• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please Check my Axel Shafts..What do you think?

Xjin85

NAXJA Forum User
Hey fella's,
So I took out my axel shafts and removed the U-joints. They were in pretty rough shape initially but I also did some damage myself when using the angle grinder bc they were already rusted to hell so it took alot of heat and banging with the sledge. Would these still be OK to use with the new U-joints if I filed down those edges in the holes where the u-joint go??

Axel Shaft 1Pic
Axel Shaft 2 Pic
Axel Shaft 3 Pic
Axel Shaft 4 pic

Kinda concerned and would love to know your thoughts. These are wicked expensive so I'd like to avoid buying new ones if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.,

-Fletch

That pic 2 is really rough!!!

Depends on how you use the rig. If all you run are fire roads on stock tires, then I wouldn't have an issue reusing those if funds were tight. What concerns me is your statement "it took alot of heat". Too much heat will anneal the factory heat treatment. But if you're in the rocks or in 4-low alot then save up for replacements and keep these as spares.

The ears look bent to me. Usually caused by the poor technique everyone uses to press them out. Pressing on the upper ear, causing it to bend if the cap is stuck. Besides the grinder and the hatchet, did you use a press or a sledge hammer?

They were pretty beat up already. Which actually explains alot.
Now I have to find some axel shafts to buy. This thing just keeps taking my money.

Anyone in the Boston area have any they's like to sell?

And I would throw away my hammer.
I could never do it with a hammer and a socket like many do. Years ago I invested in a harbor freight u-joint/ball joint press. Money in the Bank

Here's my technique: I have a piece of u-channel that I stick underneath, supporting the sides of the ujoint cross. Then I stick a big socket on the top and press on that. This forces u-joint upwards, and the upper cap pushes out into the socket on top. That way, you're only pushing one cap at a time, and there is no force trying to bend the shaft ears.

Unless you used an acetylene torch and got them cherry red hot, they are fine. Ugly, but usable. I would source good used replacements with the larger u-joints, $18 each at my local Pic-n-Pull.

Proper tools save time, and prevent curse words, damage, and added expenses.

Last edited:
Unless you used an acetylene torch and got them cherry red hot, they are fine. Ugly, but usable. I would source good used replacements with the larger u-joints, $18 each at my local Pic-n-Pull.

Proper tools save time, and prevent curse words, damage, and added expenses.

That tool still can still bend the opposite side ear!

Back