• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

John D Super Slo-Mo Rebuild

John I may have missed it, but do you have a cage build thread? We are planning to do a hybrid cage in the next year or so and I plan to keep the rear seat if possible. I like how you did the c-pillar best of all the cages I've looked at. I'm curious to see the rest of your mounting solutions for the rest of the cage.

Can I see where the B and D pillars mount to the floor and how you tied them into the unirails? Also, do your a pillars extend up under the fenders to your front bumper?

Really like how close you kept it to the body. Was it a PITA to get the interior roof plates in under the headliner?

Last edited:
Can I see where the B and D pillars mount to the floor and how you tied them into the unirails? Also, do your a pillars extend up under the fenders to your front bumper?

Really like how close you kept it to the body. Was it a PITA to get the interior roof plates in under the headliner?

Thanks, I think the key to a good looking exo is keeping it close to the body. I had the headliner out for the cage build so there was no issue with getting the roof plates in. As far as B and D mounts, it's nothing spectacular. I have a piece of 1/4" about 6x6 that I welded to the floor. The D lands on the shackle box so it would be difficult to tie into the frame there. I am still thinking of a good way to tie the B back into the frame. I will probably come across from my rockers (3x4x1/4) to the frame and build off the that. The tube does not extend from the A pillar to the front, yet...

Washed it up to make it pretty again and took it out for the first time since fall of 2012. It was a little rough at first but quickly smoothed out and was running great. Man I miss driving this thing. Then I was turning onto a street 2 miles from home and it died. I did a little troubleshooting there and found a couple fuses blown. It seems I am not getting the ground from my PCM to my fuel pump and fan relays. I towed it home and will work on it tomorrow. It's my birthday so it's time to eat and drink
:cheers:

Bad fuel pump = suck. This pump has less than 15 miles and no more than an hour of run time. I put the stock pump back in and it runs fine again. This is the second 255 LPH pump that has failed in a short amount of time. One was a Walbro and the other I can't remember. What could be causing this? Bad luck or some other issue with my setup? On a good note having the tank in the cargo area with an access panel on top is a dream. It took me longer to get those PITA push-lock fuel line connectors off the Corvette filter/regulator than it did to change the pump, LOL.

On a good-good note, I had the best birthday I have had in a long time. Worked on the Jeep for a while, had some friends over, ate a 2' thick medium ribeye, lots of drinks and cake.

I know some people who have had bad luck with cheaper aftermarket pumps. Nate put 2 summit pumps in the ugly truck before they sent him an aeromotive to replace them. I would've thought the walbro pump would be better than the other aftermarket crap.

do you have a return style pressure regulator or just a dead head style pressure regulator? holding back pressure with no return can cause pumps to die quick, because they are working harder.

just an idea

do you have a return style pressure regulator or just a dead head style pressure regulator? holding back pressure with no return can cause pumps to die quick, because they are working harder.

just an idea

This. First thing I thought of

I know some people who have had bad luck with cheaper aftermarket pumps. Nate put 2 summit pumps in the ugly truck before they sent him an aeromotive to replace them. I would've thought the walbro pump would be better than the other aftermarket crap.

Yeah, I'm not too happy either. Sadly the pump was bought a couple years ago so it's way past warranty. The friggin stock Jeep pump continues to run fine, I just can't imagine it is giving me all the fuel I can use at 6k RPMs.

just an idea

I use a Corvette filter/regulator that has the return built in. I also have the Novak piece that replaces the stock Jeep regulator on the fuel sending unit. There is no restriction at all on the fuel system.

are the aftermarket pumps running more flow/pressure? if so can the stock corvette filter/regulator handle the extra without causing restriction in the feed? Did you increase line diameter with the upgrades, LSX from the stock jeep lines?

just thinking out loud

Pm team willys for lsx info, nobody knows more about those motors than he does. Hes not on a lot but he is go to for reliable ls knowledge

are the aftermarket pumps running more flow/pressure? if so can the stock corvette filter/regulator handle the extra without causing restriction in the feed? Did you increase line diameter with the upgrades, LSX from the stock jeep lines?

just thinking out loud

The setup is just like this (pic below) and then I run -6 AN (3/8") up to the intake from the filter/regulator.

Pm team willys for lsx info, nobody knows more about those motors than he does. Hes not on a lot but he is go to for reliable ls knowledge

I already ordered a TRE Performance pump, if I have any issues with this one I will give him a shout. I also talked to Novak and they said they have never had anyone report this with my setup. Maybe it was just bad luck.

Last edited:
Back