• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1/2 to 3/8 socket adapter

Cheaper and smarter to buy the size you need in 1/2" drive. things that require a breaker bar probably shouldn't be using a 3/8" drive tool.

:dunno:

Today, I wanted to change out my O2 sensor. The socket thing was 3/8". I wanted more leverage, but my cheater pipe was too long and it hit the pavement. So, I wanted to use my 1/2" socket handle. This is a case where I need a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter. The O2 socket doesn't come in 1/2" drive.

Also, I don't see the problem in using a 3/8" drive socket to remove a lugnut. People do it all the time. If the adapter holds, I can use the 1/2" breaker bar instead of a 3/8" socket. I would only buy the 17mm socket in 1/2" if I knew the adapter will shear.

Napa sells a 1/2 to 3/8 rated for impact gun use.

Also, I don't see the problem in using a 3/8" drive socket to remove a lugnut. People do it all the time. If the adapter holds, I can use the 1/2" breaker bar instead of a 3/8" socket. I would only buy the 17mm socket in 1/2" if I knew the adapter will shear.

People drive drunk, do meth, cut themselves, etc etc.....all the time. Why not do those things too?

When you are broken down on the side of the road..... you don't want to hope the adapter doesn't shear. You wanna grab your tools and know you will be fine

Relax people...it may be better to use the 1/2" but I still have a full set of adapters between all the sizes. Sometimes you just need them in certain situations to get the job done. It's not like doing meth...

The adapter I sheared was black "impact" adapter. This was a cheapo $10 set from Ebay. This time, I would like to get a regular adapter, as it seems impacts are actually softer.

Oh so do i. adapters to every size up and down.
but to argue that using a large breaker bar on a step down adapter to 3/8 from 1/2 makes any sense at all is just ridiculous. if it is on there tight enough you are struggling with a breaker bar, you will be very hard pressed to find adapter to hold up to that. that is the whole purpose of making a larger drive socket.

For times when you don't need a breaker bar, but a regular ratchet. So that you can carry one drive size socket set and have different ratchets depending on room available and ease of turning.

I guess you can say they (manufacturers) figured it was common sense that if you need a 1/2" breaker, you shouldn't use a 3/8" step down.

But go at it man. Do it to it

Dont argue bimmer, the fact that you even posted this thread proves that in4aride and others are correct.

SURE, if your lug nuts have an entire history of being antiseized, and you lived in non-rust country, SURE, you COULD use an adapter... but if youve got the choice, use the right tool. Which is NOT an adapter.

I prefer a 4-way for wheel removal/reinstallation, but thats just because i need it for torque-to-poop.

Relax people...it may be better to use the 1/2" but I still have a full set of adapters between all the sizes. Sometimes you just need them in certain situations to get the job done. It's not like doing meth...

Sometimes all kinda of semi-hokey stuff is 'ok' to do, but after breaking 1 adapter, going back, and buying ANOTHER adapter, instead of the right tool.... that would be foolish.
Many of us have adapter sets, many of us use them semi regularly. Just not on a breaker bar after you allready broke one.

I have a matco impact one that has a replaceable 3/8 apparatus. Only broken once. But fixed for free due to lifetime warranty. I also have craftsman and a napa non-impact 1/2>3/8 adapter each have been broken once and replaced. They are also replaced for free.
I use my impact one all the time.
And if you have to use a breaker bar on an O2 sensor, then you are doing something wrong. You should spray the heck out of it with PB blaster or other penetrating oil.

He broke a cheap adapter. No biggy. Depending on the situation sometimes you just need to do what you need to do. i'm a torch guy myself when it comes to stuck stuff...

He broke a cheap adapter. No biggy. Depending on the situation sometimes you just need to do what you need to do. i'm a torch guy myself when it comes to stuck stuff...

Can't torch a lug nut off.... ( Well, you probably could, but the outcome wouldn't be very pretty...)

Fact remains this guy/girl used a 3/8" adapter and a 1/2" breaker bar to do the job of a lug wrench... Ooof...

I don't know if you have noticed how cheaply the lug wrenches that come with your car are made...I think the 3/8 will be fine. I was talking about the O2 sensor he previously talked about when I said torch. I torque all my lugnuts personally

Back