• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88 and 33's feedback

Yea I am hoping to hear from someone whole has this setup in a rig that does see highway time. I am already leaning more toward 4.56 though.

If your emphasis leans towards highway mileage, your gain by going to 4.56's will be minimal compared to 4.88's. This is approximately a 6% spread.

I love my 4.88's and tho I don't drive over 70, I get almost 17 mpg and have gotten as much as 19.5 on my '94 w/ 120K / AW4 / 5" lift / BFG T/A MK2. Although it's not a DD, I do put significant mileage on it getting to the trails (not a trailer queen).

You will not regret going to 4.88's. Maybe others can post up if they have them and are unhappy with that set up.

im running 35s and 4.56s and its perfect... i know lots would say go 4.88s with 35s, but i love the way my 35s and 4.56s work... i drive mine daily, but it still has plenty low gear to it when i wheel it and kick it into 4lo

im running 35s and 4.56s and its perfect... i know lots would say go 4.88s with 35s, but i love the way my 35s and 4.56s work... i drive mine daily, but it still has plenty low gear to it when i wheel it and kick it into 4lo

If you've never ran that same combo with 4.88's, how do you know it's perfect? You may think it's perfect but if you'd try 4.88's it may be even better.

Lots of folks say that whatever they're running is perfect, and that it's great. It may be better than what they were previously running but without experiencing any thing else..........how do you know that what you have is the best?

I have 33's and 4.56 gears. I wish I had 4.88 gears with 33's. 4.56 with 31's was awesome.

4.88's and 33's kick @ss :cheers: Its the best combo I've ever had.
That gear ratio chart doesnt add variables like adding 1000lbs of weight w/ armor, lift, and bigger rims & tires.
You also took a vehicle that had the aerodynamics of a brick, lifted it and added more rolling resistance w/ bigger tires.
If you've got an aw4, dont go with anything less than 4.56's.
I ran 4.10's w/ 33's and it sucked balls.

4.88's and 33's kick @ss :cheers: Its the best combo I've ever had.
That gear ratio chart doesnt add variables like adding 1000lbs of weight w/ armor, lift, and bigger rims & tires.
You also took a vehicle that had the aerodynamics of a brick, lifted it and added more rolling resistance w/ bigger tires.
If you've got an aw4, dont go with anything less than 4.56's.
I ran 4.10's w/ 33's and it sucked balls.

Very good points!

I too ran 33's and 4.10............I agree with you.

I'm feel for the OP i'm currently running 33x12.5 on stock 3.55's and it blows. Been wanting to regear for months.:tear: When I finally get the funds it will be 4.88's. Now not to hijack the thread but i've heard and read that 4.88's are pretty small in the 30. Would you reccamend running 4.88's in a D30 that is locked.

Jeez just do it already.

I did it for quite a few years. Ran 4.10, 4.56, and 4.88 gears all while wearing out 2 sets of 33" MT/Rs over several years. The 4.10s sucked and they got replaced quick. When I swapped in my D44 I went to 4.88 and have never looked back.

I'm feel for the OP i'm currently running 33x12.5 on stock 3.55's and it blows. Been wanting to regear for months.:tear: When I finally get the funds it will be 4.88's. Now not to hijack the thread but i've heard and read that 4.88's are pretty small in the 30. Would you reccamend running 4.88's in a D30 that is locked.

I beat the crap out of my dana 30. I was always afraid of my r&p blowin' out on the trail and told myself I'd build a d44 when that happens.
After 3 years of abuse, the only thing I've broke was an alloy usa u-joint. 4.88 r&p still holding up. (I run a lock right in the front)
DSC00123.jpg
DSC00091.jpg

DSC00126.jpg
DSC00095.jpg

Back