• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

02 Grand rear axle

90NHXJ

NAXJA Forum User
02 Grand Cherokee. 4.0. What is the rear axle on this. It looks like a 35 but when I pulled the dif cover it doesn't seem to have a c clip. Just by visual. I didn't try removing the rod in the middle of the spider gears. There was already a gap between the axle and the rod and I wasn't able to close it by pushing the axle inwards. On a c clip I believe you would be able to push it in a bit to expose the c clip. The rod would prevent the axle from moving in to expose the clip until you remove the little set screw and pull the rod.

Whole point is I have a driver side axle shaft leak on the rear dripping all over the brakes. How do you replace this seal if it's not a c clip style. And please educate me correctly if it is in fact a c clip and I'm just being plain dumb. Thanks -

On the non clip style how do you remove the axle to replace the seal. It doesn't budge. Pulled the 4 nuts on the back side of the shield at the brakes. That loosened the cover where I believe the seal to be but it doesn't come out. Read somewhere about a slide hammer and hydraulic presses for the bearings. Anyone confirm? Thanks.

this is based on my d44 rear end, but im pretty sure theyre the same.

on a semi float axle like a d35 non c-clip, or an xj d44, there should be holes in the axle flange, large enough to get a socket thru, behind this flange, there are 4 bolts/nuts, remove the brakes, and loosen these. take the brake drum and install it backwards, put 2 or 3 lug nuts back on, and use that as a slide hammer, chances are it's just RTV or grime holding it on at this point, it'll come off. you dont need to go into the center section at all.

you can see 2 of the heads of the bolts here, they should be notched so you dont need to put a wrench on the backside.

you should quit while you're ahead, and drop in an 8.25 if you go offroading in places you would like to avoid being stuck at. the 35 is a weak POS

Last edited:
Moving to Other Tech forum.

On a WJ to remove the axle shaft, remove the 4 nuts on the backside of the brake caliper mount/backing plate. Should be 9/16" socket to remove them. 18mm for the brake caliper mounting bolts.

To replace the seal, the old lock ring and bearing must first be removed, this normally destroys them. You will need to press a new bearing and lock ring onto the axle shaft with the new seal.

Back