• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado trip in the making.

I'm afraid snow is going to be an issue.

If you guys got as much as we have this year I'm worried a lot of the high passes won't be open by the end of July.

You will have plenty to do. I have gone up there for long weekends every summer for the past four years have not run out of things to do yet.

As for the snow: Most of the passes are plowed by the county so they should be open. You are going at the perfect time. The wildflowers will be in full swing!

Glen

Yankee Boy Basin should be REAL pretty around that time. ;)

Iam gonna TRY to get up there this year around that time also.
Did not get to go last year, 1st year I have missed in the last 4 years...
I NEED MY COLORADO FIX !!!!!!!!!!

Looks like fer sher we will be camping in the Silverton area.

Were you guys happy with the campground you used for CoFest last year?
Seems like I remember hearing some grumbling about it.

Also, I need a really good map, or set of maps of that area. Anybody have a favorite? I picked up a Chuck Wells book but would like to look at a bigger picture of the area. Thanks.

DrMoab said:
Looks like fer sher we will be camping in the Silverton area.

Were you guys happy with the campground you used for CoFest last year?
Seems like I remember hearing some grumbling about it.

Also, I need a really good map, or set of maps of that area. Anybody have a favorite? I picked up a Chuck Wells book but would like to look at a bigger picture of the area. Thanks.

I liked the location of the campground...but I was only there a few days compared to everyone else.....and I know they did have an issue with negociated price or something.

As far as maps go, I really like the Trails Illustrated and Latitude40 Maps...both have maps for the Telluride/Silverton/Ouray area

http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_141
http://latitude40maps.com/tso.html

Hey Doc...
If ya got any questions about the area....
contact the guy that own this site, Darren Kilgore.
He helped me out a BUNCH on planning my 1st trip to the San Juans.
He knows the area VERY well.
Iam sure he would be MORE than happy to help ya out.
Funny thing....
after all the help he gave me... on the day I arrived I set up camp at the KOA in Ouray and then headed up Yankee Boy. Almost at the top... guess who I ran in to...
Darren.
Got to meet him face to face.

EDIT:
oops...
forgot the link to his site.
smilies-32727.png

http://www.mycolorado.org/index.html
there is a link at the bottom of the page to email him if ya want.

Last edited:
Well, we have our reservations made. We will be spending the entire week in Silverton with the exception of Tuesday night where we will be in Durango to ride the train the next day.

If anyone wants to come meet up with us, let me know. We will be staying at Red Mountain RV park.
http://www.redmtmotelrvpk.com/

Was going to stay at the other place but after three months of no return Email or phone calls I had to find another spot.

I've stayed at the Red Mountain RV park before....... decent place, but it's right above the highway and kind of the highest point in Silverton....... so it was always windy. Also, you may want to ask if your lot is anywhere near the power lines - they hum and crack all night long. The owners are sticklers about every little thing so be sure to pay attention to all the rules they have..... they'll wake you up at 5 am just to move your friggin tent a few inches..... yeah, seriously.... they wouldn't let us put the tent up on the grass, had to be on the parking area of the lot which is made of landscape rock......... But, the place is kept up nice, nice facilities. It is the nicest place in Silverton short of staying in a B&B or Hotel.

The premo- wheeling should more than make up for any "issues" with your camping experience.

Wish it wasn't so far away from Denver...... it'd be cool to meet up with you guys for one day and hit Black Bear or Imogene.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wish there were more choices in Silverton. Seems like you kind of have to take the lesser of two evils.

Wind? No biggie...thats why I no longer have a tent. :D

Back