• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another... Build thread for an xj on 40s and one tons in norcal

Lou said my tires where "Bouncing" on the freeway. which is exactly what it felt like in the wheel. looking for input from you guys

Out of balance tires? Flat spots on the tires from sitting too long? Bent wheel?

I like skippers idea... Or swap the 37s over while you save?? And sell the 40s. That thing would look so rad on treps.

Last edited:
Drain his bank account?

40s MT2s are getting ordered. I could have a bent rim that is true . I will have the place that mounts them look at it . maybe ill order one new rim for the driver side front tire.

Out of balance tires? Flat spots on the tires from sitting too long? Bent wheel?

I like skippers idea... Or swap the 37s over while you save?? And sell the 40s. That thing would look so rad on treps.

After watching the red beast rolling down the highway I'd say the passenger front is f'ed up and out of round. It wasn't wobbling like a bent rim, it was bouncing up and down beating the snot out of those fancy new 7100's that Jon put on there.

Last edited:
tires are getting rubbing front fenders so I need to trim another 1" off the front fenders, and add another 1" of bump stop, in the rear I am going to build some bump stops and add in my deavers.

40s are on the way.

picked up new hydro lines and heims for the hydro, pretty sure I have a ton of heims to replace the bad heims, and going to dial in the front by going to a true 3 link from the radius arm setup.

I also need to check the king pins and tighten the steering arms.

rear hatch is stuck closed.

I need to weld up the rear frame since its separating due to the weight of the bumper, and add some plating.

from there, I need to adjust the Tcase linkage, pull the tranny pan and replace the gasket and maybe the filter and maybe the rear output seal.

AC compressor bearing is toast, so Ill be swapping compressors.

rewire the fan switch,

I still need to steam clean the interior, but I scrubbed all the nastiness off of the center console.

I plan to cage it soon once all the above is done, and call the rig done.

I need to swap in my PSC box as well.

tires are getting rubbing front fenders so I need to trim another 1" off the front fenders, and add another 1" of bump stop, in the rear I am going to build some bump stops and add in my deavers.

40s are on the way.

picked up new hydro lines and heims for the hydro, pretty sure I have a ton of heims to replace the bad heims, and going to dial in the front by going to a true 3 link from the radius arm setup.

I need to weld up the rear frame since its separating due to the weight of the bumper, and add some plating.

from there, I need to adjust the Tcase linkage, pull the tranny pan and replace the gasket and maybe the filter and maybe the rear output seal.

rewire the fan switch,

I still need to steam clean the interior, but I scrubbed all the nastiness off of the center console.

check out "bleepinjeep" on YouTube to fix your rear hatch problem. I guess it's pretty common in the newer model xjs

40s are on the way.

rewire the fan switch,

This is better than your old jeep?

Wow.

at least one trackbar heim is bad if not both, swapping those out.
drag link heim was bad. swapping that out.

swapping out everything from 7/8 3/4 to 7/8 7/8 so all the heims are the same.

right now they are about a 50/50 mix of 7/8 3/4 and 7/8 7/8.

also, my guess on the ram was right, 1/2-20 RH female and male heims . swapped those out. going to weld some weld washers over the mounts, they actually don't look that wallowed out, but what the hell.

tires should be here tomorrow.

I need to call parts mike on a few things.

I have a ruffstuff order in for som 7/8 -> 9/16 misalignments and some 9/16ths weld washers and bolts.

ill be swapping out the hydro lines too this week.

then its welding up sway bar mounts axle and frame side to run my pro crack isuzu swayer setup.

then swap in the deavers in the rear and weld up some plating on the rear cross member where its separating.

making progress at least.

the easy stuff for now.

new issues:
king pins seem sloppy. dude said he just replaced them. I tightened the driver side and that side seems better already. I will check pass side next.
I guess worst case is replace the new king pins, but I think tightening them is going to do it.

AC doesn't come out of upper vents.

PS/hydro doesn't want to bleed. the power steering doesn't work well right now, even with a new pump and royal purple fluid. I probably have air in the lines.

swapped in a high output alternator, new PS pump, brand new water pump, idler pulley and AC compressor. and did a tune up. replaced some missing bolts here and there.

swapped out the trackbar heims and welded up weld washers over the mounts for good measure to prevent any future wallowing .

replaced a bad pitman arm heim too with a RS heim I had lying around. I actually still have like 3 brand new sets of RS 7/8 heims so I am just gonna use them up .

still need to mount new tires and fix tcase linkage among other things.

AC doesn't come out of the top two vents ?

ALso, I noticed the king pins have play in them . jacking up the front and dropping it down you can see the knuckles move. I tightened up the driver side and it seemed to do it. I need to check the pass side .

I might need to replace the king pins. Not sure yet.

new AC compressor

these came

Last edited:
For the hatch, try pressing as hard as you can on the license plate then while still pressing pull up on the handle. For some reason my hatch wont open unless I do that....and it only doesn't want to open when its hot out.

I cant wait to wheel with ya and your new rig!! We should try and get a rubicon party going for late this summer.

Back