NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 18th, 2019, 10:05
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 4.7 stroker, whatchu got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Not sure what you meant by comfort but they originally took mine to a 100mph when it was on the dyno. I constantly run at 80mph before my tire balance starts to feel "off". What more are you looking for?
Well about those speeds plus gears and your RPMs are up there. I kinda figured some might have opted to get a but more range with the added power. "Comfort" running 2000+ vs 80mph 3000rpm or such.
Is, y'all come up with all sorts of cool ideas. Figured it worth asking.
Old September 18th, 2019, 10:14
NAXJA Forum User

The cost of a 700r4 or 4l60 for just an extra .05 OD, personally, isn't there. Granted the lower first gear is cool but again cost and time is to great for what you get.

Now if you're doing an engine swap then it'd be in your best interest to do the trans too.
Old September 18th, 2019, 10:22
NAXJA Forum User

Well every year we plan a week somewhere with Ouray being one of my favorites. I tow my +3000# trailer with me everywhere I go without even slowing down on the hills.
Old September 18th, 2019, 10:24
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
Every 12 hole injector I have looked up has been intended for engines with 2 intake valves. The holes are angled to spray outward and not strait down, to spray into both valves.

On our 1 valve engines, it causes them to spray onto the valve seat and causes the fuel to bead up.

Not to mention they are 19 pound injectors too small for a stroker, and the commonly sold ones in the XJ groups appear to be knock offs and not legit Bosch.
Huh. Tried those multi-hole injectors on my XJ and both sets ran like crap part throttle. Esplains it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
Well about those speeds plus gears and your RPMs are up there. I kinda figured some might have opted to get a but more range with the added power. "Comfort" running 2000+ vs 80mph 3000rpm or such.
Is, y'all come up with all sorts of cool ideas. Figured it worth asking.
Even with just 33s and 4.56s (AKA, "over-geared"), 4th isn't terribly useful unless the road is completely flat. Any detectable grade and I need a downshift, which means even more noise. Last thing I want is an even longer 4th. Might be fine on an XJ without armor/frame beef, but on my pig...
Old September 18th, 2019, 10:25
NAXJA Forum User

BTW, turning ~2400rpm at 70mph. Wish it was about 2600. Tire/wind noise drowns out the motor at that speed anyway.
Old September 18th, 2019, 11:52
NAXJA Forum User

If you look at my dyno runs you will see that I produce max torque around 2250rpm @ 63MPH, and my rpm's are about 2500rpm @ 70mph.

Old September 18th, 2019, 14:16
NAXJA Warranty Voider

I went with 4.10's and 33's as a test and find that I am way undergeared. If I were doing it over, I'd do 4.56 or 4.88, even with the high compression stroker.

I don't know that more overdrive would really help, but you could always run the renix era aw4 with an extra .05, bolt in up to 97 as long as you get the correct t-case too.
Old September 18th, 2019, 15:56
NAXJA Forum User

I'm an AW4 fan. They are pretty solid.

That said, my current build is getting an AX15.

I can't see that the new multi speed autos are going to offer much with the 4.0 (or 4.6) power characteristics. They are really meant for staying in the power for modern small, forced induction or high rev engines.
Old September 18th, 2019, 17:28
NAXJA Forum User

You guys made get on the phone with Russ for most of the day. We talked about the rest of the other 100hp that he built into my cylinder head. We discussed cams, roller cams, and higher ratio rockers, I'm leaning towards the rockers since everything else means a semi-teardown. The only issue I have is to keep it emissions compliant!
Old September 18th, 2019, 18:11
NAXJA Member

RCP, I talked to Russ last week, and I am still waiting for an e-mail from him on his kits! My fall-winter project plan is for a 4.7 for my XJ. It is a slow dog getting up in the mountains!

BTW - you guys have emissions out there Phoenix? I thought they were pretty liberal about that out there! I live here in the Peoples Republic of CA, where CARB is a total PITA -always scrutinizing every single change you make to your rig!
Old September 18th, 2019, 18:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabronco View Post
BTW - you guys have emissions out there Phoenix? I thought they were pretty liberal about that out there! I live here in the Peoples Republic of CA, where CARB is a total PITA -always scrutinizing every single change you make to your rig!
Yes we do here in Phoenix every 2yrs for OBD II, there not real strict on looking at your equipment, just that the Scanner they put on can't show anything "funny/strange".
Old September 18th, 2019, 18:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabronco View Post
I talked to Russ last week, and I am still waiting for an e-mail from him on his kits! My fall-winter project plan is for a 4.7 for my XJ. It is a slow dog getting up in the mountains!
I bought my "kit" from Russ - Scat crank and his BB/Scat rods, Comp cam 68-232-4 cam, Race-tec pistons, and a Racemaster timing set in 3/18 and it was about $1500. I spent the big buck's on his "all in" head/intake work whick was about$2k.
Old September 19th, 2019, 07:30
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
You guys made get on the phone with Russ for most of the day. We talked about the rest of the other 100hp that he built into my cylinder head. We discussed cams, roller cams, and higher ratio rockers, I'm leaning towards the rockers since everything else means a semi-teardown. The only issue I have is to keep it emissions compliant!
I'm running the 1.65 ratio rockers on my motor. In chasing a noise, I temporarily swapped in 1.6 stock rockers, and there was a noticeable drop in power. I think if I were doing it over I'd be talking to him about 1.7 ratio rockers instead.
Old September 19th, 2019, 08:08
NAXJA Forum User

I've never been fond of high ratio rockers because of their valve speed increase but it's that or tear into the motor. Russ is having Harland Sharp make some 1.7's for him, I am also looking at the Scorpiuon rockers.
https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1155822
Old September 19th, 2019, 08:35
NAXJA Warranty Voider

I like the Harlands Russ has made (i have run several sets over the years).

What I like about the high ratio rockers is that you're adding air without adding RPM to the power band. We ran the 1.7 adjustable rockers with fixed lifters on 4643, I went to the 1.65's on this car so that I didn't have to run a valve cover spacer (he didn't have 1.7 fixed rockers in stock).