NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 11th, 2004, 19:09
NAXJA Forum User

Going full hydro steering

well I have finally gotten into this project, I now have the ram fully mounted and am gonna remove the AGR power steering box and pump tomorrow and rplace it with a non resevoir pump, I plan to run an external resevoir/filter and a Dan Foss load reactive orbital valve that I purchased from Station over on the pirate bbs. I have Vintagespeed picking up all the fittings and hoses for me since this is the exact same system he just installed and he has the exact list of fitings I will need
Old April 11th, 2004, 19:14
Member #Nay

Re: Going full hydro steering

did you get your orbital valve yet?

station is the kind of guy you need to stay on his ass.
Old April 11th, 2004, 19:43
NAXJA Forum User

Yup I have everything but the hoses and fitings and those will be here very soon
Old April 11th, 2004, 19:45
NAXJA Forum User

That'll never work.

-jb
Old April 11th, 2004, 19:53
Member #Nay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed
That'll never work.

-jb
yeah, he's pretty much screwed.
Old April 11th, 2004, 22:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsizexj
well I have finally gotten into this project, I now have the ram fully mounted and am gonna remove the AGR power steering box and pump tomorrow and rplace it with a non resevoir pump, I plan to run an external resevoir/filter and a Dan Foss load reactive orbital valve that I purchased from Station over on the pirate bbs. I have Vintagespeed picking up all the fittings and hoses for me since this is the exact same system he just installed and he has the exact list of fitings I will need

How much is the whole thing costing ya?
Billy
Old April 12th, 2004, 04:28
NAXJA Member

And you thought it was a trailer queen before...

hinkley
Old April 12th, 2004, 12:11
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsizexj
Yup I have everything but the hoses and fitings and those will be here very soon
Are you using a forklift style orb with out feedback?
Old April 12th, 2004, 12:20
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak21
How much is the whole thing costing ya?
Billy
someone just had a different full hydro post (vintagespeed?) in the last week or so and they outlined some of the major costs. if i recall; $475 for orbital, $60 for single ended ram, probably about $100 for lines and fittings, factor in some money for an extra resevoir and/or cooler. when i was considering full hydro, i figured i would need to budget about $800. i decide against it, but looking back, going crossover steering and hydro-assist will probably run me up around $600 anyway... hmm
Old April 12th, 2004, 15:52
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmanjeepxj
Are you using a forklift style orb with out feedback?
Nope, it is load reactive same as Vintagespeed is using
Old April 12th, 2004, 18:43
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad maXJ
someone just had a different full hydro post (vintagespeed?) in the last week or so and they outlined some of the major costs. if i recall; $475 for orbital, $60 for single ended ram, probably about $100 for lines and fittings, factor in some money for an extra resevoir and/or cooler. when i was considering full hydro, i figured i would need to budget about $800. i decide against it, but looking back, going crossover steering and hydro-assist will probably run me up around $600 anyway... hmm
The $475 is including the reservoir/filter/cooler unit.

In all, the crossover + hydro assist will probably cost you the same or more: steering arms $140 +++, DOM tubing $80 +++, Heims $240, AGR box $350, good ram $60 +++, fittings/hose $100 +++, spares $???

Another thing to consider with ram assist is that the ram has to follow perfectly with the steering box, if the steering box stops & the ram doesn't (or vice versa) something's gonna snap. This is why you see guys bitching about busting steering arms off their junk.......

Also the torque multiplication that goes along with ram assist is scary. The box generates force on the steering arm, the ram generates force on the steering arm, and YOU generate force on the steering arm.......uhhh yeah that's a perfect setup.

Hinky, I know I dont wheel, but if I did I'd let you feel this steering at speed & in the rocks, you might just eat your words.

-jb

Last edited by vintagespeed; April 12th, 2004 at 18:51.
Old April 12th, 2004, 19:07
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed
Hinky, I know I dont wheel, but if I did I'd let you feel this steering at speed & in the rocks, you might just eat your words.

-jb
Keep dreaming in your garage!

Unless you went double it ain't going to drive good on the street and even then you ain't going to get too far.

hinkley
Old April 12th, 2004, 20:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hinkley

Unless you went double it ain't going to drive good on the street and even then you ain't going to get too far.

hinkley

Didn't he just drive back from JV? Is he's in denial? or is he delusional? or are you just giving him sh!t?
Billy
Old April 12th, 2004, 21:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hinkley

hinkley
So far I've put about 300 highway miles on it. 70 on the freeway with no problem. Drove to JV & back with my kids in it, twice to Monrovia for training and twice to work. Gotta love it.

It rides better than it ever did since stock, short arms just plain suck at more than 6" lift.

No strange tendancies, the only thing I'd do different is get a steering valve (incorrectly called an orbital valve) that was fewer turns per second, this slows down the steering response a little bit, it's a bit twitchy at speed, but I dont drive it like it's a Ferrari.

We're doing Shredder in May Hinky, if you're up to it....

-jb
Old April 12th, 2004, 21:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak21
Didn't he just drive back from JV? Is he's in denial? or is he delusional? or are you just giving him sh!t?
Billy
EDIT: I mean Vintage, not FullSize