NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 9th, 2019, 07:00
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Project: Keeping It Clean

So, some less...interesting things...

Sam (zlsuter) helped me charge my A/C system.

He's got a proper vacuum pump and a/c manifold gauge set so we could do it right.

Got it all charged up, and still blowing heat...awesome.

Closed my heater core on/off ball valve...starts blowing cool. So note, I've got a blend door issue to figure out (likely a vacuum issue since I verified mechanics when it was all apart).

From there....we did notice my electric fan wasn't kicking on (not great for A/C). Fan is brand new, so no worries about it being dead.

Did troubleshooting (swapped relays, busted out the multi-meter, etc.) and finally just jumpered it to test A/C temp.

Fan is on, A/C working good...sweet.

So the next day, I looked into the e-fan issue more, and realized the PCM wasn't grounding out the fan for some reason. Figured I would just put in a bypass switch at some point, and call it good for a while (not optimal choice as I like things working how they should, but there's only so much time in the day).

Well, I went home for lunch, enjoying my A/C. Upon heading back to work, I get in the vehicle and BOOM-HISSSSSS. Crap...what was that.

Thinking maybe the Spectra radiator gave out, I get out and walk around to the front...no fluid going everywhere, no coolant smell.

So I pop the hood...yum:

At the time, I figured it was a questionable schrader valve we identified.

So, pulled it around to the side, and got it all washed off.

Fast forward to this weekend and I take a further look, so I can get it recharged again since Sam was kind enough to lend me his A/C stuff.

Pulled vacuum...not getting down to the ~27"Hg it should be...crap.

Upon a quick look around and listening for it...found the accumulator connection had popped off (retaining clip removed prior to picture):

Upon even further inspection, I realize I bolted the accumulator in before having the connections pressed in, and thus is was naturally wanting to pull outward. So, I loosed up the accumulator mount, stabbed the fitting back in, threw the clip on, and bolted the accumulator back down.

Vacuum pulled great again, and got the system charged.

A/C is blowing pretty nice and cold...but that dang e-fan needs to be on.

After texting back and forth with Sam, I decided to swap in my spare PCM juuuuust in case. Mind you, I'm not running a 2001 PCM, but a federal 2000 PCM...for reasons

Before anyone asks, I did a wiring and pinout verification...99-01...no difference. Therefore the PCM ground location wasn't different, and the year change should have no effect.

Got the new PCM thrown in and VIOLA!...e-fan works!

Feels so much better having a system working as it should.

The engine temp rarely got above 210 without it, with it it sits between 180? (tick mark prior to 210) and 210...good to go.
Old July 9th, 2019, 07:09
NAXJA Forum User

So, COFest is coming up, and I've still been cranking on the buggy as possible (in a addition to some house stuff).

Going to try and switch between now that the buggy should be a roller again this evening.

Things to knock out:

- Front Dirtbound DIY bumper - Sitting in it's box, just need to get it on and going

- Rear Dirtbound DIY bumper - All formed and tacked up. However, since I'm anal retentive I want the body lines and the bumper to match up pretty well perfect. The bumper pushed as high at the brackets will allow, still need to come up 3/8" to get the lines even. So, I need to get some of the same bumper brackets drawn up with the holes a little higher and have Sam CNC them out for me real quick.

- Rock slider - I've had a set of Offroad Armor rock rails sitting around for several years now I won at a COFest raffle. I want to get this mounted, but need to get the new side plates for the BDS crossmember made up first.

The above are mainly to have recovery points and keep my rockers straight. All of the above is only a weekends worth of works...but there's only a couple of those left between now and then.

Otherwise there are some things to address here and there with the rig:

- Mount up a new vacuum ball (sitting in a box from Amazon)
- Install a new driver's side window switch (sitting in a box from Amazon)
- Redo headliner (sagging in a couple areas, not a high priority)
- Get rear window wiper working (I can hear it wanting to work, but there is no movement)
- New windshield at some point (current one was bad from the get go)

This winter, once other projects subside (e.g. buggy and house stuff), I'll pick up on the next build state and start building the axles sitting out back.
Old July 12th, 2019, 14:31
NAXJA Member

Are you satisfied with the DirtBound bumper? It's looking similar to the JCR version and I'm not quite sold on them given they seem to be just a shell like the stock with little internal bracing (fixed easily enough). Also the little top square filler pieces under the light are not boxed in on any of these? I'm still debating between both versions and maybe even going with the tire carrier to haul extra fuel or whatever (but not a spare tire).
Old July 12th, 2019, 14:41
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
Case 2.
....washer rant.....

Most vendors supply hardware with the corresponding sizes. 110% nothing against them, it makes life easy. Me however...nope...I like a close tolerance fit.
Thought I was the only one, spend more time looking for correct fit washers than time spent on the rest of the project.
Old July 12th, 2019, 22:23
NAXJA Forum User

What days you doing cofest. I only really care about holy cross as I’ve never run it.
Old July 15th, 2019, 07:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Are you satisfied with the DirtBound bumper? It's looking similar to the JCR version and I'm not quite sold on them given they seem to be just a shell like the stock with little internal bracing (fixed easily enough). Also the little top square filler pieces under the light are not boxed in on any of these? I'm still debating between both versions and maybe even going with the tire carrier to haul extra fuel or whatever (but not a spare tire).
Overall I'm happy. I'm a perfectionist (to a point of it being a negative at times), so there were some things for me to fix/address.

I'm currently working on getting the bumpers welded up...as I didn't get as far as I wanted this weekend (wasn't pushing super hard).

I think you'll find most all aftermarket bumpers are a shell with internal bracing. Adding more bracing could be done (I will have a little), but at 3/16", if it comes to hitting something hard enough to need additional internal bracing, you'll likely have larger worried with the rig itself.

The square pieces under the rear tail lights aren't 100% boxed, but IMO don't really need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Thought I was the only one, spend more time looking for correct fit washers than time spent on the rest of the project.
Yeah, I frequent my local Ace...a bit.

I've come to buy 25% to double what I need when going, and shorter/longer in the bolt size I think I need since I've needed a different length than thought originally. As such I've come to start to amass a bit of a hardware collection. The thicker and hardened washers have become almost a new go-to for me, since they're stronger material and don't deflect when truly torquing the fastener down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4aride View Post
What days you doing cofest. I only really care about holy cross as Iíve never run it.
Leaving Wednesday night, coming back Sunday. I'll text ya thoughts on trails (posted somewhere in the CO forum).
Old July 15th, 2019, 11:57
NAXJA Member

I love ace, but if I'm buying a bunch of bolts anymore boltdepot.com has become my friend.
Old July 16th, 2019, 08:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
I love ace, but if I'm buying a bunch of bolts anymore boltdepot.com has become my friend.
Ordered quite a bit from them, but only when I know I need quite a bit.

Otherwise it's much more practical to go to Ace and grab the few I need.
Old July 17th, 2019, 14:27
NAXJA Member

CAT dealer is my bolt store of choice. Has a huge selection and if they don't have it they ship it in next day, no charge.
Old July 17th, 2019, 19:48
NAXJA Member

Albany county fasteners is my go to for nuts and bolts — they have a ton of stuff and are local to me so I can buy online, wait about 30 minutes and call them, then go pick up — 20 minutes from my house to their door