• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my OBA setup - lots of pics

Char-Broil

NAXJA Forum User
Thought I'd share with the world my OBA setup. Its not too much different than ones I've seen, but I've also done some original things as well (at least I think so....). I know the system is a little bulkier than it needs to be, but I started making this because I thought I could build it almost entirely from parts I had around. My dad gave me an old compressor, so I got the pressure switch, check valve, and a ton of fittings from that. I also had a box of misc air/plumbing fittings sitting on the shelf so I started with that. I probably spent more that I really wanted to, but I'm happy with the system as a whole. i'm running a 4.8 gallon tank I got off ebay. It's from a millitary truck and its a great size (7" diameter, 29" long) with 4 ports on it. I'm going to be building a new bumper around it. I'll probably get a VAIR switch in the future, and maybe change some other stuff around, but I love where the system sits in the engine compartment because it doesnt take up any needed space. I'll be running 4 air horns on a regulated line as well as quick connects front and rear. So here's the pics. I'm not including a parts list because I didn't exactly use the least amount of parts possible and I didn't buy all my parts at the store, so I'm not sure exactly what all I have. I could provide a rough one if anyone wants, but others have done that, so check out some other threads too.
system.jpg
diagram2.jpg
diagram1.jpg
tank1.jpg
tank2.jpg
tube.jpg
oiler.jpg
gauges.jpg

diagram2.jpg
diagram1.jpg
tank1.jpg
tank2.jpg
tube.jpg

Thats a great tie rod there, nice and straight.

Post up again when you've built the bumper for it. What kind of design are you looking for?

thats a ZJ tire rod. if you've ever seen one, they come with the bend in them for some reason. i actually passed up the first one i saw at the junk yard because I didn't know they were supposed to be bent like that. My old tie rod was sleeved and was bent way worse...I'm looking to do something similar to the JCR stage 3, but obviously bigger because it will have to encompas the tank. i'll start a new thread for that.

Cool OBA brother. But do ya think it might be a little dangerous being mounted up there in the front like that? Even if it’s encased in a bumper later on, it might just be a serious missile hazard. Maybe not for you, but I would hate to be on the receiving end of a law suit after that thing blew up and injured someone else.
:explosion :skull2: :bawl:

where would you put it? I am building the bumper out of 3/16" 2x6 rectangular tubing...where would I put it that would be safer? I guess I could put it in the cargo area, but I really didn't want it taking up space back there. Thanks for the warning, i'm definately up for other options.

Hey John,
Looks good, I would just recommend that you use straight barb fittings that have the multiple barbs all the way along where the airline slips on. Then, put 2 clamps on each one. I kept blowing off airlines until I did that. Apparently the barb fittings that just have the single barb on the end do not hold the airline well enough. Looks great otherwise!!

A.

muddygp said:
where would you put it? I am building the bumper out of 3/16" 2x6 rectangular tubing...where would I put it that would be safer? I guess I could put it in the cargo area, but I really didn't want it taking up space back there. Thanks for the warning, i'm definately up for other options.
Like 53guy said, Eric has a good location for his tank: http://www.ericsxj.com/oba/oba61.jpg

Probably be a good idea to keep it empty for on highway use in the location you currently have it in. You may also want to check with your Highway Patrol or State Police commercial officers, and find out if there are any legal issues to be aware of. Having a temporary place for it inside the vehicle may be another option. Maybe a quick disconnect, and tie down strap for it somewhere inside, near the back. :)

Trail-Axe said:
Cool OBA brother. But do ya think it might be a little dangerous being mounted up there in the front like that? Even if it’s encased in a bumper later on, it might just be a serious missile hazard. Maybe not for you, but I would hate to be on the receiving end of a law suit after that thing blew up and injured someone else.
:explosion :skull2: :bawl:
No chance of that happening with 150 psi... worst it would do is startle someone if the air suddenly rushed out.

I am sure your local law enforcement will love you rolling around with what looks like a 'dirty bomb' zip-tied to the front of your heep.
Stand by for the body cavity search.
:laugh2:

Last edited:
skoolie72 said:
I am sure your local law enforcement will love you rolling around with what looks like a 'dirty bomb' zip-tied to the front of your heep.
Stand by for the body cavity search.
:laugh2:

hahaha alright alright...i'm not driving around with it ratchet strapped to the front like that. I just mocked it up that way. I did have to drive to work without a bumper yesterday but no tank jerry-rigged in there like that. I am only running at 125 psi right now and I did a bit of thinking last night about the tank mounted behind the bumper, and I don't see how it could do anything but blow straight down if I did get hit. I'd rather it blow straight onto the ground or up in the air than have it burst in the cargo area and have at the very least a very loud rush of air a few feet behind my ears. I had thought of putting it where erics is, but nomatter what I think if you get hit hard enough, even where his is something could blow off of it, but i think at 125-150 psi nobody's gonna die.
btw andy I am running the multi-barb fittings, but I will double up on the clamps-thanks!

muddygp said:
hahaha alright alright...i'm not driving around with it ratchet strapped to the front like that. I just mocked it up that way. I did have to drive to work without a bumper yesterday but no tank jerry-rigged in there like that. I am only running at 125 psi right now and I did a bit of thinking last night about the tank mounted behind the bumper, and I don't see how it could do anything but blow straight down if I did get hit. I'd rather it blow straight onto the ground or up in the air than have it burst in the cargo area and have at the very least a very loud rush of air a few feet behind my ears. I had thought of putting it where erics is, but nomatter what I think if you get hit hard enough, even where his is something could blow off of it, but i think at 125-150 psi nobody's gonna die.
btw andy I am running the multi-barb fittings, but I will double up on the clamps-thanks!

I cant speak for where you are, but here there are laws limiting what kind of psi you can have in an external airtank that is not protected from collision - its like 80 psi. Its something you should look into.. :)

EricsXJ said:
No chance of that happening with 150 psi... worst it would do is startle someone if the air suddenly rushed out.

That’s a good point Eric, I was thinking HP air cylinder like a scuba jug or something. 150 psi of compressed air in that cylinder will probably not blow up. I use to do a lot of diving, and my brain was thinking on a different level. My bad.

Last edited:
muddygp said:

Quoted and edited because you can't find your damn enter key.

I find you lack of interweb skills disturbing-
darth_vader_3.jpg

Back