NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 4th, 2004, 11:03
NAXJA Forum User

hp dana 44/standard dana 44 and deep gears for 37's???

I'm getting a hp 44 to replace the hp 30 in my 91' xj with 8" lift and 35's. The axle I'm getting is the rare 78' f-150 camper with leafs so I want to conv to leafs up front as well and keep things simple. I will need to gear this thing and my rear xj dana 44 that currently has 4.56 and a full detroit. I plan to run 37" mtrs on some beadlocks rims. I have this setup on my CJ7 buggy I'm trying to sell, but want it on my xj. What gears would you guys recogmend for 37's? I could keep 35's, but since I have to gear the hp anyways I want to go nice and deep with them. How much strength am I giving up by going with 5.13 or 5.23 5.38 or so? I don't think I'll like the 4.56 gears with 37's, with 35's I wish I had 4.88 or 5.13's. This hp has a lock rite in it, but I think I will get a spool for it for simplicty and since I have lock out hubs, I shouldn't feel it in 2wd right?
Troy
Old December 4th, 2004, 11:48
NAXJA Forum User

Re: hp dana 44/standard dana 44 and deep gears for 37's???

Go 5:38s. Dont look back. I dont know about spoolin it, but i would do that over a lock right. It will just be a pain to always have to lock and unlock a hub.

Matt
Old December 4th, 2004, 12:19
NAXJA Forum User

agreed on the 5.38's , im eventually thinking d60's and 5.86's for 39's some day but then again, thats someday
Old December 4th, 2004, 12:35
NAXJA Forum User

No experience with 5.38s but I reccomend them. It is what I want to run if i go 37s maybe even 35s. I loved running 4.56s with 31s so this would be close.-----Kyle
Old December 4th, 2004, 13:31
NAXJA Forum User

5.38s, leave the lockright.

you have an ARB front now, try locking it and running a whole trail. no fun. one time last summer on the Rubicon I was getting seriously ****ed off at my steering, I thought my pump had completely died. Turns out I had just left the ARB locked.
Old December 4th, 2004, 14:39
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red
I'm getting a hp 44 to replace the hp 30 in my 91' xj with 8" lift and 35's. The axle I'm getting is the rare 78' f-150 camper with leafs so I want to conv to leafs up front as well and keep things simple. I will need to gear this thing and my rear xj dana 44 that currently has 4.56 and a full detroit. I plan to run 37" mtrs on some beadlocks rims. I have this setup on my CJ7 buggy I'm trying to sell, but want it on my xj. What gears would you guys recogmend for 37's? I could keep 35's, but since I have to gear the hp anyways I want to go nice and deep with them. How much strength am I giving up by going with 5.13 or 5.23 5.38 or so? I don't think I'll like the 4.56 gears with 37's, with 35's I wish I had 4.88 or 5.13's. This hp has a lock rite in it, but I think I will get a spool for it for simplicty and since I have lock out hubs, I shouldn't feel it in 2wd right?
Troy

Spool in the front.......37's, I assume on Spicer axles........who you gonna wheel with?

Inchitis.........oh so prevalent.

Spoken facitiously......."I'm getting strong enough axles to handle the tires I'm running now.....so I think I'll go ahead and get bigger tires"

D44.....front leaf springs......37's........one step forward, two steps back....not even mentioning the spool.

Mike, relax, take it easy, this is not a competition......this is for fun, and fun means increasing capability AND reliability. Your plan comes close to doing neither.
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old December 4th, 2004, 15:17
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatman
Mike, relax, take it easy, this is not a competition......this is for fun, and fun means increasing capability AND reliability. Your plan comes close to doing neither.

Who's Mike?
Old December 4th, 2004, 15:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Spool in the front.......37's, I assume on Spicer axles........who you gonna wheel with?

Inchitis.........oh so prevalent.

Spoken facitiously......."I'm getting strong enough axles to handle the tires I'm running now.....so I think I'll go ahead and get bigger tires"

D44.....front leaf springs......37's........one step forward, two steps back....not even mentioning the spool.

Goatman has some great points. When I had my D44 and Toyota 8" swapped I started shopping for tires. The inchitis kept telling me to get 37s, afterall the rear would be fine and I would probably only break front shafts occasionally. But be honest with yourself here, 37s alone are only going to make you about 5% more capable on the trail than 35s. Spending time actually wheelin instead of constantly switching drivetrain or repairing parts will make you 50% more capable on the trail. I'd much rather have my truck on 35s and not be afraid of breaking, it makes wheeling so much more relaxing and enjoyable.

stay smaller, learn to drive. look at Jes, how many years did he spend doing Rubicon, Fordyce, JV on 33s?
Old December 4th, 2004, 16:50
NAXJA Forum User

5.13's minimum.
Old December 4th, 2004, 22:09
NAXJA Forum User

I'm running 36"s with 4.56 and an auto. Still too tall so I've ordered a 4.3 Atlas. If you are not going to change the tcase ratio then you are going to need much deeper gears than 4.56. it'll work but not nearly as well as it should.
Old December 4th, 2004, 23:08
NAXJA Forum User

Also just like above, Im running 36" Iroks with 4.88"s snd need more. An Atlas would be GREAT! Go with the 5.13's and stay with the 35"s
Old December 5th, 2004, 00:15
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD
Who's Mike?

Oops! Meant Troy......

Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old December 5th, 2004, 01:05
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks you guys. I have the 37's on the beadlock rims on my CJ right now that is for sale. I would keep my 35's if I didn't have these. I know I've been talking about swapping in a new drivetrain, but after this 1 I'll be done. I promise. I really like my arb in my 30, but like Brett and other have been saying, the 30 doesn't have lock out hubs, weird unit bearing non serviceable hubs, bad brake options, no super good high steer options, weak flexy housing etc etc. I got the ford 9" with a detroit and 3.50 gears, a pair of spare shafts both sides, hp 44 with a lock rite 3.50 gears on flat arms, all steering both driveshafts, a set of chrome 5 on 5.5 rims for $800. The lockers alone in these axle are close to that price new.

Will the hp 44 be able to live with 5.38 gears and 37's? I know the ford 9" will, it has such a strong r&p.
Troy
Old December 5th, 2004, 01:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettM
5.38s, leave the lockright.

you have an ARB front now, try locking it and running a whole trail. no fun. one time last summer on the Rubicon I was getting seriously ****ed off at my steering, I thought my pump had completely died. Turns out I had just left the ARB locked.
Do you think the lock rite will hold up to 35-37's with 5.38 gears? What is the ford 9" gear ratio to match that? I know they have different gear #'s than dana axles. I know I hate steering with my arb on. I wonder how much hydro steering would help. I might just stay with my 35's. My goal is to have a more reliable rig, eventhough I have never broken a u-joint, axle shaft, or ds yet. I have blown a motor and a tranny in water though. Water is very dangerous. The 1st river crossing on Fordyce really freaks me out. I know that a dana 44 or ford 9" don't hang down extremely low and that 35's would probably be good and make them almost bullet proof. The 37's would look so good and I have then so I'll have to see.
Troy

Last edited by Big Red; December 5th, 2004 at 01:14.
Old December 5th, 2004, 01:11
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Oops! Meant Troy......

Michael actually is my middle name, how'd you know Richard???