• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hp dana 44/standard dana 44 and deep gears for 37's???

Dan Turner said:
I bought the complete 3rd member from Dutchman, which came in a Randy's Ring and Pinion box. I just had the complete unit sent because I was too lazy to source out all the parts for the 35 spline stuff. Even came with a "pretty" purple pinion support.

Dan

What did you buy in the 3rd member? 5.43 gears with a 35 spline detroit? Since I have the detroit in there already. I think I will get alloy 31 spline shafts and still keep my stock shafts and the ones in there now as spares. I could also sell my 3rd member with the detroit and 3.50 gears and then start fresh when I regear and get the 35 spline detroit and 35 spline alloy shafts. How much was your 3rd member set up and where did you get it? With a ford 9", do you just bolt it in when you get the 3rd member and then slip in your axle shafts? That makes the ford 9" so awesome and the Toy 8" an attractive option as well with that removeable 3rd member.
Troy

With the 35 spline axles, you need to get a different 3rd member with bigger carrier bearing journals.With this Strange 3rd member, you have to use a Daytona style pinion support. With 5.38s, spool, set up and shipping, it ran around $1200.00. I got this through Dutchman Motorsports, but the 3rd member actually came from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I probably could have put together myself for less money, but I've been so busy, the cost difference wasn't worth it to me....not to mention I wasn't paying for it.

Dan

Dan Turner said:
With the 35 spline axles, you need to get a different 3rd member with bigger carrier bearing journals.With this Strange 3rd member, you have to use a Daytona style pinion support. With 5.38s, spool, set up and shipping, it ran around $1200.00. I got this through Dutchman Motorsports, but the 3rd member actually came from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I probably could have put together myself for less money, but I've been so busy, the cost difference wasn't worth it to me....not to mention I wasn't paying for it.

Dan

Wow, that's a nice setup, but a little to rich for my blood. I'm going to keep the 31 spline shafts and the detroit in mine and regear. So you can get 5.38 gears for the ford 9"??? On Randy's website I see 5.43's. Are 5.38's harder to find and more expensive? I would prefer them to match the front hp 44 perfectly, but 5.43s will work too.
Troy

Big Red said:
Wow, that's a nice setup, but a little to rich for my blood. I'm going to keep the 31 spline shafts and the detroit in mine and regear. So you can get 5.38 gears for the ford 9"??? On Randy's website I see 5.43's. Are 5.38's harder to find and more expensive? I would prefer them to match the front hp 44 perfectly, but 5.43s will work too.
Troy
Just double checked my invoice, definitely says 5.38 ratio.

Call Randy's or dutchman www.dutchmanaxles.com www.ringpinion.com

Dan Turner said:
Just double checked my invoice, definitely says 5.38 ratio.

Call Randy's or dutchman www.dutchmanaxles.com www.ringpinion.com

Thanks Dan. I'll do some research. I know there is alot of axle info on Pirate4x4.com The ford 9" is a great axle to work with, its only downfall is its low pinion. If you do a search on ebay you get like 10 pages of ford 9" stuff. I've seen gears really cheap from people racing their vehicles and only having 1 or 2 passes on a set of gears.
Troy

Back