• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2014 Cherokee.

thechief86

NAXJA Forum User
Great. Just what we friggin needed. Another minivan. Everything I've read about this new pile sounds like a terrible idea to me. Every video I've seen just looks like it flexes like a 2x4, and you just hammer on the gas till you
Make it up the hill or break something.
I wish we could stand outside the factory in Toledo and picket.
I drive by the factory 4 times a week, and used to salute the place as I went by, because of the history, heritage, and the emotions I feel when I think of jeeps saving the world, and growing up to be one of the coolest cars ever.
After seeing the new "Cherokee" and doing some research, I'm inclined to modify my salute....

I'd rock the new 2014 Cherokee.

I'll take 31 mpg to get to drive a Jeep as a DD vs. my 1988 Chevy Celebrity that gets 23.

Besides, you guys are viewing this all wrong. The more high mileage, eco friendly models they can turn out, the more it helps their CAFE requirements. That means they might just leave the one uber cool JK alone and keep the axles and suspension intact. If they can't find a way to meet the CAFE, the few models they offer that are still serious trail rigs will go bye bye.

What they really need is a hybrid or all electric Jeep. Let the flaming begin!

I would sell a body part and donate the money to see a hybrid, 30 mpg Cherokee with actual solid axles and a transfer case. I don't mind fuel economy one bit. I just don't want to see weak sauce cars that are sometimes all wheel drive and plastic bumpers get to share a name with something that over the last several decades has been equated with toughness and durability. At first the Xj was thought of in the same light I'm casting on the new
POS, but at least it proved itself to be just as tough as the original full size Cherokees.

The closest thing I can think of to compare a real Cherokee to the new one is the guy walking around San Francisco in a leather vest and assless leather chaps, because It makes him look "tough". When jeep was on the auction block, there were jokes that he name had been bought by international and that they had plans to bring back the "Scout" line.
Instead, it was sold to Fiat, who pushes out garbage like this. I have no problem with fuel economy and safety, I really don't. But I believe it can be accomplished without making something awesome suck. Call it anything but a Cherokee is what I'm getting at. It makes the people who love them look bad... Better yet, perhaps the Italians should just stick to what they're good at: motorcycles and sports cars. Those always turn out great!

For the record, my '84 Xj with a 2.5l, five speed, and (factory) 4.56 gears got 31 mpg with 31's consistently, and on top of that was a stellar trail machine with just some minor augmentation. The best part, it didn't look like every other mommy-car out there. The name Cherokee means something to me, and it has something to do with keeping the "utility" in "sport utility vehicle". Almost every jeep I've owned has been over 20 years old, with close to, or much more than 200k miles on the clock, and ran great, even with what I used them for. Of course, if 20 years from now I can wheel a 2014 Cherokee and get to the top of the mountain with the rest of my friends, I'll shut my fat mouth, lol.
Good luck, new Cherokee, you're gonna need it.
;)

I'll take 31 mpg to get to drive a Jeep as a DD vs. my 1988 Chevy Celebrity that gets 23.

Besides, you guys are viewing this all wrong. The more high mileage, eco friendly models they can turn out, the more it helps their CAFE requirements. That means they might just leave the one uber cool JK alone and keep the axles and suspension intact. If they can't find a way to meet the CAFE, the few models they offer that are still serious trail rigs will go bye bye.

Man, an all electric jeep could have monster torque. Have 'em make one with a motor at each wheel and a diesel for a gen. Mmmmmmmm.

I'll agree I see the necessity for small econoboxes for Jeep to meet CAFE requirements, but that doesn't mean I want to drive them. I rather see a jeep be a jeep. Every time I see a Compass I wish I had an RPG.

Great. Just what we friggin needed. Another minivan. Everything I've read about this new pile sounds like a terrible idea to me. Every video I've seen just looks like it flexes like a 2x4, and you just hammer on the gas till you
Make it up the hill or break something.
I wish we could stand outside the factory in Toledo and picket.
I drive by the factory 4 times a week, and used to salute the place as I went by, because of the history, heritage, and the emotions I feel when I think of jeeps saving the world, and growing up to be one of the coolest cars ever.
After seeing the new "Cherokee" and doing some research, I'm inclined to modify my salute....

lol! You haven't been online much lately, have you?

lol! You haven't been online much lately, have you?

x2

99% of the public doesn't take their vehicle offroad. Why would a major auto manufacturer continue to build vehicles that won't sell? I just priced a loaded JK Rubicon at $42.6k. What soccer mom is going to buy a rough riding, small interior jeep that gets 16 mpg?

Why is the Grand Cherokee socially acceptable to us off roaders with IFS/IRS and all the bells and whistles but the new Cherokee isn't? If you hate the "minivan" that the cherokee is, you have to hate all the other ones too. The problem with that attitude is you're the minority and the majority buys a lot more cars than you do.

The OP needs to help his own cause out. Go buy a JK. Show jeep what a force you are to be reckoned with.

I think a big issue that a lot have with this new cherokee are the aesthetics. It would have been nice to have a body that is somewhat similar but meets todays standards in the overall design of the vehicle. The grand cherokee and wranglers continue to resemble a simiilar design from years past. This cherokee design is no where close. I'm sure its fine for what its designed for but overall the look isn't too pleasing. This is just my two cents.

I guess my problem is that I like old stuff. I'm not really a fan of jk's either. More or less, when they killed the Tj, they killed jeep for me. I will continue to by old jeeps, long after new jeeps are no longer being made. I don't car if anybody takes them Offroad, I just would like to see jeep maintain their reputation for building durable, reliable vehicles. I would be more likely to buy a kia sorento than the new Cherokee. That could change if they'd change just a couple of things to make it tougher.

