• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going full hydro steering

WHEEL'er-DLR said:
yee...haw!!! :laugh2: do i see a future competition brewing??? :D maybe this summer on the 'swamp' run we could set up a obstacle course on that run or maybe bald??? plus a-stop watch!! :yelclap: :woohoo: or even a team challenge.... :cheers:

Wheelers vs. Web Wheelers? Is this going to be a typing competition or wheeling competition? ;)

Matt

No matter what, this is boring

ashmanjeepxj said:
I have a question,
With a load reactive Steering valve, If your tire is weged and truned and you stall, does the valve release pressure and spin the steering wheel back to center with the tire still weged and turned?

Nope. It behaves just like the stock steering. The tires and steering wheel remain as is. Return to center is sweet on the street.

-Jon

ashmanjeepxj said:
I have a question,
With a load reactive Steering valve, If your tire is weged and truned and you stall, does the valve release pressure and spin the steering wheel back to center with the tire still weged and turned?

It all depends on the steering valve you're running, with the Danfoss valve from POS it will NOT return to center if you stall, it stays where it's at.

It feels very much like stock steering in all respects.

-jb

Goatman said:
Hey Jim,

It just seemed you and Fullsize had the great threads about your junk, without any of the crap the rest of us get for busting and doing stupid things out on the trail. I just finally felt like pointing that out. :)

I've broken lots of stuff, but not since I've been building. I almost flopped it off the jackstands in the garage, if that counts?

I know it's difficult to resist seeing all that bling & wanting to see it break, it will come, it will come.

I decided when I missed the last JV trip that I'd get it done with no compromises. That takes time, and for me at least, money which also takes time.

The street driving has been mostly just to piss off disco truck drivers everywhere, I'm gonna get a trailer like you & Hinkley. But of course it'll no longer be a REAL XJ. :roflmao:

-jb

Mark Hinkley said:
Atleast if a bead blows I have steering, if a hydro line blows you DON'T!

hinkley

You're right, if one of my high pressure Goodyear lines blows out (no cheap stuff here) then I'd lose my steering. Not good.

I hope all the Jetliners that fly over your house dont blow a hydraulic line, cause they'd crash and those cranes that lift thousands of pounds would kill lots of people if they dropped a beam cause they blew a line......

It's all relative Hinky baby.

-jb

you wanna know what you do with goatman if he gets under your skin?

offer him a ride down an obstacle and roll hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but now that I think back to it, the crazy bastard enjoyed it!

I still can't believe I missed that.

Oh well, falling asleep under a shrub with a nice buzz was probably better anyway. :speepin:

CRASH

Beezil said:
you wanna know what you do with goatman if he gets under your skin?

offer him a ride down an obstacle and roll hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but now that I think back to it, the crazy bastard enjoyed it!

Anybody who takes me seriously is making a grave error...... :yap: :yap:

:jester: :laugh2: :laugh2: :cheers:

Beez, yes I did enjoy it. :D

vintagespeed said:
It all depends on the steering valve you're running, with the Danfoss valve from POS it will NOT return to center if you stall, it stays where it's at.

It feels very much like stock steering in all respects.

-jb

So do all load reactive steering valves keep the steering wheel in its current position and not return to center if the motor stalls?

Im not talking about "tires" return to center like when your driving at speed... the Load reactive valve type should return to center when driving while a non load reactive type like the fork lift valves will not want to naturally return to center?

ashmanjeepxj said:
So do all load reactive steering valves keep the steering wheel in its current position and not return to center if the motor stalls?

Im not talking about "tires" return to center like when your driving at speed... the Load reactive valve type should return to center when driving while a non load reactive type like the fork lift valves will not want to naturally return to center?

I'm not an expert but I think this is true. The reason a load reactive steering valve will return to center & let you feel the road & obstacles is that both circuits to the cylinder are tied together, this is why when you push on one side of the cylinder the other side reacts (ie the steering wheel turns). With the front off the ground (and the column unlocked) I can manually turn the wheels back & forth just like stock steering and the steering wheel follows.

I think the "non-reactive" valve is called a closed center valve, thus not linking the two steering output ports together. This is probably why the steering wheel will slam back to center if it looses pressure, it's just closing both circuits.

-jb

vintagespeed said:
I hope all the Jetliners that fly over your house dont blow a hydraulic line, cause they'd crash and those cranes that lift thousands of pounds would kill lots of people if they dropped a beam cause they blew a line......

It's all relative Hinky baby.

-jb

Yea, I'm sure your years of engineering is equal to those who designed that airplane you say uses it's hydro steering while flying. :confused: ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

:D

hinkley

vintagespeed said:
I've broken lots of stuff, but not since I've been building. I almost flopped it off the jackstands in the garage, if that counts?

I know it's difficult to resist seeing all that bling & wanting to see it break, it will come, it will come.

I decided when I missed the last JV trip that I'd get it done with no compromises. That takes time, and for me at least, money which also takes time.

The street driving has been mostly just to piss off disco truck drivers everywhere, I'm gonna get a trailer like you & Hinkley. But of course it'll no longer be a REAL XJ. :roflmao:

-jb

Totally understand.......but it's still good material. :D

I don't guess you have any pics of it nearly coming off the jack stands? :)

At least we'll still be able to drive our rigs to the trail if we choose.......even if we don't. :viking:

Back