• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VHF/HAM radio question

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Does anyone know how to find the extended TX mod for the new Yeasu FT2900 radio?

Last year a bunch of us got the FT2800 radios and did the mod, and I can find how to do that one. However, my radio went bad and so I replaced it with the newer FT2900 assuming the mod would be the same, but it's not. Now I have the new radio but can't find how to mod it so I can use it.

TIA if anyone knows how to find it, and hopefully it's not too new and no one knows yet. Then I'm screwed.

Ahhh......finally found it.

most of the yaesu's involve removing a solder jumper to mod. Glad you found it though.

Looks like only one guy has done it so far, so it was hard to find. The solder jumper needs to be removed, and then power up the radio while holding down certain keys. But, the jumper is a very tiny one behind the face plate rather than on the inside of the radio.

Looks like only one guy has done it so far, so it was hard to find. The solder jumper needs to be removed, and then power up the radio while holding down certain keys. But, the jumper is a very tiny one behind the face plate rather than on the inside of the radio.

yep, similar to the FT1800s where you only remove the faceplate

This should do it !!!!!

Take the front off of the ft-2900 and look in the inside of the front cover for the 3 pads (they are much smaller than on previous model radios from yaesu) but they are there. 2 of them are not soldered and 1 is. Desolder the pad that is and put the radio back together then press and hold the rev-low-d/mr buttons in and turn on power and then you should have the extended transmit and receive that you are wanting.

4435_ft-2900_mod.jpg

I don't have this radio or anything but I'm curious, what is this mod? Do they detune the radio from the factory? I'm just getting into this stuff so I'm ignorant as hell.

This mod increases the TX (transmit) frequencies of the radio outside the designed 144-148 mhz.

Ahh okay.

I'm thinking of getting a handheld wide band receive radio one day, guess I'll be able to do something like this tehre too, eh?

Right now I've just got the old KDK FM-240 Josh gave me, seems to work but I'm not legally allowed to test it's transmitting :p

Larson makes the best mobile VHF antennas IMO.

The modification allows you to transmit a ham radio outside the ham radio band, thus avoiding having a mob of us attack you with pitchforks and nooses :D

Larson makes the best mobile VHF antennas IMO.

The modification allows you to transmit a ham radio outside the ham radio band, thus avoiding having a mob of us attack you with pitchforks and nooses :D
Business band right? Do you need a different license to TX on there?

http://www.larsen-antennas.com/docfiles/ASB10/Mobile136to174MHz.pdf

I suggest Larsen NMO150BK antenna and mounting kit, assuming you want to drill a hole in your roof for an NMO connector. If you want some other mount, fine, but definately look for a 5/8th wavelength style; much more gain than a 1/4 wave, still a reasonable length.

Their whips are super rugged, copper clad spring steel. You can whang them off tree branches all day.

I've been using Larsen 5/8 VHF/UHF whips for about 8 years. I even ran over one once and wrapped the coax around my axle. New coax and it still worked fine.

Business band right? Do you need a different license to TX on there?

There are many bands immediately outside the 144-148mhz ham band. You need an appropriate license to legally transmit on any of them.

In fact you need an appropriate license to transmit on ANY BAND except CB and the "family band". Most transmitters, like your wireless ethernet for example, are covered under "part 15" which means the power is so low the FCC doesn't really consider them to be transmitters. Also your cell provider has a license so you don't need one for your phone.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting a handheld wide band receive radio one day, guess I'll be able to do something like this tehre too, eh?

You mean like a scanner? The only band they usually block out is the cell phone band, which is pointless anyway now that analog cell phones have gone the way of the dinosaurs. So no mods necessary. For enough coin you can get one that will tune the electromagnetic spectrum practically from DC to daylight.

You mean like a scanner? The only band they usually block out is the cell phone band, which is pointless anyway now that analog cell phones have gone the way of the dinosaurs. So no mods necessary. For enough coin you can get one that will tune the electromagnetic spectrum practically from DC to daylight.

Nah, I've ahd my eyes on the Yaesu FT-60R. 5W 2m/70cm rig that will receive from 108 - 520 MHz and 700 - 999 MHz.

That radio will not transmit outside the ham band unless modified.

Scanners are nice if the folks you are trying to listen to use a trunking system.

Some of the higher end receivers from amateur companies (Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood) will receive HF (shortwave) as well as VHF/UHF and support AM, FM, & SSB modulation.

http://www.larsen-antennas.com/docfiles/ASB10/Mobile136to174MHz.pdf

I suggest Larsen NMO150BK antenna and mounting kit, assuming you want to drill a hole in your roof for an NMO connector. If you want some other mount, fine, but definately look for a 5/8th wavelength style; much more gain than a 1/4 wave, still a reasonable length.

Their whips are super rugged, copper clad spring steel. You can whang them off tree branches all day.

I've been using Larsen 5/8 VHF/UHF whips for about 8 years. I even ran over one once and wrapped the coax around my axle. New coax and it still worked fine.

I might have to go with the mag base cause I'm not sure I want to drill that big hole in the roof.

Back