• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going full hydro steering

I pretty much give everyone a hard time, but I've been going really easy on Vintage and Fullsize. But, if you're going to run with the big dogs........ Just so everyone knows, these two guys are local SoCal guys, and I've camped, eaten and wheeled with them both, but fair game is fair game. :D :D

Vintage :geek:, you need to get that big rig of yours out on the trail. You like mentioning Johnson Valley all the time in your posts, but you've only run one trail there one time. You build nice stuff, and you sort of know what your talking about :), but you need some serious seat time. You need to get out of the garage and away from the computer and get out on some trails! C'mon man, let's do some wheelin'.

Fullsize :repair:, you should post about your breaks as quick as you post about your mods, and give us a little background. Almost everytime I've seen you out on the trail, you broke and didn't finish the trail. It's big, and should work well, but where do you go? How about some reliable seat time......then we'll see how good it works and how cool it is. :dunno:

We've given SeanP a bunch of crap for being a big jeep web wheeler, but at least he's been out on the hard trails. He worked on his rig all the time, but at least he was there. :)

:spin3: :spin3:

If you have the correct orbital valve, you can steer without the engine running, just like a stock Jeep without power steering. I just got back from Moab and abused my P.O.S. hydro steering without any problems. Pony up, get quality components and let the 1 finger steering keep you smiling.

-Jon

Goatman said:
I pretty much give everyone a hard time, but I've been going really easy on Vintage and Fullsize. But, if you're going to run with the big dogs........ Just so everyone knows, these two guys are local SoCal guys, and I've camped, eaten and wheeled with them both, but fair game is fair game. :D :D

Vintage :geek:, you need to get that big rig of yours out on the trail. You like mentioning Johnson Valley all the time in your posts, but you've only run one trail there one time. You build nice stuff, and you sort of know what your talking about :), but you need some serious seat time. You need to get out of the garage and away from the computer and get out on some trails! C'mon man, let's do some wheelin'.

Fullsize :repair:, you should post about your breaks as quick as you post about your mods, and give us a little background. Almost everytime I've seen you out on the trail, you broke and didn't finish the trail. It's big, and should work well, but where do you go? How about some reliable seat time......then we'll see how good it works and how cool it is. :dunno:

We've given SeanP a bunch of crap for being a big jeep web wheeler, but at least he's been out on the hard trails. He worked on his rig all the time, but at least he was there. :)

:spin3: :spin3:

Goat,

You forgot to add CRASHitt in here, he needs some sheit to get off his a$$ and stop making kitchens and having tea parties and get out and wheel sometime soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

hinkley

Beezil said:
fawkin spobi.....

I can steer with my orbital with the motor off.....only barkeaters buy shitty orbitals that can't steer dead.

Bark is sooooo good!!!!!!!!!

:d

hinkley

Yup, I break things, but what you don't mention is that now I am breaking new things, which I am addressing as I find them, steering is being done now because I can not get enough articulaion out of standard style steering for the amount of travel the front gets now. You also don't mention that I do not go on the real extreem stuff, think mayby it is because I relize that I am still trying to make sure evrything is reliable first.

Fullsizexj said:
Yup, I break things, but what you don't mention is that now I am breaking new things, which I am addressing as I find them, steering is being done now because I can not get enough articulaion out of standard style steering for the amount of travel the front gets now. You also don't mention that I do not go on the real extreem stuff, think mayby it is because I relize that I am still trying to make sure evrything is reliable first.

Sensitive?

:D

hinkley

Fullsizexj said:
naw not really, just notice how cetain points get left out when someone tries to make a point is all

Hey Rich, you just restated my point. We see the posts and pics about the cool mods, but not about what you broke that makes you want to do it. If you're going to post pics like you're a big dog, let's hear the rest of the story......why, and where you've been. I post pics of my junk, but I also post when I crack my frame, when I bust my steering gear off the frame, etc, etc, and so do others.

We bust peoples chops around here all the time, especially the guys with well built up rigs. I just figured if you're going to be a big dog, it's time to take big dog teasing........it's part of the fun. :D

(Damn, with friends like me, who needs enemies) :wave1:

Beezil posts more pics than anyone, and he takes his share of teasing (all well deserved). Just trying to loosen you up a bit...... :gee:

Mark Hinkley said:
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hinkley

Uh, NO. It actually steers the big tires WAYYY better than stock non-assist with the motor off. I can turn it no problem with the engine off sitting still and moving feels just like stock.

And not being DOT legal isn't ILLEGAL. Quote me the vehicle code that says full hydraulic steering is illegal on California highways & I'll buy you a 12 pack. It aint there cause it's not illegal it's just not DOT approved, like your beadlocks Hinky.