My biggest issue is that they made it ugly as balls and named it a Cherokee. As for the Grand Cherokee, I'm not a fan, I find it almost as bad as the Cherokee, but the Hemi option and the sleek look make it not quite as terrible. If they'd named it something like Grand Compass, I'd be happy. I think they should've used the new Cherokee to introduce a diesel to Jeep's lineup, with solid axles and a transfer case, but since I'm not Jeep and I didn't have a say in the design, I can't do anything about it.

gents.....i have in my life owned 5 xjs. i currently have 3 that inhabit my driveway. XJS.

the new cherokee is ugly as sin. there is not way around it. but i have (flame suit on) been researching it and seeing what this terrible offering from jeep is all about. iv watched the road tests and the off road stuff and must say i kinda like it...along the same like of a scalding hot shower water. i know i shouldn't, and it is kinda bad for me but i dont mind.

as a guy with 2 kids and a wife, who likes comfy rides and good fuel economy this thing isnt that bad. the wiz bang goodies are impressive, the motors are too small by my standards turn the wrong wheels, seem to be not bad. the suspension is independent front and back thus making a smooth ride. the 4x4 system is just odd. the rear is a pto thing?

im getting off track. smooth riding. really nice inside bits and good on gas. would i take one? yes i would. but it could only be a trail hawk. yes im special, and im ok with that. would i beat on it daily? no but i would find a way to make it work all 4 wheels anywhere and ever chance i had. and never tell the wife.

will i buy one? not anytime soon but would i let it sit next to my other cherokees? sure. its a new take on our beloved 4x4s. just think how people felt when the XJ hit the market after the FSJ cherokee ? just saying

People did hate the XJ when it came out.... It was French designed unibody :)

..... Now it's an Italian designed unibody, the cycle will continue. There are enough old XJs still out there for cheap for me to not worry about what they're designing now.

Good point Doug.

Well, I said what I was thinking, and from here I'll keep my mouth shut. These things are somewhat capable, and someday there may be some aftermarket support to make them tougher. I don't find them that hideous, just not rugged looking at all. If they end up being good cars, then cool. I just like vehicles with potential for upgrades, and everything about this ride says what you see is what you're stuck with. Maybe it's perfect from the factory and doesn't need modification to be cool and fun. Time will tell. I just wished they had called it something else. I don't know what, just anything besides "Cherokee".
The grand Cherokees were more soccer mom from day one with the zj's, so I can deal with them having independent suspension and whatnot. They are also rear wheel drive. It's hard for me to like anything front wheel drive, or with an automatic transmission, which xj's changed my mind about. A front wheel drive, 9 speed automatic that sends power to the rear wheels when it feels slippage seems like a technical nightmare to me. But who knows.
It may prove to be tougher and easier to work on than an Xj over time...

Nope. Simple solution to all the CAFE standards is there. Diesel FTW! '07 '08 Grands are reported to get 29 hwy and 19 city. Not bad when you think about the size and weight of that vehicle. I want one. BAD! Especially sense that is the 3.0L that was designed and built by MB! The Grand will fall apart before that motor will. Also even the JK with the smaller Diesel is getting those numbers overseas. :conceited

Diesel helps but when the magic number is to build an fuel average of your fleet at 35.5 mpg, you have gas burners getting less so you have to have others getting higher mileage to offset it upward to get to the average mandated. Diesel alone won't meet the standard set today. By 2025 the new standard is supposed to be 54.5 mpg.

Diesel helps but when the magic number is to build an fuel average of your fleet at 35.5 mpg, you have gas burners getting less so you have to have others getting higher mileage to offset it upward to get to the average mandated. Diesel alone won't meet the standard set today. By 2025 the new standard is supposed to be 54.5 mpg.

I don't see how they will get that millage with out going all hybrid. I hate hybrid's.

I don't see how they will get that millage with out going all hybrid. I hate hybrid's.

I'd like to see diesel electrics built like in locomotives. THe diesel engine doesn't actually drive the wheels but runs the generator(s) to run the electric motors driving the wheels.

I know dodge (cummins) and the US military were working on something like that...which means it's out there.

i wasn't trying to rag on the good gas mileage part, guys. just the fact that the new Cherokee is nothing like our xj's. It probably would be possible to build a 100 mpg diesel electric rock buggy on 37's that meets safety standards.
I just hate that every single hatchback vehicle is exactly the same thing now, with the only differences being in size and brand name.
today I started listing all the cookie cutter "suv's" that are exactly the same basic look as the new beast they called a Cherokee.
lexus rx300
Ford Escape
pontia vibe
Toyota matrix
Honda cr-v
Hyundai santa fe
kia sorento
kia sportage
Nissan juke
Nissan murano
Toyota venza
Toyota highlander
jeep Cherokee
jeep grand Cherokee
mazda 3
mazda 5
there are more, i'm just making the point that they all look the same, and that's the last thing I wanted to see jeep do.

In the XJ's heyday, you could say the same thing.

Chevy Blazer
GMC Jimmy
Ford Explorer
Jeep Cherokee
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Dodge Durango (in '98)

All boxy unibody SUV's. Now they're all curvy hatchback SUV's. It's not like Jeep took a drastic turn in styling or bucked the trend, they did what every car company does. The looked at what sells and they copied it.

Do I want a Jeep with a flat dash, 3 gauges and a clutch? Of course I do. But that's a specialty owner talking. I enjoyed my JK rental last february just as much and it's about as far from a CJ as you can get.

I would love to see some of those initial magazine reviews of a unibody jeep with a french drivetrain from 1984. I bet they weren't pleased with the direction the company was going either :D

Back