NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 1st, 2004, 18:05
NAXJA Forum User

No back seat

Took the back seat out of my 98XJ today. Going to make a false floor tomarrow to cover up the area where the seat folded down into. Has anyone else done this and does anyone have pics of theirs?
Old February 1st, 2004, 18:30
NAXJA Forum User

I am in the exact same process with my 87' 2dr. I also yanked all of the carpet and most of the rear trim panels. What are you going to make the false floor out of? For mine I think I am going to use 3/16" I know it is over kill, but I have some pnumatic lifts that need some weight to hold them shut.
Someone has to have pics.
Old February 1st, 2004, 18:38
NAXJA Forum User

I am just going to get some wood. I just need to flatten out the back because I like to sleep back there on offroad trips. But I would really like to see some pics.
Old February 1st, 2004, 20:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch85
I am just going to get some wood. I just need to flatten out the back because I like to sleep back there on offroad trips. But I would really like to see some pics.
You might try to incorparate some trap doors of some kind so that you can use the dead space for storage
Old February 1st, 2004, 20:15
NAXJA Forum User

Mine will be hinged so I can store tools and stuff underneath. I will try to finish up soon!
Old February 1st, 2004, 20:52
NAXJA Member #149

I've been considering the same mod. I haven't had time to pursue it. Post some pics when you get done. Let us check out your ideas.

I had an idea to make a steel frame out of angle iron and using expanded metal. Make it long enough so that it would extend to the back of the front seats. (I hate the hole left by the lower seat cushion. My pillow always falls down there no matter what I use to fill the hole.) I've been thinking of trying to retain the latching mechanism so that I can lift the new panel up and block off the rear area when hauling stuff.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 02:38
NAXJA Member

I took the seat completly out back and all. Made a brace out of some scrap I had, bolted this into the floor. Use 1/8" plate to make the floor. It is bolted to the brace and where the seat back bolted into. I did this so I can put the seat back in if needed ( 3 kids). Had a tool box & hi lift bolted to it for the Moab trip. If I am going to sleep in the back I put the jack underneath. I don't have any openings in the top, but the sides are open. If anyone wants pics. send me your email & I will send some. Jim
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:44
NAXJA Forum User

i recently built a wall similar to beezils when he first did his chop.
the wall is to separate passengers from tools and equip. the "wall" is about 2-3 inches aft of the "c" pillar, and made from 1/14" square tubing. it also has 20ga. sheetmetal covering both sides.
im in the process completing the "floor". its made from the same material as the wall. storage is accessible through the front. its strong enough for seating (later down the road).
-G
Old February 3rd, 2004, 13:25
NAXJA Forum User

Friend of mine did this

A friend of mine did this, check out here:

http://www.geocities.com/balloo93/Storage.html

http://www.geocities.com/jammerjamesharmon/

james
Old February 3rd, 2004, 13:43
NAXJA Forum User

A friend of mine did this, check out here:

http://www.geocities.com/balloo93/Storage.html

Link didn't work.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 13:50
NAXJA Member #987

stupid geocities is denying access because too many people have gone to it at once.. try again in a little bit..
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:30
NAXJA Member #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLXJ
I took the seat completly out back and all. Made a brace out of some scrap I had, bolted this into the floor. Use 1/8" plate to make the floor. It is bolted to the brace and where the seat back bolted into. I did this so I can put the seat back in if needed ( 3 kids). Had a tool box & hi lift bolted to it for the Moab trip. If I am going to sleep in the back I put the jack underneath. I don't have any openings in the top, but the sides are open. If anyone wants pics. send me your email & I will send some. Jim
Here are some pics of Jim's work.