• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard Finds

Mike, some people are rock hounds, you are a jeep part hound. It's a compliment. :)

Thanks, Fred! I see other goodies that are not necessarily XJ related. :)

I'm still wondering, when and why would you use those capstans?

PARTSDOG514a.jpg

Might that be a marine application winch?...... re-purposed onto whatever truck that it now resides on? Don't they use rope on capstans in order to draw the ship close to the dock?

I don't know what other application this might be from. It is chain driven off a PTO shaft. I can't help but think that if the capstans are turning, everything else is turning.
PARTSDOG514b.jpg

PARTSDOG515a.jpg

PARTSDOG532a.jpg

Is there anything from any vehicles in particular I should be looking for while I'm in the pull yards? I end up there with my buddy quite a bit and I'm always looking at hardbody nissans and xj's, wranglers, zj's, wj's for parts.. Stronger steering boxes? some sort of radiator or cooling system for the power steering? Tranny cooler? Electric fan? louvers from what cars are being used as hood vents all the time?

I'm typically just always looking at axles, coils, links, leafs, tie rods, wheels, tires, things like that..

I'm just wondering what some common swap out parts or upgrades from other vehicles are that I could be harvesting..

lebaron hood vents

78-79 ford bronco or f150 or f250 axles

ZJ disc brakes (rear)

fuel injectors out of dodge neon's 703's

chevy s-10 leaf springs

chevy s-10 tcase internals (wide chain)

ford explorer 8.8 rear axle w/ disc brakes already on it. can get them w/ 3.73's or 4.10's then pull a D30 from a ZJ, swap the axle shafts and you're golden!

Does anyone plan to visit the U-Pull-And-Pay in Denver near 25 & 76 this week? If so, I'd like for someone to take a quick peek at something for me. Please let me know. :)

Scott

I was just there on Sunday and wandered most of the yard. What are you looking for?

There's a '97 Ford E350 van there (according to their inventory) and I'm looking to see what axle is in the rear, and whether or not it's even there anymore.

The tail light housings were there also.

001-1.jpg

Where Mike?

Looks like it might also have the Mopar hidden winch set up behind that bumper?

It looked like someone didn't know how to install the factory tow hood brackets. I did not see any extra brackets under the front.

004.jpg

Sure looks like a Mopar hidden winch set up to me.....

6228449668_37d9c442fd_b.jpg

Looks to be missing the fair lead ...... Probably another bumper put on later in life.

Ima gonna try to snatch that up Friday or Saturday.......

Last edited:
Colorado Springs UPAP ROW d7 (i think) they have a 99 Gunmetal 4 door with a 5 speed in it if anybody is looking. It is a 4.0. Frt clip is gone. Was down there Sunday

Hey, I forgot about this thread. I noticed that the UPAP in North Denver has a ton of ZJ's, all with their front steering. For those with stock steering, it's a cheap and easy upgrade.

I saw three or four of the Taurus fans at N. Denver U-Pull.

:mad:

Must have gotten more taurus's in then.

All the 90-95 3.8L taurus's I could find at 4 different yards except ONE (which I got) all had their fans gone.
If it is any consolation, there were more cars missing fans, than cars that had them.

Looking under all those hoods did make me wonder why people are not interested in the dual fans the newer models have.

Stumbled on this when looking at Colorado Auto and Part's website. They posted they were now subscribed to Row52.com for their inventory listing. Seems to be a good site. Has a photo of the vehicle and where it can be found. You can sign up to get notices of new inventory for specific yards or other search parameters.

Here's a link of what a search results page looks like:

http://row52.com/Search/?Year=1986-...istance=Radius&MakeId=155&ModelId=2940&Page=1

Hoping this works better than the notification feature for Pull-n-Pay. I never get notified of new arrival cars that I've selected.

Back