NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 28th, 2007, 19:17
NAXJA Forum User

8.8 swap info please

ok guys ive looked at other posts. this is what i have , 88 xj with a dana 35 RE 5.5 lift and slipyok eleminator with a tom woods driveshaft. i was lookin into swapping to either a 8.25 or a ford explorer 8.8. i know from reading that the 8.8 is alot stronger than the 8.25, i know ill have to strip the8.8 and weld on new mounts, im fine with that. being that the explore housing is bigger with have any issues with my driveshaft length. i know ill need a driveshaft adaptor too right.
Old February 28th, 2007, 19:35
NAXJA Member

Re: 8.8 swap info please

I just bought an 8.8 for mine, haven't put it in yet, but I decided now is the time for an SYE as well. an XJ front driveshaft will be more than long enough with the 8.8.
Old February 28th, 2007, 20:04
NAXJA Forum User

yeah but will the my tom woods driveshaft be a problem. i may just get the 8.25 and put some axles in it for strentgh
Old February 28th, 2007, 20:16
NAXJA Forum User

Depends on the length of the shaft. I was able to reuse mine TW shaft when I went from a turdy-five to a 44. Just measure the length of the pinion on the 8.8 and compare it to the length on the 35.

The other thing to watch out for is size of the u-joint. I had to get a combo u-joint because my 35 had the larger size. Don't remember the numbers, but it was sort of a pain trying to find one in town.
Old February 28th, 2007, 20:42
NAXJA Member

[quote=sandyeggoxj] Just measure the length of the pinion on the 8.8 and compare it to the length on the 35.quote]

You forgot to metion that the axle is also offset to the pasenger side by 2 3/16 from center compared to the 3/4 offset of the d35, that will affect the overall length by quite a bit.
Old February 28th, 2007, 21:28
NAXJA Forum User

what length is you TW driveshaft, i have an 8.8 with a sye and 6.5" lift and a front driveshaft just works. It is 34" ujoint to ujoint.
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:21
NAXJA Forum User

the length of the sye matters also... i have the tera extreme short shaft and my ds is over 3 inches longer. bad choice on my part to go with that kit, but that is a different story. The main thing is to just measure the length and then get a ds, or find someone running the same setup and see how long their ds is u-joint to u-joint.
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:25
NAXJA Forum User

Im sitting at 7.5" and my Woody shaft works fine, after we swapped the 8.8 in.
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:37
NAXJA Forum User

not exactly a bad idea to go with the shorty sye, its actually a good idea because it helps your driveline angle a nice bit, the down side is a longer shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyeggoxj
the length of the sye matters also... i have the tera extreme short shaft and my ds is over 3 inches longer. bad choice on my part to go with that kit, but that is a different story. The main thing is to just measure the length and then get a ds, or find someone running the same setup and see how long their ds is u-joint to u-joint.
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazjig
not exactly a bad idea to go with the shorty sye, its actually a good idea because it helps your driveline angle a nice bit, the down side is a longer shaft.
The bummer is that I now have an electronic tone ring style speedo sensor. So to calibrate I need buy a conversion box, not just a $10 gear...
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:15
NAXJA Forum User

haha, ya i guess that would definately be a downside. Just do what i do, roll with no speedo, god darn cable.
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:29
NAXJA Forum User

Im just adding 10% or so right now. I always get a little nervous when a cop follows me, but hey, who cares. A $100 ticket is cheaper than a $200 box...