• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

My 02 F150 towed and braked fine. Must be the added weight of the Expedition?

I disagree. I towed with my '02 with no trailer brakes and never had a problem braking or towing. Trailer was heavy as crap compared to my new set up.
maybe there's a difference between the NBS and the older ones like yours.

02 Expedition with a 5.4. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. Even with brakes on both trailer axles it can be a white knuckle adventure.

. Getting pushed around in the hills is what sucks. I will be picking up a load distributing hitch, hopefully that helps.

It will. The rear coils on an Expedition are too soft for heavy trailers without airbags or a weight distributing hitch.

maybe there's a difference between the NBS and the older ones like yours.

I have an 09 with a factory brake controler and some type of sway control in it now. I love the new set up in comparison. I will say she don't stop on a dime but then again what truck and trailer packed will? What you mean by NBS?

You guys and your little tow rigs.

:D

After towing with a real vehicle one knows to STAY AWAY from the 'little' tow rigs :shiver:

After towing with a real vehicle one knows to STAY AWAY from the 'little' tow rigs :shiver:
eh, i'd rather loose a few mpg's and a few mph on the hills and have the extra 15-40k in my pocket, and a warm place to sleep with a flat screen, queen size bed, captain's chairs, etc.
i'd like to loose a few hundred thousand miles on the motor, but that's cheap enough, even with a 383 swap.

Well i am super happy with my 05 Chevy Dmax. We got home from the Hammers about 6ish. I had 4 guys a bed full of chit & my jeep with trailer in tow. The truck got 14 or so mpg all the way up to 18 & change on the flats. We where driving at speeds 60 all the way up to 70 or so.

trust me, I know.

I towed my junk to harlan and the badlands behind a 1500 silverado with the 4.8.

For what I have in the toter it's miles above a 1/2 ton in safety. It's slow as hell, but what do you want from a N/A IDI?

it will do 73 on the flats given about 5 miles to put your foot on the floor.

eh, i'd rather loose a few mpg's and a few mph on the hills and have the extra 15-40k in my pocket, and a warm place to sleep with a flat screen, queen size bed, captain's chairs, etc.
i'd like to loose a few hundred thousand miles on the motor, but that's cheap enough, even with a 383 swap.

I've got 3 grand in a 5 ton chassis with plumbing and queen sized bed. Oh, it's moved about 5 people too. ;)

It's a safety issue...

1/2 ton trucks towing are simply dangerous to those around them. Not worth it.

It's a safety issue...

1/2 ton trucks towing are simply dangerous to those around them. Not worth it.
ah. yea, the brakes on my jeep are definitely bigger than the ones on my 3/4 ton van. but the van handles suprisingly well with the trailer on it... just gotta plan a little in advance for the stopping or it's skid city.

disagree. if you have proper brakes on your trailer and the proper wd hitch, a 1/2 ton truck is fine. I've been towing with 1/2 tons for the past forever.

It is still not the same as a 'real' truck and never will be. Trailer brakes are only part of it. The truck still needs to be able to control the load. A WD hitch does help but at the end of the day is not the same.

On another note, using a 'real' truck is better for the driver as well. There is less stress on the driver and doesn't wear the driver out as much when using the right tool for the right job. I know many who make the '1/2 ton claim' that they are good but after a 8 hour drive they are all beat to hell where those of us who tow with 'real' trucks are ready to wheel all night.

My friend Matty use to claim up and down his 1/2 ton was perfect and powerful and would almost defend it to the death. Now he owns a late model 1 ton and apologizes profusely about how wrong he was defending the 1/2 tons. Running the Sierras here in Calornia not only would wear out his 1/2 ton, he too was worn out from driving it.

To me, towing a full body loaded vehicle on the road requires the proper tools. Towing with a 1/2 ton is like using a vice grip when you should be using a flare nut wrench.....just not good.

I think you need to also take into account that in the Midwest we don't have the hills that you folks have in other places. For the most part, a 1/2 ton truck will do the job fine around here. I towed my XJ in 2003 to Moab with a 2000 F150 with the 5.4. It did the job just fine and got 9 mpg. I tow a big mess with a 1 ton now, but if I had to, I would go back to a 1/2 with my single place again in a heartbeat. Hell, I towed with a dakota before the F150 and wish I would've just kept that a few more years, but that was really on the edge towing.

If we were more in a hilly area here, like anything west of St. Louis, I would be more inclined to agreed with using more than a 1/2 ton truck.

Shoot, the new F150 body will tow 10k.

mac 'towing jeeps for 14 years' gyvr

Back