, there is a difference between free advice and good advice.

I've got 5.13's with 36'' tires. The tranny is an auto and on the highway at 60-65 mph I run at 2100-2300 rpm in od. I should have gone with 5.38s.

IMO 35's with 4.88 ok. 35's with 5.13 even better. Especially, since you have the auto od. hasta

I do not know what axles you have so the second option may not be possible.

afd516 said:
I've got 5.13's with 36'' tires. The tranny is an auto and on the highway at 60-65 mph I run at 2100-2300 rpm in od. I should have gone with 5.38s.

IMO 35's with 4.88 ok. 35's with 5.13 even better. Especially, since you have the auto od. hasta

I do not know what axles you have so the second option may not be possible.

i cant say i agree with this entirely. If you like being able to go 80 on the highway or even 75, id stay at 4.88. Im running right up near 3000rpm's at around 75-80, and wouldnt want to run higher than that. oh yeah i have an auto 35's and 4.88's. Of course if i only saw limited highway use i wouldnt think twice about getting 5.13's

i too like driving at 80, but my jeep is not a fan at all. it yalls at me with every rattle it has once i hit it

i haven't driven my jeep over 65 in FOREVER!!!

60 @ 2000 RPM's is perfect.

Dookie said:
i haven't driven my jeep over 65 in FOREVER!!!

60 @ 2000 RPM's is perfect.

Exactly my point! If you wanted to push it you could go with a steeper gear no prob. just slow it down a bit or run with a little higher rpm.

Back