• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just another poopbox making its way to 1tons. " project neglected"

Re: just another shitbox making its way to 1tons. " project neglected"

Go to any ultra 4 race. I guarantee on 90% of the rigs you will not find a spring with a rate higher than 200 and that's even on trailing arm cars

Another thing is try to keep your two rates within 50lbs of each other. The transition will be a lot less harsh

what the hell are you talking about?

OP:
I ran 16" coilovers in the rear of my xj, spring rates were 200/300 with a helper spring on top. It was a triple rate setup.
On the front i ran 14" coilovers with 150/275, dual rate setup. I had approx 6" uptravel in the front, 7-8" in the rear at 5-5.5" lift. My jeep weighed 4800lbs with 1 tons, 37"s, winch, doubler, etc.

I've tried softer and stiffer, i'd definitely rather be on the stiff side than the soft side for stability reasons. It had no problem flexing, and would still flex with all it's travel even with stiffer springs, so i wouldn't worry about that too much. I also liked to have the dual rate stop set within about 1"-1.5" from the slider at ride height. This helped a ton with handling, and i never really noticed the transition to only the 300lb/275lb spring rates.

just another shitbox making its way to 1tons. " project neglected"

what the hell are you talking about?

OP:

I ran 16" coilovers in the rear of my xj, spring rates were 200/300 with a helper spring on top. It was a triple rate setup.

On the front i ran 14" coilovers with 150/275, dual rate setup. I had approx 6" uptravel in the front, 7-8" in the rear at 5-5.5" lift. My jeep weighed 4800lbs with 1 tons, 37"s, winch, doubler, etc.

I've tried softer and stiffer, i'd definitely rather be on the stiff side than the soft side for stability reasons. It had no problem flexing, and would still flex with all it's travel even with stiffer springs, so i wouldn't worry about that too much. I also liked to have the dual rate stop set within about 1"-1.5" from the slider at ride height. This helped a ton with handling, and i never really noticed the transition to only the 300lb/275lb spring rates.

I guess you've never preloaded your springs... Ask any shock tuner and they'll agree

I ordered a JD squared model 3 bender a few months ago. finally riggered up a mount for it. 3/8ths flat stock burned to 2x2 .250 wall tube. then burned that to a 4 foot long chunk of 1/2 I-beam and sunk it 2' under ground. havent used it yet, but in theory it should work, and be half way easy to remove if ever need be.

71_zpsu8hk83mm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

id been looking for tires for awhile - wasnt looking to spend a fortune, but wanted something with some tread, found some 37s some 35s, all for 16.5 wheel, which - personally im not to fond of. just dont like the small availability of tires. I ended up with this set of 39.5 Iroks.

76_zpsiixwejiw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ordered some Black Rock steelies off summit

20150410_130658_zpsjirgbvgb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

told my brother to pull his fenders and run em. :guitar:

good ol brown box showed up with my bastard joints(for now) and rear calipers

IMG_20150408_021956_zpsai5wvwrr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

im thinking about going 3/4 ton brakes on the front also... why? parts are readily available and cheap, it will still stop 39.5s on an XJ, could run 15" wheels with out grinding if need be, shave 50-60 pounds off this bastard of a 60. I also think the stock master (brand new unit last summer) will be able move the 4 single piston calipers fine. I could be wrong - anyone done the swap?

My stock 95 XJ master cylinder stopped the dual piston fronts and single piston rears just fine on the popcan with 39 Krawlers on it.

15 inch rims would not have fit on mine without grinding.

mac 'I actually ran 17s because the tires were red label comp tires' gyvr

My stock 95 XJ master cylinder stopped the dual piston fronts and single piston rears just fine on the popcan with 39 Krawlers on it.

15 inch rims would not have fit on mine without grinding.

mac 'I actually ran 17s because the tires were red label comp tires' gyvr

Ive got 17s too. looks like Il be leaving the master alone then, and sticking with the big duals up front. my main reason for doing the swap would have been weight...

made the lower links

IMG_20150415_181320_zpsjavj9ftu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

burned the lower mounts on

IMG_20150418_150858_zpssatpy1dg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

got the axle sitting underneath and made up the upper link.

20150418_211513_zpsz4qsmqhd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20150418_211806_zpsjvj1x15n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

still have to burn the tubes to the pig, and do some more cleaning/welding on the link mounts.

hopefully tomorrow il be able to stop by Griffen Fab works, and have them bend my tie rod for me. Putting a 15* bend at each side to get away from the dif cover.

I put hi-steer arms on mine. They bolt nicely to the top of the kingpin d60.

mac 'clears the diff cover' gyvr

I put hi-steer arms on mine. They bolt nicely to the top of the kingpin d60.

mac 'clears the diff cover' gyvr

as do most. that was my original plan.

now im thinking just running pass. side for drag link, and leave tie rod lower. Mount my assist ram to either the tube or low on the Upper link mount, keeping leverage off of it.

most also truss them. I have enough fun trying to move this thing around by myself as it is. didnt think the added weight was that necessary for the tin can above it.

I could see the ford knuckles (stock) cracking and having issues before bending a tube - i very well could be wrong.

This was how mine was set up.

mac 'not necessarily apples to apples...' gyvr

Any reason you're not going double ended?

EDIT

Nevermind, I thought you were going full hydro...

He said double ended...

Maybe I'm not crazy. I swear I read that somewhere... Because he just said tie rod and drag link..

Or are you talking about dildo's ? :D

yal are a trip. pure awesome.

got the tie rod done waiting on my high steer arm and springless cap to come in.

IMG_20150501_113729_zpsfr2lgyut.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

got the chevy 63s in. hoping my gangster leaf spring hangers hold up, top plate will be getting a kicker or two off the cage and bottom will be welded to the frame stiffeners.

Photo_2015-05-03_08-05-30_PM_zpsjyjdmkgu.png
[/URL][/IMG]

going to have to chop my shock hoops down a few inches, at free hanging droop I have 1" extension left - on 14" travel shocks.... this thing is going to end up taller then I had originally planned.

20150505_001934_zpsqfncbgj9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

that, that, thats all for now folks.

messed around with the jd

now trying to decide if i want to completely cut out the inner fender, or if i want to just clearance it to get the hoops to the stand offs and for C/Os.

How about you just give me her number, and I'll cut your inner fenders out. She can't live too far away.

Back