• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dream big? 4.7 I6 super/ turbocharged or a GM 5.3?

I think it would be nice if the one's that have put in a LS motor said what parts they used ? Like was it a 5.3 or a 6.0 what trans and transfer case they used . what they did for a radiator and a cooling fan , did they keep the A/C ?

Not go speak for random ls swap people, but... I've seen a bit of everything. 5.3 is the same size as the 6.0 externally, so unless you have strip times or videos or something it's all the same as far as an internet build goes.

Trans/case. Most people seem to use the 4l60e with a hybrid np231 case with a guy or two doing the 4l80e.

Radiator. There is a Novak radiator or if you search hard there's a 19"x20 something or there abouts universal radiator that some guys have made work. You can cut the cross member under the radiator mount and run whatever fits. I'm tempted to do this now anyway. I think I still have a nice aluminum radiator that might just fit too.

Ac. Most guys seem to use the GM ac. I am thinking more about using the jeep compressor so there's no extra voodoo with the switches and jeep pcm.

Not go speak for random ls swap people, but... I've seen a bit of everything. 5.3 is the same size as the 6.0 externally, so unless you have strip times or videos or something it's all the same as far as an internet build goes.

Trans/case. Most people seem to use the 4l60e with a hybrid np231 case with a guy or two doing the 4l80e.

Radiator. There is a Novak radiator or if you search hard there's a 19"x20 something or there abouts universal radiator that some guys have made work. You can cut the cross member under the radiator mount and run whatever fits. I'm tempted to do this now anyway. I think I still have a nice aluminum radiator that might just fit too.

Ac. Most guys seem to use the GM ac. I am thinking more about using the jeep compressor so there's no extra voodoo with the switches and jeep pcm.
pretty much on point...

consider most gen 3/4 LS stuff pretty much interchangeable. block and heads are all going to be pretty much the same envelope whether one wants to use a JY 4.8L or buys a crate LS3... the applicable differences might be oil pan and intake along with the motor mounts and accessory drive. header options being minimal.

i could be under thinking this, but the 4L60 is available with either a 5 or 6 bolt T case adapter., the 4L80 only came with the 6 bolt round pattern... clocking aside, you should be able to drop the right input into pretty much any case with a 6 bolt round pattern and bolt it up to either trans, no? the issue becomes where the computer is seeing the second VSS signal. when i had planned to do an eco box/205 behind my 4L80 (different vehicle, not a cherokee) i was simply going to run the second VSS in the trans, making it think it was simply 2wd and avoid the hassle of programming for a 4 speed case. dont need the speed much in L gear.

compressor only sees one power wire, and grounds through the mount/engine block. computer shouldnt care what compressor you are using.

i cant speak for the cherokee specifically in terms of wiring or cooling, my LS swapping has been on other vehicles.

Is there any reason why someone wouldn't run the 4l60e with a np241 case? Just curious. It seems bolt on more or less. I already have a hack n tap for my 231 so I'd likely just use that.

If you are going to drive it like you stated then a full-time tc would be a must!

If you are going to drive it like you stated then a full-time tc would be a must!

I think a transfer case with the full time option sounds extremely useful. I had a 97 xj with the 242 and to be honest I never used the full time option. I just had a locker in the rear and kept it in 2wd unless I was going very slow. That full time option would be nice when the roads go from snowy to slushy to wet and back to snowy on my 20-30ish mile commute. That condition is extremely common in the winter here too.

Back