• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Rebuild

We built Goatmans stroker for his KOH buggy at .038 with 10:1 compression. Runs great on pump gas, does not ping.

He does need a bigger cam in it (the way that he drives the vehicle has changed a bit) but we've both been too lazy to pull the head and change it out.

When you're doing a rebuild, the "extra cost" to do a stroker is the cost of a crank (~$100). There's nothing else special you really have to do, it is cheap easy power all the way through the rpm range and really makes the rig more fun to drive.

Or in my case your original crank is trashed, and a reman costs just as much as a 258 crank would have. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for doing a stock rebuild not stroking it.

We built Goatmans stroker for his KOH buggy at .038 with 10:1 compression. Runs great on pump gas, does not ping.

He does need a bigger cam in it (the way that he drives the vehicle has changed a bit) but we've both been too lazy to pull the head and change it out.

When you're doing a rebuild, the "extra cost" to do a stroker is the cost of a crank (~$100). There's nothing else special you really have to do, it is cheap easy power all the way through the rpm range and really makes the rig more fun to drive.

So stroking the 4.0 doesn't reduce gas mileage significantly, impact normal DD chores in a bad way, or reduce reliability over all? And you can still run normal (87) octane gaz? What about operating temps? Drive-line?

My experience with strokers is limited to the gear heads in high school who wanted to turn their Cutlas or Impala (1970's) into a rocket and ended up spending a shit-load of money before blowing the engine and paying to have the hulk towed away. So I've just never considered it as a viable option.

No, the 4.0 should have been a 4.6 from the factory, maybe a 4.7. With factory design and ECM support it would have been the best motor out there. If anyone is thinking of doing a rebuild they should stroke it, the nominal cost increase is well worth it.

My gas mileage went up a little (you are increasing the torque down low which lets you get started a little easier, and your excess power curve is raised so you can do more with less). It drives the same under normal conditions, but when you start to reach with it, there is more HP and torque there for your use.

mileage will drop a little bit at idle--the larger displacement will require more fuel to match the increased volume--but more power at disposal can allow more efficient use of more effective throttle. everything else is stable

Looking at a rebuild myself. Is there a good stroker kit that doesn't require you to change injectors or anything extra like that? There are a lot of random kits for rebuilds, butnot sure what to trust. Any help would be great.
I think I have a knocking rod so I may have to get a new crank to start with anyway.

to the OP

those are def implants on the bird in your avatar. the nip on the right (her left nip) is slightly lower than the nip on the right. def some surgery done there.

carry on

1: I follow a strict personal motto of: If I can touch them, they are real
2: Who cares, it is someones avatar of a girl you are never gonna see anyway

Last edited:
1: I follow a strick personal motto of: If I can touch them, they are real
2: Who cares, it is someones avatar of a girl you are never gonna see anyway

oh i dont care

it was just an observation of a boob job gone bad. i would have asked for my money back.

and im a card carrying member of your Rule #1 :greensmok

You can't tell from that. All creatures have one side that is more fully developed than the other. Look at your legs, one of them is bigger than the other. Every woman has one breast bigger than the other, too.

im fully aware that everyone has one larger eye than the other, ear, etc...

those nips arent even close.

and i can indeed tell from that. ive seen PLENTY of good and bad boob jobs up close and personal. that was a poor job.

im fully aware that everyone has one larger eye than the other, ear, etc...

those nips arent even close.

and i can indeed tell from that. ive seen PLENTY of good and bad boob jobs up close and personal. that was a poor job.

Don't care. But obviously the headlights need aligned.

You need to read A LOT more. And stop listening to people who say stuff like this. Specifically the ones who talk about piston to valve clearances having ANYTHING to do with overbore.

I meant .060 of material decked off the block/head. Sorry I chose a nice round number commonly associated with overbore sizes.

Also do any of the stroker owners still perfer to regear for small corrections? like my case going to 4.10s for 31s (aw4) I figure taller gearing would be the key for efficiency with a stroker but u can never have enough torque either I guess. I just know 31s and 3.55s was very comfortable with my 87 4.0 where I still debate regearing.

I meant .060 of material decked off the block/head. Sorry I chose a nice round number commonly associated with overbore sizes.

Also do any of the stroker owners still perfer to regear for small corrections? like my case going to 4.10s for 31s (aw4) I figure taller gearing would be the key for efficiency with a stroker but u can never have enough torque either I guess. I just know 31s and 3.55s was very comfortable with my 87 4.0 where I still debate regearing.

Gear it the same way you gear a non stroked 4.0 - AS DEEP AS YOU CAN. You will use less throttle for the same speed, have a ton more power and possibly get better gas mileage.

I'm on an 8" lift, 37's, 5.13 gears, 4.7 stroker and a lot of weight - my last trip up to the mountains and back down I got 17.5 mpg average.

Gear it the same way you gear a non stroked 4.0 - AS DEEP AS YOU CAN. You will use less throttle for the same speed, have a ton more power and possibly get better gas mileage.

I'm on an 8" lift, 37's, 5.13 gears, 4.7 stroker and a lot of weight - my last trip up to the mountains and back down I got 17.5 mpg average.

Got a picture of your rig? Im at about the same lift, but running 35's. Also running 5:13's and the power is amazing. Also getting about 17 highway! (but only about 10 city :laugh:)

Totally agree GO DEEP!

Back