• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

subs in xjs

Well some one did ask in here about something a little more discreet, available online are (quadratec.com, etc) are premade boxes that fit the well opposite the spare tire and fit a 8" or 10", not sure on the performance though, its what I'd like to do though, any one used one? I dont need to overwhelm just a nice bottom end to things, I'd put a memphis in there thats what ive replaced everything else with. I had the premium sound package with tweeters in the upper doors and the amp under the back seat, will also be upgrading the amp in the future

hempy said:
2 12"s for christmas last year (meh) and a JBL 600.1 from a junker.

pics074.jpg

Once I have income I'll be upgrading to an Adire Brahma or RE XXX 15.

be careful with that amp.. i had the EXACT same one, and it cought on fire.... connections were all good and fused correctly. blew up a resistor on the board (i think thats what it was, there wasn't much left). although if you're comfortable taking the covers off i might ask you to tell me what the part is and maybe i can solder in a new one

twoksl2 said:
be careful with that amp.. i had the EXACT same one, and it cought on fire.... connections were all good and fused correctly. blew up a resistor on the board (i think thats what it was, there wasn't much left). although if you're comfortable taking the covers off i might ask you to tell me what the part is and maybe i can solder in a new one
Amp is waiting in a closet now. It sure took a beating from me though, and never gave out. I'd be happy to take some shots for you or at least try to identify any of the components. You can PM and we'l go from there.

I haven't been around here much, and my system has changed a bit since I was last here...

I'm currently throwing together a fiberglass amp rack for my 100x2 and 1000x1 to run my components and an eD 19ov.2

It looks....manly.....doesn't it?

0161.jpg

I would twist them so the tweeter was up by the roof instead of hanging like that.Nice setup tho

I custom made all the pods, amp rack, and removable box. Just fiberglass, MDF, and hobby wood.

Once I made the pods and installed them I wanted to change them. I will change them when I get some new speakers. The Alpine X's are nice, but the Infinity Kappa Perfects, I just installed into a buddies car, just perform better.

I'm also thinking about removing those subs and going with four new JL W3 6.5 inch subs that are light and small enough to mount to the roof. They only need .2 cubic feet of airspace a piece and we have the ability to mount a roll bar type mount to the roof supports. This way I can take the sound with me on trail rides and not lose tool/equpiment space. It won't have the same thump, but I am getting tired of that stuff anyways.

Last edited:
i know this info is out there, but whats the best direction to have the sub firing?

It is a matter of opinion in an XJ. Since the cabin is open it doesn't really matter. Sound produced by a sub is omni-directional. Long story short... Lower frequencies travel through objects better than higher frequencies, but subs put in a trunk of a car, with no way to move air to the front, the sound will be deminished for the intended listener.

I like to see the subs, so I put them out in the open. But, I have see a really sweet TJ with the back seat frame acting as a mounting point for a sub box. Completely stealth, and trick. Seat still folds up to expose the sub, and the seat is re foamed to allow the old appolstery to go back on. It is on the web.

My goal is to get my speakers as high as possible the next build so that I can cross more creeks with confidence.

beatassXJ said:
Thanks man, thats exactly what i wanna do. with that same sub i think too. or a 10'' Alpine type R- but that might be pretty tight on space..

Havent been a fan of the Alpine stuff for a few years now. Since they went big box store there quality has gone down! That little JL W3 sounds like a 10. I was impressed.

jforse said:
Havent been a fan of the Alpine stuff for a few years now. Since they went big box store there quality has gone down!

I agree. These Type X components were bought a year after they started that whole movement, and they do not sound even close to as good as some other high end brands. I got them really cheap, and thats what they sound like compared to a Kappa Perfect or a MB quartz. My original 6.5 Polk/Momo components were way better on reproducing lower freq's.

And nice job on the box, it is a real clean setup.

i just have an 8" but it really fills out the sound nicely. i mostly listen to rock so its perfect for me. powered by an alpine mrp-m350 amp and alpine cda-9856 deck.
100_1341.jpg

100_1340.jpg

100_1339.jpg

100_1342.jpg

matt1994xj said:
i just have an 8" but it really fills out the sound nicely. i mostly listen to rock so its perfect for me. powered by an alpine mrp-m350 amp and alpine cda-9856 deck.
100_1341.jpg

100_1340.jpg

100_1339.jpg

100_1342.jpg
Thats almost exactly what I want to do with mine. Good job:yelclap:

How is the box mounted? Any rattling going on?

Back