• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56s and Powertrax No-Slip installed, question:

xjohnnyc said:
So it's a used unit? Did you install it with a new spring kit?

No its new, the guy bought it never installed it, sold his XJ and since he didn't need it now sold it to me. No new springs since it is new.

Kejtar said:
If it feels ok, no reason to pop the cover. If it feels bad, pop it and inspect it and well, fill with the other lube.

It feels fine, like its not there on the hwy. I just am wondering about the rachetting and corners....but now it seems when its broken in it will stop.

Last edited:
If it functions the same as an ez-locker (and im pretty sure it does) then it should definately pop pop pop around corners. The question of noise level is subjective and based on opinion. I don't know who is tellin you that it shouldn't make noise. If it isn't poppin it isn't unlocking and then you may as well have a spool.

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
If it functions the same as an ez-locker (and im pretty sure it does) then it should definately pop pop pop around corners. The question of noise level is subjective and based on opinion. I don't know who is tellin you that it shouldn't make noise. If it isn't poppin it isn't unlocking and then you may as well have a spool.

Thats what makes sense and what I was thinking. Some must not be "listening" for the sound like I am. I can only hear it with the radio off, when the tunes are on I can't hear it.

I think the problem is some say it will NOT ratchet like a Lock-Rite, but they way other say (and my obvious expeirence) is that it does, just way less noisey. Also it does it when I am coasting around sharp turns, not whe non the the gas.

ZachMan said:
Thats what makes sense and what I was thinking. Some must not be "listening" for the sound like I am. I can only hear it with the radio off, when the tunes are on I can't hear it.

I think the problem is some say it will NOT ratchet like a Lock-Rite, but they way other say (and my obvious expeirence) is that it does, just way less noisey. Also it does it when I am coasting around sharp turns, not whe non the the gas.

Yeah I agree with you. I have gotten used to mine and I don't hear it anymore, but i know it still makes noise becuase whenever someone rides with me I get, "What is that horrible clunking sound when you turn." If I have complete quiet though I can hear it. The reason it doesn't do it when you are on the gas going around a curve is because you are applying enough torque to it to make it stay locked. If you listen close while that is happening you'll not only notice the absence of the poping but also a screeching from the tire that isn't turning fast enough being dragged along the road.

And see we are on the sam page, when I get this remark off another forum:

no slip should be pretty seemless, jack it up and test it I'd bet dollars to dog-nuts that it won't test and the active spacer is broke. IIRC they are about $30, but you will have to remove and reinstall the locker, even if you pop the cover you prolly won't find any shavings.

I told him it locks up.

hackedxj said:
Mine makes no noise except a pop sound , but that's rare

Thats not making me feel better, lol. So it never did it when brand new? with the radio off?

all I will run are no-slips if I am (or any friends that want one installed) are going to go insert. Reason.. You dont hear but a slight TICK TICK TICK... When turning unless your under power to the rear wheels and then it locks. You dont get 1/2 and 1/2... That the reason why you pay 100-200 more for it over a EZ locker or assie, ect..

They have sycro rings one either side that can easily be snapped/cracked as mentioned up there by someone else. I would say you have one of two issues:

one is that he broke the syncro when installing it. The kit comes with a spacer that is like a woodruff key, that is a gauge to make sure the ring is installed right before putting the cross pin in.

two, he swapped yoru no-slip for a EZ locker or similar, or the guy you bought it from did, knowing that most dont know the difference...

Well what can go worng "if" the syncro ring is broken? I am not gonna be able to get my Jeep back to the guy a for a few days and I drive 80 miles a day. I just hope whatever it is that might be wrong doesn't screw anything else up.

ROBERTK said:
all I will run are no-slips if I am (or any friends that want one installed) are going to go insert. Reason.. You dont hear but a slight TICK TICK TICK...

Thats all I am hearing is a slight tick tick tick when turning.

if it's new and installed correctly, then some break-in noise is normal. at least mine was a little noisey for a few hundred miles and then it quieted down.

Hey Zach,
I can see you are quite pained by this whole experience. I can be over in Bham this afternoon. I'd be happy to swap out your axle for mine (open and 3.55's) in order to bring some happiness back into your life.... :kissyou:
You just let me know, I'm here for you man..... :sunshine:
ps. I'll need that front also for gearing reasons!

ZachMan said:
Well what can go worng "if" the syncro ring is broken? I am not gonna be able to get my Jeep back to the guy a for a few days and I drive 80 miles a day. I just hope whatever it is that might be wrong doesn't screw anything else up.
If you are worried about it, pop open the cover and use the check block to check if it's installed right: if something is wrong or broken you should be able to see it.

ChuckstrPT said:
Hey Zach,
I can see you are quite pained by this whole experience. I can be over in Bham this afternoon. I'd be happy to swap out your axle for mine (open and 3.55's) in order to bring some happiness back into your life.... :kissyou:
You just let me know, I'm here for you man..... :sunshine:
ps. I'll need that front also for gearing reasons!

LOL, no thanks man. :wave:

I don't want to sound like a baby, I can take the sounds and all, just got to make sure its not about to blow up, lol.

Kejtar said:
If you are worried about it, pop open the cover and use the check block to check if it's installed right: if something is wrong or broken you should be able to see it.

Well I worry about every little thing, thats just me. I am gonna drive it a few more days and see if it goes away as it is broken in. One thing I idd notice was its almost silent turning to the right, but its clicks more when turning to the left...I think. I am being told if anything its the active spacer and it might be broken ($30 part), but I just don't want that to cause other (more expensive) stuff to break.

I don't even think I have the little check block, I need to read the manual and see how its used anyways. Man I hate having stuff installed by others cause I have no idea about anything on this locker.

ZachMan said:
I don't even think I have the little check block
If you don't have it have someone measure theirs with a a caliper and then you can use the appropriate drill bit to check the install.
I need to read the manual and see how its used anyways. Man I hate having stuff installed by others cause I have no idea about anything on this locker.
Ummm you didn't read the manual yet?

Kejtar said:
If you don't have it have someone measure theirs with a a caliper and then you can use the appropriate drill bit to check the install.

Ummm you didn't read the manual yet?

Well yeah on how it works and how it acts, but not on how to install it, I didn't install it.

Like when you say check it, will it show in the maual how to check it? I mean where to put the block or whatever?

I am still not sure if anything is even wrong. If the active spacer is broken or whatever ca nit cause damage to other stuff?

Also if its broken I shouldn't be able to lock my tires correct? I am gonna try some hill climbing in 2wd today and make sure.

ZachMan said:
I am still not sure if anything is even wrong. If the active spacer is broken or whatever ca nit cause damage to other stuff?

Also if its broken I shouldn't be able to lock my tires correct? I am gonna try some hill climbing in 2wd today and make sure.
Yes if it's broken it can cause other breakage. If you're suspicious look inside: there is no way that you can determine if anything is broken without popping the cover and inspecting it. It's better to spend an hour or two looking then paying for it later.

Back