• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another... Build thread for an xj on 40s and one tons in norcal

The rod that the shift yolk is on might be getting jammed in the back of the slip yolk case. Take off the back (not the entire tcase) and see if you can line it up

That's what i figured when we were on the con bcuz It was adjusted pretty perfect

yeah it pops out driving around in the alley. I have adjusted it multiple times in the garage and keep messing with it. it wont hold 4 lo, and I don't think it even goes into 4 hi.

well...id pull the tcase and fully open her up to see whats going on in there. I have a feeling something is wrong with your shift yolk. And if you pull it and dont like what you can see, you area already half way to getting an atlas in ;)

those Ruffstuff stops should compress at least 1-1.5" I would hope.

seems overly sensitive to steering. I believe I had toe in about 1/16" so I might bring it in to 1/8" and recheck it. I also plan to bleed the hydro assist some more as well.

I am going to order the 2.5" bump stops and carry them on the first run if this is too much bump stop.

Yeah I have more high pressure inlets. I can swap one back in u guess

I only went 1/32 bigger though. It feels better at lower Rpms

Is it overly sensitive while in higher rpm or at all rpm ranges?

seems like higher RPMs only like it has a tendency to almost want to wander around more than than id like.

Could just be the soft suspension along with the hydro assist and I have found a lot of frame and body cracks all over which are not helping. the pass side rear leaf center pin looks bent to shit so I am sure the rear is not perfect centered until I replace that.

I might need to mess with kingpin preload, toe in, hydro assist bleeding, and maybe a front sway bar for on - road driving.

I removed the tire carrier today to weld up the rear .
then I had to pull the womans WJ in the garage to work on TRE and trackbar adjustments and replacements .

Think I found it
Maybe

Detent spring is toast

Last edited:
even better, dude had the ball/bullet looking thing on the bottom of the spring, not at the top at the shift gate where it is supposed to be. there is a good chance this will fix the tcase...

as for the steering, ill mess with it some more.

Got a spring for my tcase from a 97. Thanks tommy! He went to PnP and grabbed it while he was out getting stuff for his rig...

Back