Jeezus, you guys need to get your olds wives tales straight.

And Hinky, next time that big old cement mixer or armored truck is behind you on the freeway you better change lanes..........

Sheesh, I thought you guys actually researched before bashing?

-jb

Goatman said:

Not sure where this one came from Goat. Lots of you "big dogs" inspire the building that I've been doing over the past year & a half, glad to see some of it looks nice to you.

You're right I've not wheeled JV much, but I want to, I doubt there are many that have wheeled it as much as you. I guess if I'd stuck with short arms I'd be wheeling more often, many times I've thought it wasn't worthwhile to do, but we do what we enjoy. Once you cut out your coil pockets you're kind of committed until it's done. :)

Bash all you want, I'll build more. :worship:

-jb

Hey Jim,

It just seemed you and Fullsize had the great threads about your junk, without any of the crap the rest of us get for busting and doing stupid things out on the trail. I just finally felt like pointing that out. :)

We've had pics of SeanP busting a 9", Rick breaking 6 front axles in one trip, me rolling on my head, breaking a steering gear off, and a bunch of other things, CRASH ripping his frame apart, Jes plugging tires, and plugging tires, Mark on his back welding his junk, Grant twisting a driveline in half, Beezil busting D60 axles and rolling repeatedly, FarmerMatt bashing in his side and destrying two front axles within 100 ft, etc, etc, etc. The two of you guys just have cool pics of mods. We want to see you out on the trail where we can really get some dirt on you....... :D

:geek: :repair: :geek: :repair: :rattle:

:gag:

:wave1:

:cheers:

I ain't mad or anything Goatman, I snapped the sector shaft clean off the steering box coming off a ledge. It looked like it was cracked prior to the break because it had rust on part of the break, not sure if I did it or it was that way when I bought it from Keven M. but either way it was gonna happen sooner or later due to the travel I get out of the front so I decided to go full Hydro and be done with it. I am not concerned with street legal anymore because I went ahead and green stickered it.I would love to get out and run some extreem trails with you all but I will not until I am sure every thing is working right and I gather a few more spare parts. Every thing I had for spares before won't work for what I have now. I did do the 35 spline conversion to the rear axle with Superior Evolution series shafts so that is one less worry now but I do still want to pick up a spare for that anyways epecially after seeing Ray break a moser 35 spline recently. Slowly but surely I will get everything together and then it's on.

vintagespeed said:
Uh, NO. It actually steers the big tires WAYYY better than stock non-assist with the motor off. I can turn it no problem with the engine off sitting still and moving feels just like stock.

And not being DOT legal isn't ILLEGAL. Quote me the vehicle code that says full hydraulic steering is illegal on California highways & I'll buy you a 12 pack. It aint there cause it's not illegal it's just not DOT approved, like your beadlocks Hinky.

Jeezus, you guys need to get your olds wives tales straight.

And Hinky, next time that big old cement mixer or armored truck is behind you on the freeway you better change lanes..........

Sheesh, I thought you guys actually researched before bashing?

-jb

I'm not driving the streets with full single sided hydro steering, so why would I look it up, why don't you. This debate hasn't happen like the beadlock thing. Atleast if a bead blows I have steering, if a hydro line blows you DON'T!

I have never seen a full hydro system on a production vehicle, I'll have to check your two example out.

Anyhow, you are there in your garage so bashing is open season, didn't you know that! :D

Like Goat said... Just your turn to get some sheit! :D

hinkley

Hinkley, your an ass.

CRASH

yee...haw!!! :laugh2: do i see a future competition brewing??? :D maybe this summer on the 'swamp' run we could set up a obstacle course on that run or maybe bald??? plus a-stop watch!! :yelclap: :woohoo: or even a team challenge.... :cheers:

WHEEL'er-DLR said:
yee...haw!!! :laugh2: do i see a future competition brewing??? :D maybe this summer on the 'swamp' run we could set up a obstacle course on that run or maybe bald??? plus a-stop watch!! :yelclap: :woohoo: or even a team challenge.... :cheers:

First you'll need to get them all out of their garages!

Possibly an impossible task!

:D

hinkley

Fullsizexj said:
I did do the 35 spline conversion to the rear axle with Superior Evolution series shafts so that is one less worry now but I do still want to pick up a spare for that anyways epecially after seeing Ray break a moser 35 spline recently. Slowly but surely I will get everything together and then it's on.

Didn't you pick up a Dana 80 to swap in? Did you decide against it?
Billy

Re: Going full hydro steerømg

ye`h, h%did hafm an 80pmut sold it, could not resist the offer, plus it was way easier and cheaper to tm the 6`% dhd nnw h`ve dk start@mll over with tøat

Back